forum: Jamie's Food Revolution

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 16 Feb 11 11:11pm

Cecio

Member since Wed 16 Feb 11

food in America

I only recently watched some of the episodes of your incredible adventures in the US school system. I could not believe that, at last, someone, not just loud and clear, but courageous and effective enough, is trying to change American food habits!

I am Italian, married to an American, and a mother of two boys who always attended the American school system.  I still have vivid memories of terrifying menus during their elementary school days in Falls Church, VA.

I cannot tell you enough how thankful I am not only for your courageous campaign, but most of all for making me feel, after some twenty years of life among Americans (especially in the early years of my marriage), not so isolated and singled out any more, for I have been considered so "different" by both other parents and the American side of my family.

Wow, I could not stop watching your episode in West Virginia... so real, amazing.  Thanks
   big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 03 Mar 11 3:07am

MorgaineB

Occupation Druid
From SW Virginia
Member since Wed 02 Mar 11

Re: food in America

Reply to Cecio:

Greetings, Cecio,

I am not Italian, but I am of Italian descent on my father's side of the family, and am living in SW Virginia... I know what you mean about feeling like an outsider -- and also what you mean about those horrifying school menus... I see the same thing happening at local supermarkets, which have recently cleared out the organic foods in favour of pre-packaged FRIED foods. Virtually everything is battered and fried. It's disgusting! We're having a hellish time even finding fresh veg locally. Anyway, I'll stop my rant and just say you're not the only Italian in the State.

Best wishes,

Morgaine

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 03 Mar 11 3:28am

cadlmom2011

Occupation mad knitter, busy mommy, beginner cook!
From Maine USA
Member since Wed 02 Mar 11

MorgaineB wrote:

I see the same thing happening at local supermarkets, which have recently cleared out the organic foods in favour of pre-packaged FRIED foods. Virtually everything is battered and fried. It's disgusting! We're having a hellish time even finding fresh veg locally. Anyway, I'll stop my rant and just say you're not the only Italian in the State.

Best wishes,

Morgaine

Ha! Move to Maine! Then you'll eat fresh veg often! smile

Speaking of US supermarkets....

I have a good habit of avoiding high fructose corn syrup with my breads and my kids (who eat bread constantly i.e. sandwiches) - I have to buy the bread from Walmart! (Arnold Bakery brand which comes from PA.)  I hate going into Walmart for meat or veg though! I avoid buying those at Walmart.

Our supermarkets up here - Whole Foods and Hannaford actually have gone almost 80 percent organic.  There's still store processed nonsense offered but we get the organics too.  I finally went into the cleaning supplies aisle and I was able to buy organic dish washing detergent, laundry soap, trash bags (biodegradable and recycled) for about half the price of the 'store made, company produced usual - kill the earth - products'.  I was impressed!     

Then again, I'm getting my composting worm farm going and also creating a decent chicken coop this summer to grow my own fresh veg (we do it every summer but I want to continue it year round so I need seedling supplies) and get my own fresh eggs. 

I'm looking forward to my 1000 new 'babies' my worms in a couple weeks and teaching my kids composting the worm way!

thumbsup

PS. I am not Italian.  I remember some very scary school menus when I was in junior high!

smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 17 Apr 11 7:05am

L.E.F.

Member since Fri 23 Apr 10

Yeah, It's bad. I live in Minnesota, and I am currently in High School. Our school is a little better then the ones on Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, but not by much. I bring lunch from home every day. It's the worst day for lunch on friday (usually) because of the Pizza Friday. Yuck. We also have some other questionable things in plastic bags that were heated up.....I really don't know what they are. And we get these weird cookies in our lunch every day, and not just one, but 20 or so. Our school also has chips for lunches. it's pretty sad. One nice thing is that our school does have a salad option every day. Unfortunately, everyone who gets the salad also gets the sauce, Caesar dressing, and although Caesar dressing is good (when homemade) this is just processed stuff that is all white and icky. It looks like gloop, or glue.

Last edited by L.E.F. (Sun 17 Apr 11 7:06am)

Likes (0)