Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 27 Dec 10 11:28pm

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

New Year's Eve: recipe for Dutch oliebollen

Hi everyone,

It is a Dutch tradition to eat 'oliebollen' (some sort of deep fried fluffy bread filled with raisins and apple in the shape of balls) on New Year's Eve. In recent years I developed my own recipe for oliebollen. I am the only one who makes it in the family and they are looking forward to it every year (so am I wink ). So I would like to share this recipe with you. So here it goes:

Recipe for 35 oliebollen (enough for about 7-10 persons):
Mix 1kg strong white flour with 20g of salt, zest of 2 lemons, and 2 teaspoons of sugar in a large bowl. Add 14g of dried yeast and mix. Make a hole in the flour mixture and add 2 eggs (at room temperature), 50g melted butter (not too hot) and 800ml of lukewarm water. Mix thoroughly with a spoon into a batter. After that 'knead' the batter with a mixer at the highest speed during 4 minutes in order to develop the gluten (very important to make the oliebollen airy).

After 'kneading' add 450g of raisins (let them first absorp some water in a bowl for some hours), 150g of small cubes of fresh apple (do not use sweet apples, but apples that are a little sourish) and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix well with a spoon. Cover the bowl with a moist towel and place the bowl in a warm area for about 1 hour.

Preheat sunflour oil in your deep frier to a temperature of 180 degree Celsius. Beat the batter slightly with a spoon. Now it is time to make the final 'oliebollen'. Get a spoon that you use to make nice balls of ice cream or use two spoons. Use these to form a ball of some of the batter. Put the ball directly into the the hot oil and bake for about 6-7 minutes (help them turn around in the oil, if they do not turn around themselves). Get the oliebollen out of the oil and let them drain for a while on kitchen paper. Consume them warm or cold with some icing sugar sprinkled on top. Delicious!

some tips:
- put the 2 spoons into the hot oil before forming some of the batter into a ball, this prevents sticking
- you can bake about 6 'oliebollen' every 6-7 minutes depending on the size of your deep frier.
- you can reheat the oliebollen again in a few seconds in the microwave

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 28 Dec 10 12:18am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: New Year's Eve: recipe for Dutch oliebollen

How utterly yum!
Thankyou Khun! yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 28 Dec 10 5:23am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

dribble  dribble

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#4 Tue 28 Dec 10 2:26pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

If you have a Greek deli near you it may be possible to find a premix for Loukoumades which are basically the same thing.

Recipe below if anybody fancies this version:

http://www.food.com/recipe/loukoumades- … ings-59467

Loukoumades (Greek Honey Dumplings)

Prep Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 1/2 hrs
    Servings: 10

Ingredients

2 cups lukewarm water
        1 cup lukewarm milk
        2 packages dry yeast
        4 cups flour ( or enough until a thick, pancake-like batter consistency is reached)
        1 tablespoon sugar
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        2 tablespoons oil
        oil ( for frying)
    Garnish
        1 cup honey ( Greek thyme honey is best, and authentic)
        1/4 cup water
        cinnamon
        finely chopped walnuts (optional)
        sesame seeds, toasted (optional)

Directions

Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water.
    Put it along with the remaining dough ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well until a smooth batter is obtained.
    Cover and let the batter rise in a warm place until it is approximately three times its previous bulk, (1-2 hours).
    Heat the oil for frying in a saucepan on the stove until very hot.
    Dip a teaspoon into oil to coat and spoon out some dough into the hot oil.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 28 Dec 10 8:16pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Khun, very good recipe, pasted and saved, thankyou very much and happy new year. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 29 Dec 10 3:30am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Ooo Falconcy I love those too!  dribble

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 17 Dec 12 12:11pm

Khun

From The Netherlands

Hi everyone,

In a few weeks time it's almost New Years Eve again!
It's Dutch tradition to eat 'Oliebollen' on New Years Eve and Day. I shared a recipe 2 years ago and thought to bump this thread up again so you can get all ingredients and such in time for having a nice New Years Eve. I still make them as described in the recipe and hope to make a record this time: 100 oliebollen.

Cheers,
Khun

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Dec 12 2:14am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I don't speak Dutch, but "oliebollen" looks to me like it means "oily balls".

Am I right?

kiss

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 18 Dec 12 10:28am

Khun

From The Netherlands

hippytea wrote:

I don't speak Dutch, but "oliebollen" looks to me like it means "oily balls".

Am I right?

kiss

Haha, yes, that's exactly what it means!
They are called that way because they are quickly shaped as balls (the size of a snowball actually) and than deepfried in oil. When done well, these balls are not fat/ oily at all.

There are still many bakers/ supermarkets who still don't get what it takes to make a nice oliebol. Those sold in the supermarkets are 9 months old  puke  I mean why even eat those? And there are still lots of bakers around who still mess their oliebollen up: baking them in old oil or baking in oil of too low temperature making the oliebollen absorb all the oil.

Making them yourself is the best: the ones I make every year are still the best I ever tasted.  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 18 Dec 12 6:42pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Love your Oily Balls!

Likes (0)