forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 19 Dec 10 6:37pm

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast
Member since Tue 27 Jan 09

Brussel sprouts & bacon.

I quite fancy sprouts with bacon as a side dish for christmas dinner. Ofcourse i'l have the roasted carrot and parshnip aswell. But this added flavour would welcome.

I'm kinda stuck on how to get the best out of the dish, im going to start by frying off the bacon lardons in butter and oil, with some herbs, then comes adding the sprouts.

Should i precook the sprouts first, untill just tender then add in once the fat renders from the bacon?

Also what can i add to this, such as cream or something to give it extra depth.

Any help would be appreciated.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 19 Dec 10 7:20pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Re: Brussel sprouts & bacon.

Add some Apple Sauce too.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 19 Dec 10 7:29pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

And some chestnuts are good, too  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 19 Dec 10 8:05pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

I usually just saute the sprouts in a little of the rendered fat, and put the lid on to steam a bit at the beginning with about a tablespoon of water.  Once they start to soften some, take the lid off, let the water evaporate so they can brown up some.  The chestnuts are a great addition.  Sprinkle the lardons over  the sprouts afterwards to keep the bacon crispy.  If they are very small they can be whole, but if med or lg cut them so they will cook faster and have more exposed sides for carmelization.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 19 Dec 10 10:58pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I have had this recipe tucked away to try for awhile .   slightly different as the sprouts are shredded not whole or quartered. don't let the recipe title throw you.. there is pancetta or bacon in it.

Stir-fried Brussels Sprouts with Lemon & Parmesan

http://www.simplebites.net/spotlight-in … uts/print/ dribble  yummy

Last edited by Ashen (Sun 19 Dec 10 11:01pm)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Mon 20 Dec 10 3:02am

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

I have found that if I cook the sprouts (cut in half) in with the bacon and stuff, they are a little bitter and a little too raw tasting.  I like to steam them for a little bit and toss a tablespoon or so of sugar in with the steaming water to reduce the bitterness of the sprouts.  I do this while the bacon is rendering in oil/butter.  Then I drain the sprouts well, toss them in and let them crisp up with the bacon. 

I've frequently seen people recommend adding nuts to this dish.  I like it as is.  Now, you could add cream and make it more of a creamed dish but then the bacon and sprouts won't have crispy edges.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 20 Dec 10 3:03am

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

Here's a recipe a friend uses and swears by:

3/4 c. chopped pecans
garlic in a jar
2lbs fresh brussel sprouts, cleaned
2 TBSP butter
1 shallot ( I used onion instead) minced
1/2 lb prosciutto, cut into thin strips(you can use minced bacon crumbles)
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. pepper and salt
1/4 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese

Toast the pecasn in a shallow pan at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. Clean the sprouts and remove the outer leaves, Cut the sprouts and shred. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add shallots and garlic saute for 1-2 minutes until tender. Add sprouts and saute another 810 minutes until just tender. Add prosciutto, lemon juice salt and pepper. Saute 2 more minutes Remove from heat and sprinkle with the fresh parmesan.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 20 Dec 10 3:21am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I watched an epi of Good Eats. Alton Brown pan roasted pecans for about 3 minutes addes 2 tbsp of butter. He shredded brussle sprouts into the pan then added dried cranberries. I tried it with cabbage (I had some on hand). It was fabulous.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 20 Dec 10 3:22am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 20 Dec 10 5:10pm

aaronjunited

From N.Ireland, Belfast
Member since Tue 27 Jan 09

Thanks so much for the replys, brilliant advice, i now have the confidence to go ahead and cook this dish. I know its easy, just wanted everyones advice on how they would do it, and additives are always a plus.

Im going to steam them for a bit first, until just soft, then add into the lardons which will be cooking slowly to keep all that fat in the pan, then turn the heat up and crisp everything up. I'm just going to add some herbs in, no chesse or chestnuts or anything like that, not a fan of chestnuts.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Likes (0)