Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 29 May 11 11:37pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

AGAIN I ASK! IT IS IMPORTANT!

PLEASE PLEASE GET INVOLVED WITH CHICKEN OUT: JAMIE IS AND SO SHOULD YOU.
http://www.chickenout.tv/

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 29 May 11 11:53pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: AGAIN I ASK! IT IS IMPORTANT!

I am already involved with 'Compassion in world farming' and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Its stiil rare in GB to find organic chicken, Morrisons have a few...very white birds sold as organic hmm why are they so white?

Tesco has near to nothing concerning organic...except three years ago when i needed to find a turkey, the last two christmas visits were decieving when hunting around for 'Compassion meats'.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 30 May 11 12:45am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

That's a shame.  I guess I'm spoiled living in the place I do.  I refuse to buy battery chickens when the humanely raised ones are sometimes cheaper than the others.
Was toying with the idea of getting a "heritage turkey" to raise this year.  That is, one that has not been bred to have a gigantic breast so big that it cannot stand.
I think that's ridiculoulsy cruel.  Someone was advertising poults at the feed store for $9 each.  A bargain when you consider that they end up being about that much per pound when they have them at Thanksgiving time.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 02 Jun 11 11:19pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Tesco is not good for food, Waitrose has much better food. Good food has to be searched for. The real Meat Company does great things.We are lucky the shop we use only does free range (proper free range). Our Chickens come from France, Marrie Hott . Old School breeds as ever being the best. UK has eggs from http://www.clarencecourt.co.uk  that are amazing. Again rare breed means the best. Uber trendy chef and all round good guy Mark Hix is involved , so guaranteed results, some amazing recipes to.
Well done both of you , keep  spreading  the word. Hugh is amazing is he not Kye. Also I read abook from USA called Eating Animals, a book evreyone should read.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 03 Jun 11 12:34am

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Kye, all the big supermarket chains have extensive organic ranges.  The problem is demand is very high and the better-quality birds are often sold out, especially in smaller branches.  Even Tesco Express petrol stations stock free-range sausages and chicken.  However, for example, our local Morrisons very rarely has any free-range or organic meat left by mid-afternoon. 

It is available, and it is popular.  The organic/ethical movement in the UK has been high profile in recent years and people are responding.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 03 Jun 11 6:40am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

wish it would happen here..., organic & free range here is twice the cost...

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 03 Jun 11 1:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I joined when the show was in the UK

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 03 Jun 11 3:14pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

One of the big suppliers here, Perdue, has started labeling their chicken as cage-free and all natural.  I don't know if that means much, but it's a step in the right direction.  They must realize this issue is important to consumers.  I really do credit Jamie with making people more aware.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 03 Jun 11 3:22pm

Kye

Forum super champ

MsP that sounds better than 'free-range'...which means that they walk around, perhaps have a bit more space to move but what are they fed with?

These standards aren't yet upto Organic.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 04 Oct 12 7:16pm

Kye

Forum super champ

I bought a great meaty organic chicken today, with thighs like a real runner. Its colour is almost yellow as it has eaten so much corn.

Date limit is 06/10 so its in the freezer until i decide how to use it. Price 6.00  big_smile

Boys would like me to make another Jambalaya this week-end, so.... wink

Likes (0)