forum: Jamie's Food Revolution

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 28 Oct 10 4:52pm

RaphaelleB

Occupation Independent Graphic designer/waitress
From Edinburgh
Member since Thu 28 Oct 10

Kids menus in Restaurants

I think something should be said about Kids Menus in restaurants. In most places you will find some processed chicken nuggets, fries and processed scampi etc... And think it's shame that adults will get some nice fresh food while the kids will eat some processed C....!
I should start with the restaurant I'm working in at the moment. I'll speak to my boss as soon as possible.
Thanks Jamie! Thanks everyone! big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 28 Oct 10 5:02pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Re: Kids menus in Restaurants

I agree Raphaelle.  Why do most places think we want our kids to eat crap when we go out, especially as it's not the type of stuff being offered on the adult menu.  Yes some children are fussy, and I can see the idea of offering "typical kids food", but in so many places that's all there is to choose.  Why can't they just do scaled down versions of the adult menu.  Most kids are much more adventurous than we give them credit for.  When it was my 40th we went to lunch in a Michellen  stared restaurant, and the whole family loved the meal, including my then 7 and 8 year olds! Now we tend to just go for something off the adult menu, (well they eat more than me in anycase!).

Here in Finland there is a hotel chain called Scandic, which has a wonderful childrens menu, designed by guess who?.......................yes good old Jamie.  It's got lots of traditional stuff, but with his own unique twist.  It's just a shame others chains don't follow his lead!

Also, welcome to the forum!

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 01 Nov 10 6:05pm

RaphaelleB

Occupation Independent Graphic designer/waitress
From Edinburgh
Member since Thu 28 Oct 10

Hi! I had a word with my boss and he agreed. We will change the kids menu. And we also agreed to get some fresh/organics vegetables (from some small farms around)  delivered every week ! That's good!
It's true that most kids eat normal stuff. At the restaurant most of the kids eat from the "real" menu.
Yeah yeah we can all change a few stuff around us, and that's how we can really start a revolution! tongue

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 01 Nov 10 7:47pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

bravaaaaaaaaaa exclaim  exclaim  thumbsup  clap

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 01 Nov 10 10:45pm

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Woohoo, well done.   smile   clap

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 02 Nov 10 12:50am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

When we take Mr.4 out to eat we usually order from the main menu and ask for an extra plate, utensils for him. He then eats a selection of what is on our plates.

That way he eats what he wants, no fuss, and no junk. smile

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 02 Nov 10 3:52am

Roch-Maurice

Occupation Kitchen Manager/Drummer
From Eastern Ontario, Canada
Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

You can put what you want on a kids menu, but they are not likely to order it. Then you will get stuck with dead stock.  Most parents don't want to spend their restaurant experience fighting with their kids over eating veg.  I know its not right, but more often than not, it is so.  Sorry to sound so pesimistic, but I've been at this for quite a while and have tried just about everything.  Kids want something they can't get at home, which leads them to the deep fryer.  Restaurants are "treat time" so usually they order something fried.  The current kids menu at my kitchen has pasta with tomato sauce, sandwhiches(grilled and plain), salads, cold plate (with raw veg, boiled egg, black forest ham, bread, apple slices).  And......chicken fingers with fries.  Guess what our biggest seller is??  Pass the ketchup...If we don't offer it, they will likely go someplace else.  It's the parents who have to be responsible.

Last edited by Roch-Maurice (Tue 02 Nov 10 3:59am)

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 02 Nov 10 4:33am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Yes.  I think my kids, if I have them, will simply learn consistently from a very early age that the fried or rubbish food is not an option, and why it's not, no matter where they're eating.  Going to a restaurant can still be a treat without eating rubbish.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 02 Nov 10 10:46am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

None of my children will eat "kiddie food" so eating out when they were small was hard, then I starting doing the same as Shammy, just ask for a plate, knife and fork and give a little off mine, then as they grew i would buy an adult meal and split between them. 

It all came to a head one holiday when one evening they all wanting something different, I asked the waitress if they did child portions, no.  So after a lot of pushing I managed to speak to the "man in charge" who agreed that certain meals could be reduced in size.  They got the benefit in the end as we went back there every night for the rest of our holiday.  Now I don't worry, the 2 boys eat adult meals now anyway, but for my daughter I just ask and most places will.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 02 Nov 10 11:16am

chefzilla

Occupation Chef
From Cheshire
Member since Mon 01 Nov 10

my entire kids menu is fresh.
and we cover pasta, fresh chicken with either hand cut chips or veg. we also do kids burgers, made in house from fresh mince, and a few other items, all fresh.

not all restaurants can be tarred with the same brush!

Likes (0)