Likes (0)

#22 Fri 05 Nov 10 11:03am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Re: seed saving illegal

This is one reason teacher training is now required to include units on disabilities.  ADHD is another notable one that can go undiagnosed.  It will help if increasing numbers of teachers are able to recognize possible signs of potential disabilities, so that the students can be helped sooner rather than later. 

But if you're a teacher (or a lecturer) it can become self-evident, even without a diagnosis, when a student is struggling more than normal, or in different ways.  You can then speak with them and their parents, give them what help you can, and refer them to special assistance programs in the school or university; large numbers of schools and universities have such programs now, not necessarily just for students with diagnosed disabilities.

Likes (0)

#23 Fri 05 Nov 10 11:18am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Yes, it might be self evident to some, but not to all despite all the training in the world.
Not everyone will admit that they struggle through their courses and if you are used to 'covering up' these conditions ( for reasons of self esteem or other )then you can be very crafty how you go about it.

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 06 Nov 10 1:16am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

After reading through this post, especially the first page, I was really saddened by the rudness that was shown to the OP. I thought we were a friendly forum, its very easy to disagree with someone without being condesending.  hmm

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 06 Nov 10 1:38am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia

If a student is doing poorly, there is no way really of covering that up.  Students may try to cover up (or may well not understand) the reasons they are struggling.  But they cannot cover up the struggling itself, and its manifestations.  As long as a teacher is appropriately monitoring the abilities and progress of the students, those who are struggling, and how they are struggling, will show up.  The exception would perhaps be if a student is cheating somehow, but that is relatively uncommon.

That's the case for school students, because they are constantly doing work, taking part in interactive classes, etc. 

The university environment and system, more often with lectures, a few tutorials and fewer but larger assignments, rather than ongoing interactive classes and work submitted, is different.  It is still possible to get to know students a bit, and to check on progress and ability through tutorial interaction and early, more minor assignments.  But it is not as interactive a process as schooling.

Nevertheless, university students are at university because they have managed to succeed at school or in their lives to a certain level.  They are mostly also there because they choose and want to be, not because they have to be.  They are also older than school students, and a bit wiser.  And they wish to succeed.

Students at university do have to take more responsibility for their own lives than school students.  This goes for all university students, not just those with disabilities or difficulties.  It is a principle of the university system and expectations. 

But if they have managed to get to university, they are more likely to understand this, and to try to do it.

Likes (0)

#26 Sat 06 Nov 10 1:53am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia

Tara wrote:

After reading through this post, especially the first page, I was really saddened by the rudness that was shown to the OP. I thought we were a friendly forum, its very easy to disagree with someone without being condesending.  hmm

I do agree, Tara.  Apart from rudeness not 'being nice', is it ever really helpful or convincing in one's argument to be rude - does it ever work?  It just makes me sigh.  I always think it's more useful to go to the issues of what someone is thinking, fearing or hoping, to address what that is and how and why they are thinking, hoping or fearing it, rather than just to insult the person.

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 06 Nov 10 7:35am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

I couldn't have said it better myself Ms C.  wink

Likes (0)

#28 Sat 06 Nov 10 5:56pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Sorry if I seemed rude but my patience wears thin by people running scared of the falling sky because of some idiotic thing they hear or read on the internet.

Likes (0)

#29 Sat 06 Nov 10 6:55pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

SonomaEddie wrote:

Sorry if I seemed rude but my patience wears thin by people running scared of the falling sky because of some idiotic thing they hear or read on the internet.

Think the above comments were aimed at me Eddie...However I agree with your coment..(Think I replied with some thing like.."grow up"...)

Likes (0)

#30 Sat 06 Nov 10 7:23pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I'm grown up and now I ask: are these news about saving seeds becoming illegal published or discussed only on the internet or has someone read about it on specialized magazines or publications ? disegno di legge/proposed laws? or or or roll

Likes (0)