Likes (0)

#22 Tue 10 Aug 10 3:51pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Re: Knob of butter

Once when my daughter was looking for knobs for her kitchen cabinets, she directed me to a website...it was either myknobs or yourknobs.com or something.  Anyway, when I went to what I thought was the correct one, it was a po*&% site. yikes  I know, totally off the subject.

Likes (0)

#23 Tue 10 Aug 10 4:24pm

Sizzling_Chef

Member since Fri 12 Sep 08

Thats the excuse they all give........

wink

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 10 Aug 10 6:14pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

nanstertoo...don't worry when ever the question of .."Knob of butter" or similar is asked it always seems to go off topic !

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 28 Feb 13 10:27am

kayak22

Member since Thu 28 Feb 13

A US stick of butter is 8 tablespoons, the wrapping is marked in 1 tablespoon segments, the total is 1/4 pound, or 1/2 cup.  There are 4 sticks in a 1 pound package.

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 01 Mar 13 9:09am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Just for your information:

1 tical = 15 gms
4 tical = 1 tamleung
20 tamleung = 1 chang
50 chang = 1 hap

There you go.........

In my humble opinion, a "pat" of butter is around 1 tical, or thereabouts, and a knob is around 1 tamleung.

Last edited by beerforyorky (Fri 01 Mar 13 9:14am)

Likes (0)

#27 Fri 01 Mar 13 9:43am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've heard various stories about people being fined etc. for using imperial measure in shops, but I don't buy it. As far as I know, the rule is that the prices MUST be displayed in metric - they can also be displayed in Imperial alongside, but the metric price must be there. Which is fair - otherwise you can't compare prices properly. My butcher happily sells pounds of mince to me - his scales work in both metric and Imperial. After all, it's not like Imperial is an approximate measure or something - there's an established conversion rate.

The one area you will get in trouble in the UK is if you try to sell beer in metric measure (on-sales, I mean, not off-sales). The licensing system is based on pints, and I don't think you're even allowed to display prices in litres. I'm sure there was one pub that got in bother for this, selling half-litres of Continental beers. It's just not allowed.

Spirit measures are in metric, though. Strange.

Last edited by hippytea (Fri 01 Mar 13 9:45am)

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 05 Mar 13 8:49pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Fabric is one commodity that is allowed to be sold as either metric or imperial measurements..........but there are rules........if the retailer acquired the fabric from Europe it must be sold in metres, if it is imported from anywhere that sells in imperial (ie America) then it can be sold in yards.

Most of my patterns etc are in yards, most of my fabrics are bought in yards too........I am old-fashioned, I prefer imperial. I am a happy dinosaur!!!

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 05 Mar 13 9:02pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Pre-made curtains in the uk are labelled in inches and centimetres???

Luckily I can work in either or both..so a 2.4Metre length of 2x2 is just long enough... whistle

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 05 Mar 13 9:37pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

This thread started in 2007. Talk about longevity. Reminds me of a recipe I recently came across that called for a "pat" of butter. Since it was to grease a pan prior to searing, I just used what was required.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)