Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Tue 19 Oct 10 9:52am

danilom

Member since Tue 19 Oct 10

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

Hi Jamie,
I have seen your program on TV about" Jamie Olivers Food Revolutio" when you went to a school in America.

It would have been better if you segregated the biodegradable from the non biodegradable rubbish when you collected all the excess food from the kids.

Danny

Likes (0)

#32 Tue 19 Oct 10 7:39pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Yeah, forget teaching these little kids about food health. This pizza goes in the good bin, this carton of milk goes in the bad bin. Sorry, that sounded a bit snotty and condescending. It's just pointing out that it looked confusing enough for them to start with. These kids (and adults too) have been indoctrinated from day one with a poor food regime. Jamie has left a legacy of a considerably lower chemical intake. He has re-educated and changed a town's, (plus millions of viewer's) eating habits and saved many lives. As important as the subject of biodegradability is, it's still best to teach them one lesson at a time.
Besides, 'Jamie's Bin Revolution' just doesn't have the same ring to it. wink

Last edited by TerryKay (Tue 19 Oct 10 7:46pm)

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#33 Sun 24 Oct 10 4:55pm

paddlepet

Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

From a disciple from Ontario, love all your shows. Inspired by Jamie At Home especially and admire your dedication and skill. Have tried lots of your recipes and LOVE the cannelloni. Just watched the cauliflower version and figured out to not precook the pasta LOL. Love to cook and try new and healthy things. Plan on doing a small, raised garden next year by the sunny side of the house, for herbs mostly. Also love the the hanging strawberries that you do - what pots, how to plant them, soil, etc. Have a pergola that would be fun to use as a strawberry garden, or maybe build one over the herb garden. Have to get through the winter here first and your shows are a brilliant diversion. smile

Last edited by paddlepet (Sun 24 Oct 10 5:23pm)

Likes (0)

#34 Sat 06 Nov 10 3:56pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

WishUponAStar wrote:

Hi Robin,
I have just recently planted a dwarf lemon tree in a big pot on my balcony. I was really happy with it as its covered in blossoms but the other day when I was out watering it I noticed that a lot of those new buds are swarming in what I think are aphids. I'm at a loss... I don't really want to douse my little tree in chemicals but I don't want to loose my first ever bunch of lemons.
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! :-)
Oh and I'm in Australia too just so you know.
Thanks in advance.
smile

If they are aphids you could try using some soapy water on them. A small squirt of washing up liquid in water and then spray the aphids. You can wash the soapy water off after if you want to be super organic. Good luck

Likes (0)

#35 Sat 06 Nov 10 4:02pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Robin, I think my rosemary plants that I brought indoors have developed powdery mildew.  Is there a non-toxic solution?

Likes (0)

#36 Sat 06 Nov 10 4:28pm

RobinMcaf

MsPablo wrote:

Robin, I think my rosemary plants that I brought indoors have developed powdery mildew.  Is there a non-toxic solution?

Hi Ms Pablo,

Good to hear from you. Is it all infected or just part of it? If it's just bits then you can prune them off. It is common for this to occur when you move the Rosemary indoors because of poor air circulation. Some pruning to open the plant up and improve circulation will help.

You could try a spray of milk - 1 part milk to 9 parts water once per week. I've heard that this really works, but not tried it myself. Other options might be to use baking soda (10g per litre of water) again once or twice per week.

If the plant gets totally infected I think I might recommend starting again.

Likes (0)

#37 Sat 06 Nov 10 4:53pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thanks Robin.  I'll try both suggestions.  One plant is very dense from pruning it into a sphere shape.

If I have to start over, I was considering a hydroponic system.  What do you think?

Likes (0)

#38 Thu 11 Nov 10 11:25am

RobinMcaf

MsPablo wrote:

Thanks Robin.  I'll try both suggestions.  One plant is very dense from pruning it into a sphere shape.

If I have to start over, I was considering a hydroponic system.  What do you think?

Hi Ms Pablo,

Apparently Rosemary does rather well in a hydroponic system so you could definitely try it. However I'm not sure that this would make it less vulnerable to powdery mildew indoors. If the plant is dense then I would prune it. Can it be left outside? Is it cold that you're worried about?

Best, Robin

Likes (0)

#39 Thu 11 Nov 10 11:53am

RobinMcaf

dukegus wrote:

Could I ask about the pic on the main page(jamie oliver->gardening) where it shows basil and maybe fenugreek?

Any good suggestions on fenugreek? I mean, I read that it need quite a rich soil so I fertilized mine quite good(sorry no compost in Greece, too expensive yet). Any other good tips? Mine get a bit...well...dead where they touch the soil after a while...

Cheers Robin
thumbsup

Hey Dukegus,

How are you doing? I can't find your picture of Fenugreek and I've searched around. It does like rich soil and a splash of moisture if the soil is dry. Sow in spring and then out the excess seedlings for salad, after germination. It shouldn't be too hard to grow. One option is to grow as a 'micro green'. That is to cut the plant, when the seeds have germinated. You can do this in your kitchen window. Just cut some kitchen paper, place on a seed tray, add some water to wet the paper and sprinkle seeds on top. It will germinate quickly. Just make sure the paper stays moist.

How is the weather now? Very dismal in UK but beautiful leaf fall.

Likes (0)

#40 Thu 11 Nov 10 3:33pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thanks Robin.  I had a feeling you were going to say that about the hydroponic system.  Pruning and using milk has been fairly effective, so I'll see.  In our zone, the low is 10 F. but it gets colder sometimes.  If I could grow in the ground, I would.  It's very shady and the ground if full of roots.

Likes (0)