forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#991 Wed 21 Jul 10 5:14am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Re: Ready, Set, Cook Discussion Thread

I love your mexican idea and getting the children involved Gem,  I'm sure Marie would have loved that idea, let us know how it all goes.

I did the special dinner for Marie last night.  I took the meal from the invention test with the 7 deadly sins (I have to admit I found the whole invention test idea rather repulsive but I did want to try Alvins dish), Greed- Caramelised Pork Belly with Chilli Vinegar and Saffron Rice.  We also added spring rolls to the equation, we has some spring roll mix in the freezer from previous night of cooking so they were pretty simple. But the pork belly was a whole lot of work.  I put a link to the recipe at the bottom of the post and link to my blog page for a photo.  I have also pasted the recipe in for those who cant access the link.  I'm afraid I cant find my spring roll recipe at the moment, but if I come accross it later I'll post it up.

This acutally took ages to make, all up about 4 hours and the OH and I were doing it together.  It would have given Marie heaps of time to have a few glasses of wine while laughing at our bickering in the kitchen over forgotten ingredients and my cigarette cravings.  I was a tired biatch with attitude after a long day at the shops and was tormented by day 3 nicotine withdrawl, but we stuck it out and and wow was it worth it.  The pork really does melt in your mouth and the taste is incredible.  The was one really dangerous problem with the recipe, that is deep frying the pork belly.  We used pork rashers, which is just pork belly cut into strips.  As you will see in the recipe you first cook it in a marinade for an hour, drain it off, then deep fry it.  The problem is when you deep fry something so fatty the fat really flies.  The OH did the frying part, we had a 4 litre pot with 1 litre of peanut oil, and fried just 3 pieces at a time, the fat bubbled and exploded and splattered, the lid had to be kept on while it was cooking, creating an overboil danger, but it was only way not to get sprayed with massive amounts of boiling oil.  In the end the OH did get a rather nasty burn on his inner wrist.  We have agreed to try again by shallow frying in a deeper pan for less chance of high splatter, it couldnt hurt the budget either. I spent $5.50 on a bottle of peanut oil, all of which was used, and I still came up short.  In the end I had to run across to the corner store to top up the deep fry oil.  The store had no peanut oil, I ended up buying 750mls of sunflower oil for a whopping $8.00. I bought saffron for the first time, but have to admit, I wouldnt have known it was in the rice given the sweetness of the sauce the pork was in which soaked into the rice anyway.  The rice came out a little gluggy too, I wonder if I should have rinsed it for longer, or maybe soaked it in cold water a couple of times instead.  Had my day not been so exhausting I would have put on some ambient music and set the table with my silky red table cloth, candles and flowers, and finished off with a good girly movie and icecream sundaes.  At the end of the day I'm hoping Marie would have enjoyed the reality of cooking a challenging meal under challenging circumstances and made the most of it.  smile   

Blog pic-

http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/bloggers/ … hpid=64242

Recipe link-

http://www.masterchef.com.au/greed-cara … n-rice.htm

Caramelised Pork Belly with Chilli Vinegar and Saffron Rice

Ingredients

8 garlic cloves, chopped
15 black peppercorns
Peanut oil, for frying
2.6L chicken stock
cup shaoxing wine
1 cup cooking caramel (karamel masakan)
1 cups light soy sauce
cup oyster sauce
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp ground star anise
1kg pork belly
300g brown sugar
1/3 cup fish sauce
2 tbs lime juice
3 eschalots, sliced
5cm piece of ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
pinch saffron threads
2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
1 tbs black sesame seeds
2 long red chillies, thinly sliced
cup rice wine vinegar
Coriander leaves, to garnish

Method
Step 1: In a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and peppercorns to a paste.  Heat some peanut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and fry the paste until fragrant. Add 2L of the chicken stock, shaoxing wine, cooking caramel, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, cinnamon stick and star anise.  Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the pork belly and cook for 1 hour. Remove the pork belly from the stock and set aside to cool before cutting it into bite-sized pieces, reserving braising liquid. 

Step 2: Pour enough peanut oil into a saucepan to fill it by one third and heat to 180C. Deep fry pork pieces until golden brown and then set aside.

Step 3: Preheat oven to 60C.

Step 4: Add the brown sugar to a saucepan set over medium heat and cook until the sugar starts to caramelise.  Add 1 cup of the reserved braising liquid, fish sauce and lime juice. Increase the heat to medium-high and reduce the sauce by 1/3, then add the pork pieces. Keep warm until ready to serve.

Step 5: Meanwhile, pour enough peanut oil into a small saucepan to fill it by one third. Heat the oil over medium heat and fry the eschalots until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towel. Repeat process for the ginger and reserve the oil. 

Step 6: Add cup of the eschalot/ginger peanut oil to a heat-proof bowl or dish with the saffron threads and place in the oven for 20 minutes to infuse.

Step 7: Add 2 tablespoons of the saffron oil to a saucepan, then add the rice and stir to coat. Add the remaining chicken stock, cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked.  Fluff with a fork, spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Step 8: To serve, combine the sliced chilli with the vinegar in a bowl. Garnish the pork with the crispy eschalots, crispy ginger and coriander leaves. Serve with the saffron and sesame rice.

Serves 4-6

Likes (0)

#992 Wed 21 Jul 10 5:16am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

OOOOh we're at page 100  big_smile

Likes (0)

#993 Wed 21 Jul 10 6:54am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Tara, you need to fix your blog pic link in the above post so we can get to your lovely pic.

You did an amazing job considering the circumstances  clap

Likes (0)

#994 Wed 21 Jul 10 8:05am

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

Congratulations to all of us on our century!

100 posts - hip hip hooray  clap Here's to the next 100  big_smile

Tara - wow what a big effort but you got there in the end. How did it taste? The frying sounds scary! I read somewhere that moisture added to hot oil increases in volume by 1000 times hence the spitting and possible spilling over of hot oil. I have a fire blanket in my kitchen ready for the chance of catastrophe. I got a good rice cooker on sale at Harris Scarfe for $35 instead of the usual $50 and love it. So easy and great results and of course keeps the rice warm. Nigella recommends one, and so does Neil Perry - so I was sold on the idea, and all the Asians I have seen travelling between countries with their rice cookers is a bit of an endorsement.

Well I reckon Marie would have been sipping at her wine while having a bit of a giggle at the dinner preparation. But as they keep saying on Masterchef it is the taste that matters!

I am also doing a pork belly for Marie tonight. Hope she loved pork. I am doing one with a caramel sauce and bok choy side, and dessert will be caramel slice - all going well. So I better get a move on to get my pork belly in the oven!

Likes (0)

#995 Wed 21 Jul 10 2:26pm

jutta73

Forum champ

We had our feast in honour of Marie tonight and it turned out wonderfully. I made Crisp Pork Belly with caramel vinegar, served with roast potatoes, steamed veggies, and bok choy with sweet soy and lime. Dessert was Chocolate Caramel Slice - absolutely brilliant!!! All the recipes are from Holiday by Bill Granger. Here's links to the blogs on this site, plus as soon as I get them on my own blog I will post you links for that as I will include the recipes there. For now, here's the pics of dinner tonight.

http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/bloggers/ … p?id=64259

http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/bloggers/ … p?id=64260

Likes (0)

#996 Wed 21 Jul 10 4:18pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

All of these meals sound so wonderful.   big_smile

Likes (0)

#997 Thu 22 Jul 10 2:33am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hooray for page 100!  big_smile

Tara and Jutta Congratulations! What wonderful feasts!

I decided to start on the monks soup last night but when I went to make the dumplings I had a slurry, and the next direction was to knead it!!!!!
So I put the slurry into the loaf of bread I am making. It had finely chopped onion in it so it will make a nice savoury bread I think! And I turned the lentils into a plain veggie soup which is delicious. Hopefully I will have some more if it with savoury bread, for supper tonight.

And I will do some more research on Monk's Soup.

smile

Likes (0)

#998 Thu 22 Jul 10 3:24am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Luvmegrub wrote:

Tara, you need to fix your blog pic link in the above post so we can get to your lovely pic.

You did an amazing job considering the circumstances  clap

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=64242

Here's the fixed link smile

Likes (0)

#999 Thu 22 Jul 10 3:41am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Jutta, the taste was incredible, a soft sweet flavour but not too sweet, it really was amazing. We both swore off ever cooking it again after the deep frying problem but after tasting we knew we had to find a solution. The OH was a little disapointed that the skin didn't crackle after deep frying though.  Are you able to share your recipes Jutta? They both sound fantastic, I would love to try them. yummy I first want to invest in a deep fryer Jutta, I would love a ricecooker but space is becoming very limited, I fear I'll be storing my deep fryer in my wardrobe when I do get it.

Joy, what a strange experience to be expected to kneed a slurry, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your monk soup adventure, and Im glad you were able to rescue it in the end. smile

A wee question to put out there. I have some left over peanut/sunflower oil mix from cooking, I don't want to toss it out, Ive filtered it, is it safe to store it in the pantry or should I store it in the fridge. It's for deep frying at a later date.

Last edited by Tara (Thu 22 Jul 10 3:42am)

Likes (0)

#1000 Thu 22 Jul 10 4:11am

jutta73

Forum champ

Tara my parents always kept the recycled oil in the pantry and we never had a problem. I think a deep fryer is a great idea as it is safer and you have better control of temperature. I sometimes toss up the idea of getting one but don't want to deep fry too much, although the fishmonger who demonstrated fish and chips at Borough Market said it is healthier than shallow frying as long as you have the oil hot enough the food will instantly seal and so the oil does not seep in. And you do not get fishy flavoured oil unless you had the oil to low to start with so the fish really boiled in the oil instead of frying.

I will add the recipes. I am going to do it all on my blog hopefully this afternoon and then will post the links here. I am loving Bill Granger at the moment.

Likes (0)