forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Tue 29 Jun 10 1:04am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Do you compost?

My compost bins are my pets, they are called Bernard and Fran, and now my neighbour has one, so I am quietly calling it Manny!
We live in flats so there isn't much space for them, but we manage! I have a twirly metal stick for keeping them aerated. I have just emptied Bernard and am starting to fill him up again while Fran is completely full and will digest for a couple of months!
I haven't really lived in a place without a compost heap in my adult life. I couldn't bear to put food scraps in the rubbish! I tried, it was horrible!
smile  cool

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 29 Jun 10 3:53pm

daleclarke

Member since Tue 08 Jun 10

Three compost bins on the go and would have more if I could, since doing it 20 years ago properly and with the Plastic & paper collections starting last year our rubbish is now a 1/3rd of what it was! I just cannot make enough though as I use the raised bed system and use pots to grow veg! My compost bins love shredded paper which gives an extra security blanket to my bills but certainly doesn't like teabag outers and I remove them now.

Hopefully a wormery will be happening soon!

I collect leaves every year for the leave mould and keep it for a year and what a mulch it makes...

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 29 Jun 10 7:01pm

CatyL

Occupation Free Lance Editor
From San Francisco CA
Member since Mon 26 Apr 10

Composting became mandatory in San Francisco about a year-and-a-half ago.  Many residents live in apartments, and have no access to a private yard that's large enough to accommodate a compost "bed" or "heap."  The city issues mini garbage cans (about 12 inches high), that we line with biodegradable bags, for the deposit of the week's food scraps.  The scraps go into a large can that goes out for weekly pick up.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 30 Jun 10 7:51am

ruby-boo

Member since Mon 21 Jun 10

Hey all, I am a dreadfully lazy composter. I have a heap which i put kitchen scraps in - but not onion as the worms don't like it - and never meat or dairy, I add all garden waste - unless it is diseased - and the bedding from the chook house, any grass clippings. I'll add comfrey cause it is an activater, I think yarrow is too and there are some others. Then it will sit and sit and sit. It breaks down but it takes ages. I have space so I am not too worried.

Then I'll start up a new one somewhere else and the cycle goes on. But things grow out of the compost heap so I'll let them and then just keep adding or not. As I said pretty lazy. My mum used to just buy a bin and cut the bottom off and leave the lid on.

But with the horses and cows I put their poop in a pile with grass clippings and let it sit for at least 6 months because they get wormed -as in they get stuff to stop worms in them - and it takes that long for it to breakdown properly. I never have these piles near where I am growing food, they tend to be in the paddock so nothing gets into my growing soil, I like organic growing.

Worm farms are fabulous things and I will get one one day, but at the moment I get worm wee off a mate so I'm not tooo worried. Kat.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 30 Jun 10 10:19pm

CatyL

Occupation Free Lance Editor
From San Francisco CA
Member since Mon 26 Apr 10

My maternal grandparents both grew up on farms in the early 1900's, and they were avid composters.  My grandfather built a large concrete box for the "heap," and tended to it on a regular basis.   Not surprisingly, their garden was beautiful and healthy.

It was only a few years ago that my mother and uncle confessed that, as kids, they felt embarrassed that their parents insisted on compost ..., "everyone else's family relied on the garbage pick-up, and they didn't HAVE to separate food scraps." 

Today, of course, they laugh about it, and appreciate the fierce recycling focus that their parents had.  They have become disciples, and have a lot of experience upon which to draw from my grandparents' example.   clap

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 02 Jul 10 4:00pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Yes I compost, but I must confess that I don't aerate it as often as I should.  I'm amazed at how much stuff I put in there and how little comes out!  We also have a green recycling program in our area which takes branches and things I don't want in the compost,  they grind it up then sell compost and mulch for very reasonable prices.  That's where I get the compost for my raised beds since I can't make enough for all 5 of them.

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 02 Jul 10 4:36pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Our state offers organic leaf compost for reasonable prices.  We filled  a small pick up truck three times and it was barely enough for our tiny garden, but we've got solid clay.  We could make bricks or sculpture.

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 03 Jul 10 11:55am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

We compost anything and everything organic, it doesn't go very far though, soil is reclaimed river flats, very poor plant nutrition and becomes waterlogged every time it rains. Squelchy, sinking ground under foot even just off the path.

Likes (0)

#19 Mon 05 Jul 10 7:18am

chocolatl

Occupation mom and writer, in that order
From Illinois, USA
Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

I compost garden waste but not food waste because of the critters around.  We already have squirrels and raccoons digging in; I don't need rats as well.

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 08 Jul 10 2:32am

magswell

Occupation School camp cook.
From Far North Queensland.
Member since Sun 02 May 10

G'day....yes we compost...we have two worm farms...both  working away like mad. Our worm wee is so good we have to dilute it lol. We give it to friends instead of bottles of wine...they all know they can count on us for at least one bottle for their birthday.  We recycle our wine bottles .Our garden is booming....fruit and veggies everywhere....it helps that we live in the tropics and where the weather is perfect for that...the farms around us grow corn, avocado, macadamia nuts peanuts bananas etc. We can buy most of what we need from farmers markets.... every weekend in various villages nearby....but  it's much more fun to do it ourselves.
I have laid awake at night thinking about those worms munching and crunching away....doing what they do best....enriching our soils and it's all free.  clap

Likes (0)