Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 02 Nov 10 10:29pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Re: Kids menus in Restaurants

Chefzilla, it's good to know you are providing a suitable option for the children on your menus.

I wonder why some restaurants naturally assume that children only eat the junkier varieties of foodstuffs that often grace a children's menu.

If the parents wanted that option they could go to Maccy D's or the like.

Surely if they can stock a main adult menu they can make a smaller serve of same for a child.

Likes (0)

#22 Tue 02 Nov 10 10:42pm

Roch-Maurice

Occupation Kitchen Manager/Drummer
From Eastern Ontario, Canada
Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

Chefzilla, nice options.  We  offer the majority of items you do.  One thing I have noticed over the last few years is the reduction of fryer foods that we sell.  That's a good thing.  But, we still sell way more fries than we do salad.  Even when we offer both at the same price.  Why is that?.   It certainly isn't due to a lack of healthy options on the menu.  Maybe it is the region I work in, but I think it is probably average for diet choices.

Last edited by Roch-Maurice (Tue 02 Nov 10 10:45pm)

Likes (0)

#23 Tue 02 Nov 10 10:49pm

chefzilla

Occupation Chef
From Cheshire
Member since Mon 01 Nov 10

well, they are right in a way, children, for the most part will only order certain things (ie: things that dont sound "ucky" to them)
but that does NOT mean restauranteurs can use that as an excuse to ignore children and just buy in some junk for them should the situation arise where they need to feed kids.

i have burgers, fish and chips, and roast chicken dinner on my menu. what do you think is the most popular with the kids?

well it isnt burgers, and it isnt fish and chips either. strange eh? kids roast chicken dinners FLY out when families visit our restaurant, and even more strange... i've never had a single request or suggestion for chicken nuggets!!!

I think that restauranteurs see kids meals as a chore. they dont want to cut a piece of chicken or a fish in half, much easier to keep a few bags of crap in the freezer and whip them out if they happen to have a kid order.

well i've got news for them... kids are customers too! and at the end of the day, whether you see it like that or not, the fact remains that if the kids enjoy it, they wont be sat in the back of the car shouting maccy D's, they'll be shouting the name of my restaurant... and the parents will more often than not give in! especially since they know its good for the kids, and they dont need to worry about the diet aspect. that, and they know they will get a great meal themselves!

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 02 Nov 10 10:52pm

chefzilla

Occupation Chef
From Cheshire
Member since Mon 01 Nov 10

thats cos kids do love chips/fries!
but when they are freshly prepared, and sat next to something relatively healthy, its all good. i like chips/fries too. nothing wrong with eating them in moderation.

also, its a good bet that they order it as the "safe" option. until more restaurants start to offer fresh and healthy meals for kids, people will always want to play it safe until they become more confident in your establishment, at which point they will generally start to get a bit more adventurous.

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 02 Nov 10 10:58pm

slbeckett

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Wed 12 Mar 08

I think as parents we also need to support these restaurants that provide great kid food so they don't think all is for naught.

My favourite is a place in Coe Hill, Ontario  - the Hideaway - that doesn't have a kids menu at all. Instead, they offer kids small, yummy dishes (they call them sides but they are huge and often proteins) for very reasonable prices.

Anyone else have great places to share?

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 22 Dec 10 11:30am

SmellyCat

Occupation Musician, arts admin
From Birmingham, UK
Member since Wed 22 Dec 10

I know a pub - a chain pub - where they don't have a kids' menu at all, but indicate the adult meals on their menu that they cook in child-sized portions with an asterisk. There's a wide choice, too, and the menu's seasonal and changes regularly. Business is thriving!

I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the pub, but it's in the Woodford valley in Wiltshire.

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 22 Dec 10 11:43am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Kids will eventually grow up and have kids of their own so in a way you would be building up a relationship with future customers. I think part of it is down to getting their interest and also giving them something tasty that will have them coming back for more.

Just think of something food wise that you loved as a kid and try to recreate that passion.

For me, the plastic burgers and fries are not exciting at all. Give me a good homemade burger in a freshly cooked bap with fried onions, melted real cheese and a choice of relishes plus a side of some baked skin on wedges and you'll get my attention.

Likes (0)