Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 14 Jan 11 12:56pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Please help me find a good knife sharpener

Thats good advice Lawrie Brownlee, thanks and welcome to the forum .

I have used an oil stone (rough and smooth )when sharpenng knives when I did leaded light work, (stained glass windows )the knife there needs to be kept very sharp to make a clean cut through the lead, I agree , you have to be very carefull .

At home , for most of my knives I use a long 'old fashioned' sharpening steele , I have 2 , one that is smoothed after years of use , I think its probably from the Victorian age.
The other one I have had for around 20 years and I think its improved with age !
I often use a combination of both .

work-shy , I have some sabatier knives that are pretty old and they do a gets job , I have found them to sharpen well .
I have to say here that I have all sorts of knives that I use and am known for changing knicves frequetly as I cook.

I also have some global knives and really do need to buy the correct sharpener for them soon.

Last edited by mummza (Sat 15 Jan 11 12:54am)

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 14 Jan 11 10:35pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Welcome Lawrie smile
What a fascinating post. I would be a little bit nervous of those slaughtermen's knives! whistle  But they would need them sharp!

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 15 Jan 11 3:31pm

the8thark

From Ipswich/Brisbane, Australia
Member since Thu 25 Nov 10

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Welcome Lawrie smile
What a fascinating post. I would be a little bit nervous of those slaughtermen's knives! whistle  But they would need them sharp!

Yes I would be scared too.  But that's a good thing.  To have a healthy fear/respect for the knives.  Then you won't become complacent and to dumb things with them or sake silly risks.  And that's when injuries occur.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 16 Jan 11 10:23pm

Candlejack

Occupation Second year at culinary-school.
From Sweden
Member since Sat 18 Dec 10

TSR wrote:

You don't sharpen a good knife, you hone it. What kind of knives does your brother have? He'd be better of with top-notch knives and a mediocre sharpener, then the other way around.

Bullcrap. You need to sharpen the best of knives.
Honing just straightens the edge out. It won't gite it an edge back.
You can only do this for so long.

For a sharpener, i'd recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Easy to use, great results.

NEVER touch any of these small cheap wheel-thingies. And especially NEVER EVEN THINK ABOUT an electrical one. They destroy the knife.

Last edited by Candlejack (Sun 16 Jan 11 10:25pm)

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 17 Jan 11 12:49am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Take a look at  lansky knife sharpening system.  offers kits with different materials of stones ,  simple but precise system that  can be used to maintain  30 , 25, 20 and 17  degree angles .

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#16 Sun 27 Feb 11 1:19am

Millerhill

Member since Sat 26 Feb 11

I have a system similar to the Lansky system. How do you determine the correct angle for a particular blade?

Steve

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 27 Feb 11 8:42am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

mummza wrote:

Thats good advice Lawrie Brownlee, thanks and welcome to the forum .

I have used an oil stone (rough and smooth )when sharpenng knives when I did leaded light work, (stained glass windows ).

Could you turn your hand to a bit of leaded light work still???
or is that something that is in the past??

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 27 Feb 11 10:54am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Hopefully not in the past wine~o , I used to make the windows on a Saturday morning for a few hours each week , taught by a local craftsman .
The aim was to be good enough to relead the windows that we have in my house , I was just about there when I fell a few years ago and the shoulder injury has prevented me going back to making the windows.
I hope that after this latest operation I will be able to retern to my saturday morning lessons .
It's a great thing to learn and once I got over the fear of cutting and handling the glass ,  I found it quite easy . The difficutly for me was working out the precise measurements in the first place and being a bit too elaborate with the designs !

Last edited by mummza (Sun 27 Feb 11 10:55am)

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 27 Feb 11 11:10am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Would you be able to help this chap out?
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum … ml#p336914

Cheeky of me to ask I know.... oops

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 27 Feb 11 3:58pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

I use the Chef's choice 3 stage sharpener.  It correctly aligns the knife, but only does straight edges.  I think there is one for serrated edge knives as well.

Likes (0)