forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sun 11 Apr 10 7:55pm

sjackson90

Occupation Stud Hand
From Newmarket Suffolk
Member since Sun 11 Apr 10

Re: Chicken Korma Recipe EVER!

This recipe has worked absolutely perfect! i have searched and searched for korma recipes and this one is by far the best!
Thanyou very much! next i think will be chicken buhna. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#52 Sat 29 May 10 3:07pm

Shellby

Member since Sat 29 May 10

Wonderful Korma, we ALL loved it, thank you. If my fussy 9 year old daughter ate it, it must be good!!!! x yummy

Likes (0)

#53 Sun 18 Jul 10 2:15pm

Tallygirl

Member since Sun 18 Jul 10

Greetings from sunny Florida...

mmm this sounds delicious. I'm British but living in Florida and really miss the wonderful Indian food in the UK.

Question: I was at an Indian market recently and bought a bag of coconut powder.............does anyone know how to use this?

Thanks
Jo

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 19 Jul 10 1:21pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hmm, I hope you tell us all about it when you find out Jo!
I have read of coconut spice powder, and coconut milk powder as well as dried coconut powder. smile

Likes (0)

#55 Wed 21 Jul 10 10:06am

Claireafaye

Member since Wed 21 Jul 10

Hi Jamie,

I tried this recipe last night and it was delicious! I also added some dried yellow raisins (and next time might add some green grapes as well) just like my local Indian restaurant does and I thought the sweetness was great. I have just one question, I used a tbsp of ground coriander as in the above recipe, but I wondered was it a typo because I thought the flavor seemed much stronger than the usual Kormas I'm used to. I was thinking that maybe it was meant to be a tsp of ground coriander instead.

Either way it was delicious and I had a very happy second half munching away beside me and going back for "seconds" all evening!

All the best - you're a star!

Claireafaye.  yummy

Likes (0)

#56 Sun 25 Jul 10 4:48am

cook_chicken

Occupation http://howcookchicken.blogspot.com/
From Singapore
Member since Mon 19 Jul 10

hi elhousemartin,
    Great recipe  wink do you think it is ok for me to share it on my blog? i'll mention that i got the recipe is from you smile clap

Likes (0)

#57 Thu 09 Sep 10 10:47pm

hawthorne10

Member since Thu 09 Sep 10

I am living in Michigan and can't find creamed coconut even in the Asian markets. Does anyone know if it is called something else over here? Is there anything I can substitute for creamed coconut in the 'Best Korma Recipe Ever".  I have been looking for a good Korma recipe for ages and think this could be the one!

Likes (0)

#58 Fri 10 Sep 10 12:52am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

This is what you are after

http://dobetter.files.wordpress.com/200 … ilk-sm.jpg

Though I have read that coconut cream is available in powdered forms in some countries.

If you really cant find it anywhere you can put 2 cups of dessicated coconut into the blender with 2.5 cups of hot water. Let it sit for 10 minutes then blend really well & then strain, not through cloth, just through an ordinay strainer.
Use the liquid in your curry. It wont have the exact same silky texture as coconut cream but is an ok substitute.

Last edited by frizz1974 (Fri 10 Sep 10 12:57am)

Likes (0)

#59 Mon 30 May 11 8:20pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

Yum, Yum!
Just had this a few minutes ago. It was really delicious, although I only had some Naan bread with it.

Likes (0)

#60 Tue 31 May 11 2:57pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

elhousemartin wrote:

After 20 years of trying (and I'm only 32!!) I have finally come up with a really successful chicken korma recipe. This is a cross between a few recipes I've used over the yearswith other tweaks here and there. This is the closest to my favourite curry house's version I've ever made. Let me know what you think.
I think that using ghee (as opposed to veg. oil) is important, as is pureeing the onion.

Ingredients:

1.kg Chicken breast or mini breast fillets
1 heaped tablespoon of finely grated fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
150g thick (plain) yogurt
1 dried red chilli
2 finely chopped onions
1 tbsp ghee or veg. oil
1 tbsp ground coriander
Pinch of ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
water
75g creamed coconut
salt, to taste
2 heaped tbsps ground almonds
finely chopped Coriander Leaves, to garnish
juice of  1/2 lemon

Instructions:

1. Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized chunks
2. Mix the chicken with the ginger, garlic and yogurt. Cover and marinade for 12 hours or in the fridge overnight.
3. Liquidise the chopped onion and red chillies, add a little water if you need to. blend til smooth.
4. Heat the ghee/oil in a pan.
5. Add the ground coriander, ground black pepper, turmeric and garam masala and stir fry for about 1-minute over a low heat.
6. Turn up the heat, add the onion and chilli paste and stir fry for 10-minutes.
7. Add the chicken and the marinade and continue to stir fry for another 10-minutes.
8. Add the creamed coconut and enough water to *just* cover the chicken and bring to the boil, stirring until the coconut is dissolved. Stir in the ground almonds.
9. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is tender (30-40 minutes).
10. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix well.

B big_smile oil some basmati rice with a cinnamon stick and saffron, drain and serve.

This sounds beautiful. Im always interested in cooking curries and new recipes are always welcome. Ive  been thinking of cooking a curry for a little while now, i think this could be it. Thankyou. thumbsup    wink

Likes (0)