forum: Jamie's Food Revolution

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 15 Dec 10 8:51pm

jeanelaine

Member since Wed 15 Dec 10

Food Revolution

Hi Jamie, I am a big fan. Instead of just teaching lunchroom ladies we need to reach out to classroom. I am a baby boomer. I learned to cook, plan meals, shop and budget all in home economics in HS. Unfortunately, this has gone the way of gym class. We have generations who have not been taught how to provide for themselves.  I think teaching young people how to cook could go a long way to changing the way they eat. Then when they leave the nest they will be more apt to know how to feed themselves as well as their families without stopping by the nearest fast food. I am sure you are familiar with the proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Somehow we have lost sight of the fact that we are sending out entire generations of young people who do not know how to shop much less how to cook. So how could they know what to eat. So they eat what is put before them.  At food banks it is the same problem. We had out food to families that have not been taught how to prepare it. How much better and further it would go if the food banks would enlist chefs to give cooking lessons. So much would not go to waste.

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 16 Dec 10 12:27am

MargyWargy

From Gargano, Puglia, Italy
Member since Mon 06 Dec 10

Re: Food Revolution

You may be right about the generations of culinarily incompetent young adults now emerging but why blame the school system and lack of classes?
Shouldn't parents set a good example and take responsibility for something?
I learnt all I know about food and cooking at my mother's side in her kitchen.
And for that matter all about discipline and morals too.
Sadly the example set by modern-day all/working parents is not necessarily a good one.
Jamie's instruction of school dinner ladies at least ensures that kids get something decent inside them.  And maybe, once they get a taste for good food they might be more interested in learning how to prep it.
I bet Jamie's kids will leave home with all the skills they need for sourcing and prepping good food without the need for any domestic science/home ec classes!

Last edited by MargyWargy (Thu 16 Dec 10 12:28am)

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 16 Dec 10 1:38am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

I'm of the philosophy that school is about teaching and preparing children in how to be successful adults and citizens, for their future adult lives.  And food and nutrition are so fundamental to a good life.  So I think schools could have a very valuable and important role to play.  I suppose we could say that it's up to parents to teach Maths, English, etc. to their children too.  There are some parents who just don't know how to cook well enough to be able to teach their kids.  And I wouldn't be competent to teach my kids Maths or Science.  Parents rely on professionals in schools to teach these other important subjects for them, and I think a case can be made for cooking, nutrition, and even gardening to be just as important school subjects.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 16 Dec 10 5:02pm

MargyWargy

From Gargano, Puglia, Italy
Member since Mon 06 Dec 10

I am of the opinion that teaching and preparing kids to be decent citizens (ie all basic skills, inc discipline and morals, diff between right and wrong, food shopping and prepping, bed making, vacuum cleaner driving, washing machine use, ironing, car washing, plug changing, etc, etc) is the responsibility of parents.

These basic skills together with a good school education are the foundations on which a child can build and become a successful adult.

Surely every parent has these basic skills (if not how on earth do they manage to survive?) and therefore should be able to pass them on to their offspring.

Or do we really expect our schools to teach them all this too?

If this is the case then how will our struggling schooling system ever find the time (never mind the resources) to teach them what IMHO they should be teaching them in the first place?  IE The 3Rs, maths, english, geography, languages, etc, etc, etc.

Likes (0)