Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 03 Sep 10 5:35pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Any gardening questions for Robin?

Hi everyone,

We are really pleased to introduce Robin to you all as our "in house" gardening expert. Find out more about Robin in this Q&A:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news/intervi … xpert-robi

In the next few weeks Robin will be coming on board to answer all of your gardening questions. So here is your chance to start asking questions about your own garden or if you are thinking about starting to grow your own produce.

Thanks and regards

Danny

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 03 Sep 10 9:58pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

Re: Any gardening questions for Robin?

welcome Robin big_smile it's always a pleasure to have an expert clearing all our doubts.
My question is how do  I know my peperoncini are ready to be cropped, they are completely red, some of them in fact, but the stem is green and fresh. Shall I wait till the stem becomes a little weak and dry to start taking the red ones away.
and would you cover the just planted leeks with soil before thy become thick and to which height.

thank you and I hope you'll have fun on the forum as we do

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 07 Sep 10 2:26pm

valleyorganics

Occupation owner of Valley Organics
From New hampshire, USA
Member since Mon 30 Aug 10

do you need an assistant?

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 07 Sep 10 2:29pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

I just bought potted herbs yesterday.  I'm planning on keeping them in my sunroom for clipping when I cook.  I have several, such as thyme, rosemary, basil, sage, etc.  It appears that the root systems are ready for a larger planter.  I was wondering if I could put a few of them in a big pot together.  Can I combine herbs in a planter to grow???

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 07 Sep 10 4:49pm

CookieMonsterUK

Occupation Chef
From Kent
Member since Thu 12 Aug 10

Hi Robin  smile

1.What's the best way to get rid of bineweed?

2.Are there any organic methods of getting rid of blackfly? (my runnerbeans on the allotment were badly affected this year)

3.To dig or not to dig,that is the question  wink

Thanks for any advice you can offer  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 08 Sep 10 11:11am

aussiechicki

Occupation mother
From perth,australia
Member since Thu 12 Aug 10

hi robin, do you have any suggestions for reducing our slater population also we had a lovely butternut pumpkin plant with heaps of flowers but no pumpkins i did try to pollenate them myself with a small bristled brush but still nothing can you help help

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 08 Sep 10 11:21am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

CookieMonsterUK wrote:

Hi Robin  smile

1.What's the best way to get rid of bineweed?

2.Are there any organic methods of getting rid of blackfly? (my runnerbeans on the allotment were badly affected this year)

3.To dig or not to dig,that is the question  wink

Thanks for any advice you can offer  thumbsup

Response to Q2

Get an empty spray bottle rinse out thoroughly, Add some E-cover washing up liquid and water, shake well and spray the blackfly....stops them breathing...

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 08 Sep 10 1:36pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

Hi Robin,

welcome on board and thanx for sharing your knowledge!

My question: I donīt have a garden but a huge balcony. I havenīt had the time this year to grow some herbs and veg there, but what kind of herbs and veg go well together in one pot and which sorts would you say are especially good for growing in pots? What about the size of the pots?

I also know that some combination of plants keep flies etc. away, these combination are very interesting to me!

Thanx!

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 09 Sep 10 4:39pm

cheffess

Member since Thu 09 Sep 10

Hi robin,

I can't grow the garden radish seeds i've just bought, it's more then a week and not leaves seems to appear. I live in singapore, so is there any way i can increase the chance or how to grow garden radishes from seeds.  neutral

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 12 Sep 10 12:33pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Hi Robin!

I need some help with my Fuggles Hops, if you have any knowledge about hops.

I have one very big pot and three vines come out of the soil and climb a wooden fence "thing". I live in Greece, Patras so the climate has some humidity and it's very warm.

My hops started growing at around april time and became quite big with many beautiful leaves. Suddenly at about July-August the leaves started to become yellow and the tops started to die and the leaves after them. It's not mold or anything I'm almost sure about that.

I used some fertilizer and some Iron(Fe with sulfur something, sorry not good with chemistry). After a week from the fertillizing and addition of iron it started growing again, and not it's growing new "tops" from many places.

Sorry if my english is not that good, you think I can do anything else to help it? Is there anything I can do for the "cold"(average 10C) that is coming in winter?

*I know it's the first year so I won't get any hop flower to use in brewing, but I'm afraid it's gonna die or something.

Cheers,
Kostas

Likes (0)