Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 08 Oct 10 5:26pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

Re: Composting

I'm guessing the whole concern with the cooked veg is that most people add butter or sauttee in olive oil (or even add cheese).  The class I recently took said no fats because it will attract critters. 

If you have concerns with your "stock" veggies, I'd say give 'em a quick rinse and then toss 'em in!

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 08 Oct 10 11:57pm

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

dapuna wrote:

I have three raised beds in my back yard that gives a lot of vegetables.  Even living in the city, I have five chickens. When the first frost occurs, I pull the dirt to one side in the garden and place all the dirt, poop, and tattered straw from the chicken coop in the bottom of the vegetable beds, recover with the dirt and let rest during the winter. In the spring, I mix it up well and cover with the black barrier cloth. I poke holes in the cloth to plant (no weeding, year).  My garden produces large healthy vegetables, more than you would ever guess.

Hi Dapuna,
That's really interesting.  Is that all you do with the soil for the whole year?  Where do you store all the muck from the chicken coop until you're ready to use it?

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 20 Sep 11 12:44pm

siwel

Member since Tue 20 Sep 11

Hi,

I am a student thinking of designing a indoor composter as a A-level project, The aim of it would be to speed up the whole process of composting and to make it easier to compost.

I have a few questions;

To start off with do you think it would be a good idea?

How long does it currently take for you to compost?

If  I was to make this what size do you think would be best? (Something that could fit under the sink, or something bigger, for example the size of a washing machine to fit in a garage or utility)

Any other comments or ideas please ☺

Thanks,

Lewis

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 06 Mar 12 3:21pm

Nicompost

Member since Tue 06 Mar 12

I've just joined up and read the responses _ I set up food waste composting systems in schools and we compost everything! - you do need the right equipment and knowledge but it can be done and there are loads of ways you can do it at home too without the vermin/fly/odour problems. we have insulated tumbling or turning mechanism bins followed by secure maturation bins. all the food waste is mixed with the fresh prep waste and wood chip or pellets and it gets really Hot!
then it is turned out into the maturation bin - obviously quite a bit too this - see more on www.dccn.org.uk

Likes (0)

#15 Thu 22 Mar 12 11:41pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

My compost bins (Bernard and Fran) are going very well. I have just added some chook manure and straw to the one I am filling up (Bernard) and my sister has promised to bring some ash from their slow combustion stove to add to it over winter. Won't that be a tasty treat!

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 22 Mar 12 11:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Keep on digging Joy  wink  clap

Likes (0)

#17 Fri 23 Mar 12 12:32am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I will!
Well, the truth is: I don't dig them, I twirl them with my lovely twirler. Such a pleasure! smile

Likes (0)

#18 Fri 23 Mar 12 8:41am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think that the compost bin that has been filled and resting for a year is likely to have it's contents spread over the garden in a week or twos time . We try to get this task done in the autumn but thought the compost would benefit from another 6 months in it's tub.

I have garden help dispite me having a small garden  , I can't do much gardening and my darling pulls up the plants thinking they are weeds then leaves the weeds thinking they are the proper plants !
Or he has been known to plant flower bulbs upside down . Not what you call a natural gardener .
So Garden help is a good option as you can see !

I think that everyone with even a small amount of garden space should have a compost bin.
It's amazing just how much vegetable matter can go into one of those compost bins and they never seem to fill up . The contents continually rotting down into the compost that gets spread onto the garden to feed it . Last year I used some of the homemade compost for growing tomatoes in bags. It worked well.

Likes (0)

#19 Fri 23 Mar 12 9:56am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

OH insists his urine is the secret ingredient to making our compost heap work quicker..........mmmm!
He has to pee on it at every opportunity. Some men never grow up.
Handle with gloves lol

Likes (0)

#20 Fri 23 Mar 12 7:17pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mincepie wrote:

OH insists his urine is the secret ingredient to making our compost heap work quicker..........mmmm!
He has to pee on it at every opportunity. Some men never grow up.
Handle with gloves lol

Reminds me of why i refuse to buy vegs and fruits from countries that dont have much rain puke

Likes (0)