forum: Jamie's Food Revolution

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 02 Feb 11 12:11am

nicolahurst

Member since Mon 31 Jan 11

Malnutrition in Care Homes

I am concerned about prevalent malnutrition and dehydration of old people in Care Homes, and in the light of the front page article in the Daily Mail 31st Jan 2011, we surely need to do something about it. I have witnessed this for myself while working in care homes in Gloucestershire.

There is a serious rise in deaths of old people in care who have suffered and died from malnutrition and dehydration in our UK's so called 'care' and nursing homes that charge up to 1000 a week. Its appalling, including the poor treatment of old people who have all given much of their lives to the nation.

Jamie, you brought to the attention of the UK public, the poor school meals that have been churned out for so long, and you revolutionised them. We need you to do the same for Care and Nursing Homes. Staff need to be trained in cooking healthy and interesting foods that people will enjoy eating on a daily basis.
Many staff don't even recognise the physical and mental signs of malnutrition and dehydration, yet this training can be easily implemented

Please would you kindly consider doing something about it.

Many thanks,
Nicola Hurst.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 27 Feb 11 1:51am

Honeybunchkins

Member since Sat 20 Mar 10

Re: Malnutrition in Care Homes

My grandmother is currently in a care home and is fed really well, everyday they come around with a little trolly and ask which meal the residents would like, and they do look tasty, but I dont know about other care homes in the country. I think that it isnt really the food that is the problem (in my grandmothers case anyway) however I do agree that many staff are not trained very well at all. I think it would be better if they were fully trained as nurses/doctors before being able to care of the often sick residents.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 11 May 11 3:25pm

kevin10

Member since Tue 19 Apr 11

Yes bunchkins, you have raised a very good point that it's not about the quality of food. Actually it is more about the care home staff and about the question that whether they are trained well or not. Often it has been seen that care home management does not provide them good quality training. Trained care staff with suitable and caring professionals creates certainly a difference between a good care home and a bad care home. Sometimes management plays also vital role.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 12 May 11 1:32am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

I for one am really happy with the care my 101 yr old grandmother is recieving in her retirement home, the staff are all very caring and capable. Recently they noticed that she wasn't always eating her meals so have moved her into a higher care section that has a higher level of staffing where they can make sure she eats or even feed her if necessary. I know there are some dodgy ones out there but some of the care homes are wonderful.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 12 May 11 11:44am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Like all people , elderly people vary as to their appertite , the amount they will drink etc etc.

It can be very difficult sometimes to try to persuade someone who you know really needs to drink actually to drink.
Likewise with eating .

I would think that the issue highlighted is confined to the minority rather than the majority of establisents and of course we don't know what the individual residents are like ,what their condition is , if they are fit and healthy or if they are suffering from an underlying condition such as dementia or any thing else .
It might not be the care home at fault and it's easy to pass judgement when we know little about what has happened in each indedivdual case

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 29 Nov 12 10:19pm

careegen

Member since Thu 29 Nov 12

Inspiring Institutional Chefs. (a letter to Jamie Oliver, from those who care)

Dear Jamie,

We're writing on behalf of our elders sometimes neglected and now 'housed'
in care and nursing homes.

This is personal to me because its happening to my Mother :-(

You would be making some of our mums and Gran-mums very happy if you could
see a way in the not too distant future,...please please please...for you
to inspire, educate and retrain their cooks/chefs..care home managers and
owners; in serving healthy wholesome food.

Having witnessed standards of poor nutritional care in several nursing
homes in our area alone, we are saddened that in a society that regards
itself as a democracy, which is supposed to uphold equal and human rights,

there are only minimal standards of care and nutrition actually being
delivered.

Because of age, disability and long term illness, many of our friends and
relatives are deprived of their own *choices,* individual tastes, menu,
diet and nutrition, leaving many vulnerable people protein, carbohydrate,
iron and calcium (Vital-mineral) deficient.

Many institutional care homes seem to be deficient in providing their
residents a balanced and healthy diet. There appears to be a complete lack
of fresh fruit, salads, smoothies, vegetables, herbs, spices, fresh fish,
poultry and fresh or bottled water.

We have witnessed substantially small meals lacking in vital nutrients,
residents being forced to live off a poor and unhealthy diet. e.g. Small
pieces of white bread, a few cream crackers, over cooked mince stew,
crumpets or ice cream for 'dinner'.

*Plus a lot more *atrocities not mentioned in this letter.

This is depriving these helpless individuals of essential vitamins and
minerals. Consequently this could lead to exacerbating illness or premature death.

Other observations include; cheap food products, e.g juices, squashes and
sauces often with colouring's, preservatives and additives made to become
the the staple diet of many residents who are paying around 1000 per week, per head
for this torture.

Furthermore, our unfortunate parents who end up in this situation, often have no voice at all!, they become dis-empowered homeless and hopeless, and sometimes all their worldly goods, along with their children's inheritance are sold off to pay for the privilege of this care.
It is also important for me to add here that there are some committed care home owners who do their best, and we hope do provide excellent levels of nutrition as part of individual care packages. (albeit, not seen by me as yet, still researching this endemic problem)

Moreover, there is a huge industry that has profited by housing the 'unseen
and hidden 'pharmaceutically calmed,' elderly, disabled and severely ill.

(what a crying shame on us)

Perhaps, there are care home managers that are on a tight budget... and
are providing our older folks with good, tasty and nutritious food,
maybe...but who knows for sure? And can this really be made possible? We
would like to bring light to this situation and politely request some of your Jamie
Oliver Magic; especially after seeing how you helped to change the
unhealthy school dinners and turn this country's health around. (Ref: telie vision program)

To be as brief as possible in this instance I have recently registered a community Interest Company called
Care-E-Generation C.I.C , we would love to assist in this project, with some fund raising, I for one is ready willing and able to walk to lands end to raise some cash to pay for an I pad with a touch and talk program as there
is an over abundance of nursing homes in our area of Southport, Merseyside, all with vulnerable people who's quality of life can be dramatically improved with a little effort on our behalf..(2 world wars ...wtf, scuse my down to earth passion, I do not intend to offend, harm or hurt anyone concerned, so come on lets do something good before we die eh!;-)

To continue my rant...we are also surrounded by local farms, salad and vegetable growers, who could easily contribute and be part of the solution, its called Locavore, the sourcing and utilizing of very locally produced produce.

This letter is based on my own personal observations, and those of family and friends of our
beloved mum who recently had a stroke bringing this all to our heart felt attention.

I would like to add that I am not a qualified nutritionist, but have a large interest in healthy
eating.

However, I am a trained psychologist with years of experience working with
the most vulnerable in our society.

Kind Regards,

Nick Segal,

Director: Care-E-Generation. Community Interest Company

Argyle House

Leicester Street

Southport

Merseyside

PR9 0HA

Careegen@gmail