CJ82

From I love cooking, me. :)
Member since Sun 20 Jan 08

Best Simple Flapjack

This is my dads recipe, and it is the best I ever had:

250g Porridge Oats
125g Butter
125g Brown Sugar
2-3 Tablespoons Golden Syrup (Depends how gooey you want it)

Put it in a food processor, then put it in a tray and bake until golden brown (about 20 min). Simple as, and a great snack for cold day in the garden. smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 24 Jan 08 3:23am

catlady

From Arkansas, USA
Member since Sun 25 Jun 06

Re: Best Simple Flapjack

Sounds good.  I'm just wondering if the food processor grinds the oats a bit too powdery though?  I've always made it in a saucepan, melting the butter, sugar and syrup, then stirring in the oats before baking.  Maybe I'll try your way next time I make it!

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 18 May 09 6:34am

kwalker26

Member since Wed 13 May 09

This is my second batch of these - yummmmm. Great recipe, texture & flavour, I love the fact they are not greasy.
Fantastic - I will be using this from now on every week for my (very impressed) childrens' lunchboxes  clap

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 18 May 09 10:11am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hello, questions from an ignoramus who thought flapjacks was another name for pikelets/drop scones.
How hot is the oven? How big is the tray? How thick is it when it goes in? How thick is it when it comes out. Then what do you do with it? hmm

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 18 May 09 10:14am

lanto1

Occupation TAFE Student (Accounting) & Lover of GoodFood. NAME: Lauren
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 29 Apr 09

Mmmmm, sounds morish! My sister made something a couple of years ago that sounds very similar. I think it was a honey-oat slice, or something like that. Thatks for sharing your recipe. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 18 May 09 2:59pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

JoyYamDaisy, I normally bake flapjacks in my 26cm-long ceramic oven dish.  You want it a good inch thick, so they stay a little gooey.  Leave to cool in the dish, then cut into squares.  Line the dish with baking parchment or they can me a 'mare to get out.  Then: you eat!  Good as a portable snack.

I Wiki'd flapjacks as I was curious to their international names and counterparts:
In the UK, a flapjack is a tray bake (or bar cookie) made from rolled oats, fat (typically butter), brown sugar and usually Golden syrup or honey. As well as being baked at home, they are widely available in shops, ready-packaged, often with extra ingredients such as chocolate, dried fruit, nuts, yoghurt and toffee pieces or coatings, either as individual servings or full unsliced trayfuls. Flapjacks are not a cake, but a lot of people consider them as such, they are usually an alternative to a biscuit (cookie) or cake, and textures range from soft and moist to dry and crisp. Because of the high levels of fat and calories in the original version, some 'diet' versions are available with lower fat and calorie content. Similar products are known in Australia as 'muesli bars'.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 18 May 09 3:02pm

lanto1

Occupation TAFE Student (Accounting) & Lover of GoodFood. NAME: Lauren
From Brisbane, Australia
Member since Wed 29 Apr 09

Anna wrote:

Similar products are known in Australia as 'muesli bars'.

... or simply a 'chewy slice.'

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 19 May 09 2:26am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Thanks for the info Anna, I will try them! big_smile

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 21 Jan 11 1:18pm

feelingnibblish

Member since Fri 21 Jan 11

Here is a great version…with nice choc’ banana twist!

Ingredients: (16 flapjacks)

250g organic rolled oat
100g butter
80g raw brown sugar
5 tbsp golden maple sirup
1 tbsp salt
1 banana, mashed
75g chocolate, melted
3 tbsp milk
1 handful of unsalted nuts, crushed

Instructions:

1. Melt the butter in a large non stick saucepan over a very low heat. Add sugar and sirup and mix well.

2. Stir in the oats, add the banana and the pinch of salt.

3. Spread the mixture over a sheet of baking paper in a baking tray and press flat. Place in the oven and cook for 15 min at 220 degrees or until it turns golden brown. Leave it to cool.

4. In the meantime, prepare the melted chocolate in a pan by adding chocolate chunks and milk on low temperature. Dip Half of your flapjacks in chocolate and sprinkle the crushed nuts over it, so that you can still hold it without touching the chocolate (see top picture). Place in the fridge for an hour or to allow for the chocolate to set hard.

Store in a air tight box in the fridge for up to a week and bring half of it to your work colleagues. For an even healthier version, you an replace part of the butter with margarine!
For more easy step by step recipes, visit my blog:
www.feelingnibblish.com smile

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 21 Jan 11 2:38pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

In this part of the word, flapjacks are pancakes so I was a bit puzzled when I started reading the recipes.

Likes (0)