Subscribe to forums RSS

#2921 Fri 02 Apr 10 11:55am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold
Member since Fri 09 Jul 04

Re: The Silk Road

Hi Denise..welcome!

I imagine that the versions of the chicken dishes you are looking for were popularised in American Chinese eateries....I had never heard of General Tso's chicken till I googled it!
Orange chicken can be a variation of lemon chicken.

I would take 500g of thick slices of chicken breast or thigh meat, then marinate them with 1/2 tsp salt,1/2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp cornflour, ginger juice (grate 1 tbsp worth of ginger,mix with 1 tsp sherry then really squeeze the juice over) and 1/2 tsp sesame oil. Leave to meld for about an hour.
Then coat it with rice flour, beaten egg and another coatng of rice flour, deep fry in hot peanut oil till crisp and golden. Spread on paper towels in a single layer while you get on with the sauce.

To a dry pan, heat up 1 tbsp of oil and saute 1tsp sugar,some grated garlic and ginger, along with some sliced chillies for heat if you like,till lightly browned. Stir in the juice of 2 large oranges and 1 dried tangerine peel (which you have washed,from chinese medical stores)..failing which,just use the zest of an orange. Tip in some soy to taste and about 1/4 cup of thai sweet chilli. Boil till syrupy,discard the tangerine peel and toss the chicken pieces in it,serve immediately.

For general Tso's chicken, I would prepare the chicken in the same way,except the sauce is different.
Heat up 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and saute 1 tsp grated ginger,1 tsp grated garlic and 1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions with some szechuan chilli pepper,depending on how much you like. Add 3 tbsp of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of black vinegar,soy to taste and a big splash of sherry or chinese cooking wine and bubble away till syrupy,drizzle with a little sesame oil and taste. Toss the chicken in it and serve immediately. it should be a sweet,spicy,sour yet savoury sauce.

Ichiban is a japanese restaurant? What you enjoyed would most definitely be a miso soup.
Are there any decent asian stores in your area whereby you can get hold of some good white miso paste and dashi granules?

Hope this helps!  smile

Likes (0)

#2922 Fri 02 Apr 10 2:59pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

You are awesome!  Thank you very much.  I can't wait to try it!  Yes, I have access to good asian ingredients.  Miso soup, huh?  I'll have to figure that one out too!  Thank you thank you thank you!

Likes (0)

#2923 Tue 20 Apr 10 11:45pm

AndyH

Occupation Drinks Taster
From Beer Garden
Member since Sun 04 Jul 04

Hiya Kris,

It was good although Stef kept sending copies of her new Recipea Book puke

Something needs to be done with that girl lol

Likes (0)

#2924 Wed 21 Apr 10 12:01am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Andy! Thought of you yesterday mate - no kidding - the SPAM was on sale at Coles.

I whizzed past as fast as I could but couldnt help but chuckle..

Likes (0)

#2925 Thu 22 Apr 10 4:04am

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

I have a terrible confession to make guys...
I fried off some cubed Spam that day to render some fat and used it to make fried rice...stirred in the crisp Spam...Lord it was delicious...

shocked

Likes (0)

#2926 Thu 22 Apr 10 5:13am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Haven't seen you on here in ages, Stephanie!  You're temping me to buy a block of Spam.  You're not messing with us, are you?

Likes (0)

#2927 Thu 22 Apr 10 11:13am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

AndyH wrote:

Hiya Kris,

It was good although Stef kept sending copies of her new Recipea Book puke

Something needs to be done with that girl lol

Hi Andy, lovely to 'see' you!  big_smile .....sorry, just read your post now, thanks! Glad you had a nice Easter!
lol  She's a busy gal our, Stef!!
I'm still waiting for you all to arrive in the Pea Mobile - any chance maybe next yr, for the Rugby World Cup in N.Z.?!!
Also, wave  Hi Stef, Frizz & All!

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Thu 22 Apr 10 11:15am)

Likes (0)

#2928 Sat 03 Jul 10 10:49am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

wave Hi Stef (the " 'Queen-of-The Silk Road!' "!!)....life must be busy busy over in your neck-of-the-woods?? Always thinking of you my dear, Steffi Girl, hope to catch-up with you real soon! Take care; Kris  kiss

Likes (0)

#2929 Sun 04 Jul 10 4:05am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Im thinking that Stef is buried under an enormous amount of papers she is supposed to be grading....

Hope she is ok!

Likes (0)

#2930 Tue 06 Jul 10 4:37pm

Stefanie

Forum champ
From Flashing my gold

oh hello strangers!  smile

It's good to be back on,yes I have actually disappeared under a pile of growing papers but that's another story, good to hear from you Krissy girl,thinking of you too!
Belle..how the heck have you been? How are the kids at home?

I have something to share actually, it's pretty darn good and something that is a nice finger food to serve with drinks.

Sticky Sesame Ribs:

700g rack of baby back ribs
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup water
1 cup orange juice
2 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp light soy
5 small chunks of rock sugar
toasted sesame seeds to serve

HOW:
Sprinkle salt and pepper generously over ribs and rub well. In a non-stick pan heated till searingly hot, sear rack of ribs in dry pan till well-browned. Set aside.

Bring the water, orange juice, sherry,soy sauce, and sugar to the boil. Lower ribs in and simmer till almost dry, the ribs will be tender and glazed.
Let it rest for 10 minutes then cut into pieces and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately!

Likes (0)