forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 12 Aug 10 4:24am

FoodieGoddess

Member since Thu 12 Aug 10

Chicken wraped in bread dough

I apologies in advance for this confusing post. I am looking for a Jamie Oliver recipe I saw on one of his many shows many years ago... would have to be maybe 10 years ago, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that particular series. Anyway the recipe was basically 1 whole chicken which was wrapped in bread dough and baked in the oven. I have looked in the Jamie cookbooks i own (which unfortunately is not all of them) and looked online but nothing. I was hoping someone out there remembers this episode and has the recipe or can point me in the direction of where I might find it.

Thanking you in advance

Buon Appetito!
FoodieGoddess

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 12 Aug 10 9:14am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05
    Likes (0)

#3 Thu 12 Aug 10 3:37pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

Re: Chicken wraped in bread dough

Welcome to the forums!  I'm not familiar with the recipe you are looking for.  I hope what Anna posted helps!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Aug 10 5:02am

FoodieGoddess

Nop its not it... but someone else on that thread is looking for the same one.. is there anyone we can ask that would know??? Does Jamie ever come on the forums?

THANKS AGAIN! Love this site!!!
Foodie Goddess

Last edited by FoodieGoddess (Fri 13 Aug 10 5:13am)

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 16 Aug 10 9:17pm

trose

Any luck yet? this sounds so good!

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 16 Aug 10 10:21pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Was it just bread dough that the chicken was wrapped in , or some sort of heavier pastry like a hot watercrust.
To be honest , I can't see how you could be sure that the chicken was cooked in such a short time as a thuggish bread dough around the outside of a whole chicken .
Presumably you font eat the bread after the chicken has cooked in it.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 17 Aug 10 7:20am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

It's from the Oliver's Twist episode "Picnic in the Park". The dough is just flour and water, rolled thin and wraped around the chicken. It's not meant to be eaten, it ends up becoming a sort of hermetic shell for the bird. The thing is that the chicken stays really hot for a while, so it keeps cooking for some time after leaving the oven.

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 17 Aug 10 9:44am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

That makes more sense , just a flour and water dough would bake harder that a normal bread dough.
It also would not allow the chicken juices to be absorbed into it in the same way.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 17 Aug 10 11:00am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

mummza wrote:

That makes more sense , just a flour and water dough would bake harder that a normal bread dough.
It also would not allow the chicken juices to be absorbed into it in the same way.

I think it's also the fact that since it doesn't have yeast, it's less airy and conducts heat pretty well. I've made it for a picnic, so two hours in the oven, and about two more hours in the "shell" just steaming. It was really well roasted, the meat was falling of the bones, and it was incredible when I cracked it and 2 hours worth of roasting smell escaped in one second! Of course, if you're worried about undercooking it you can always cut out the spine and flatten it. I wouldn't make it for eating at home since you don't get the crispy skin, but it's deffinately the most brilliant take-away!  yummy  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 31 Aug 10 3:32am

steviee_

Member since Tue 31 Aug 10

do  a google search for picnic in park jamie,

click videos link

does anyone speak russian ?, i also recal that you could eat the bread

Likes (0)