cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Re: Ready, Set, Cook Discussion Thread

I just don't really understand what's going on here.   sad

Is the challenge still going? 
How do we find out what the week's/month's(?) challenge is? 
Are the choices for what we can do with the recipe/theme/ingredients(?) still the same as those explained at the start of this thread?
Thanks.

Likes (0)

#1242 Wed 15 Sep 10 4:53am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Cengland,
Have a read of this thread
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 94#p576894
and then subscribe to it. That way, each month you will get the update of the challenges for the month (and you will see Septembers challenges there).

Then you get to have a go and be as creative as you like in interpreting the challenge, and share about it on this thread!

I hope you find that works, if not, share with us and we will try to make something that works better! smile

Likes (0)

#1243 Wed 15 Sep 10 5:04am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Ah, I get it!  Thanks very much.  I hadn't found that other thread in your link.   smile

Likes (0)

#1244 Wed 15 Sep 10 12:22pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Luvmegrub wrote:

Speaking of pavs, I might go all out tomorrow and make my very first one.  I missed the meringue challenge when we did it ages ago.  For some reason I've been put off pav, maybe after sampling those sickly wet attempts at the RSL style buffets  yikes

We are going to a BBQ with German visitors as the guests of honour so we want to do a traditional Aussie meal for them.  Naturally I'm making Moroccan cous cous salad  lol

If I do pluck up the courage to make it, please refresh my memory - should I put the cream and fruit on just before serving, or can I do it at home and leave it in the fridge for a few hours?

Just to show it matters not what you do to a pav it will still look & taste fantastic have a look at his poor old thing I made a few weeks ago.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=65955

Likes (0)

#1245 Wed 15 Sep 10 1:22pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Oh Frizz that looks looooooovely, I love meringue, I had a thing about it when having my 2nd no topping or anything, just the meringue.

I came on to say I made Frizz's curry puffs at the weekend, I changed the meat to very finely diced chicken so the children could take them in their lunch boxes with some salad, they went down very well  thumbsup , I have frozen some uncooked, I thought they don't take long to cook and if I lift them out the night before and bake them in the morning they would still be a little warm at 11 if I wrap them in foil ( their school has funny times 8.30 start, 11am -11.30 lunch, 2.45-3pm break then finish 4.14 )

I ordered a piece of briskett for this weekend, got my brother and family coming for lunch on Sunday and thought it would be good to try.  I am going to cook it in the slow cooker and serve with new potatoes from the garden and fresh veg, will let you know how it goes.

Likes (0)

#1246 Wed 15 Sep 10 5:51pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

You didn't really miss it Joy.  Tomorrow is Yom Kippur my Jewish friend says.  Maybe I'll get to the Challah tomorrow.

Likes (0)

#1247 Wed 15 Sep 10 7:11pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

OK, I "did" both September challenges last weekend:
Saturday I made steak and ale pie for friends and Sunday I made challah. I got really confused plaiting with 6 strands, but it looked good none the less (though unmistakably "wrong" - but only God is perfect....)
Both pie and bread tasted lovely!

Likes (0)

#1248 Wed 15 Sep 10 11:58pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Well done Susanne! Im hopeless at plaiting... can do a straight plait but cannot braid so would be completely lost with 6 strands...  shocked

Likes (0)

#1249 Thu 16 Sep 10 12:48am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

nanstertoo wrote:

You didn't really miss it Joy.  Tomorrow is Yom Kippur my Jewish friend says.  Maybe I'll get to the Challah tomorrow.

Aha! This sent me off to find out what foods might suit, and I found it is a day off fasting!
But when I found what foods traditionally break the fast: http://kosherfood.about.com/
My potato kugel would be perfect! smile

PS Congratulations Suzanne! A great cooking spree! clap

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Thu 16 Sep 10 12:49am)

Likes (0)

#1250 Fri 17 Sep 10 4:30pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

The embarrassing thing about the plaiting disaster is that I had recipe and instructions from about.com that included a video:
http://video.about.com/kosherfood/How-t … hallah.htm

o well.....

Likes (0)