forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#551 Mon 27 Dec 10 7:34pm

lynnej

Occupation Web Designer
From Netherlands
Member since Wed 02 Sep 09

Re: Dave Barkers Christmas Kitchen...

Ah kletskoppen, that would have been my second guess wink They are pretty good though I've never made them myself. I just looked up the recipe and its really simple (I'll translate it if you'd like it) I think I'll give it a go, that's after I get over all this festive cooking!

Likes (0)

#552 Mon 27 Dec 10 9:03pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Going to try and make bread pudding with left over pannetone.

Likes (0)

#553 Mon 27 Dec 10 9:24pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Maybe it's just me but bought pannetone tastes like sawdust to me. I've made my own n the past using a large brioche mould. It was better than the bought variety but not good enough to make again.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#554 Mon 27 Dec 10 10:45pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

Its just you!  tongue

I love pannetone!

Likes (0)

#555 Mon 27 Dec 10 11:16pm

Maree

Forum super champ

Thanks mate. Given a choice, I prefer pandoro.  I have a house full of Christmas cake, Christmas puddings (they eat it on NY), stollen, mince pies, panforte, stained glass cake etc, The smells make me heave. I loathe sweet and refuse to partake of mindless empty calories. Also, I do not celebrate Christmas. The rest of my family do. Each to their own. Pass the celery and carrots, please wink

Likes (0)

#556 Tue 28 Dec 10 12:03am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I have tasted today mu son in law panettone and it's really  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup , I missed a pandoro he made aswell, I think he likes challenges and everything he cooks must be how it has to be

Likes (0)

#557 Tue 28 Dec 10 5:27am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I like panettone but give me a bit less rich Foccacia Dolce anyday instead( My dad actually pronounced foccacia *Foo-ahh-tha*   oldschool trevisano dialectic I guess )

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#558 Tue 28 Dec 10 5:43am

Maree

Forum super champ

As said previously, Ashen, panettone tastes like saw dust to me- if I must eat empty calories, I'd prefer pandoro. IMHO, panettone takes up valuable bench space unless it is used for something else. Basically, I don't like sweet stuff. I don't put it into my body. Give me a plate of olives, decent cheese and some pancetta picante and I'll dive right in. Sweet doesn't do it for me. Each to their own. Would be a boring world if we all thought the same.

Likes (0)

#559 Tue 28 Dec 10 6:03am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Homemade is always best, but there are some storebought better than others.
Another glimpse into my geekdom, I ususally take at least half an hour when I am deciding on  a panettone at the italian deli. I read all the labels , take a sniff, bounce it in my hand for weight to size ratio, and when the store staff aren't looking give them a good squeeze. My wife can wander the entire store in the time it takes me to make up my mind. She comes back with equal parts exasperation and ammusement at my antics.

Last edited by Ashen (Tue 28 Dec 10 6:06am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#560 Tue 28 Dec 10 6:31am

Maree

Forum super champ

I only make them (unwillingly) from scratch. BTW, does anyone have a site for
the moulds? King Arthur Flour's best (I spoke with Susan Reid,. Ed of their "Baking Sheet") advice was to use their  large brioche mould? If I must make this wretched thing, I'd prefer to use the traditional cylinder.

Likes (0)