forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#531 Thu 16 Jun 11 3:26pm

danzig

Member since Thu 16 Jun 11

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

It seems that not all schools are interested in creating a better menu for children. Our students are still getting pizza for breakfast and it seems the government has stepped in and processed foods are required to avoid salmonella, etc. They spent a lot of money on a new cafeteria years ago and now... processed foods in packages and eating on plastic. Where are the environmental groups just on the plastic throw aways alone? Processed foods? Never knew them to be healthy. Very sad.
  I am glad you are around to help change these horrible food choices in schools these days. We need more of you. Thanks Jamie.  clap

Likes (0)

#532 Fri 17 Jun 11 10:50am

laurahammond

Member since Fri 17 Jun 11

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Food Revolution show.  I'm really struggling with my daughter's eating habits.  She's been diagnosed as a borderline diabetic ... and needs to improve her eating habits.  She's 17, 5'11" and 125 lbs -- not exactly your average candidate for Type 2.  She won't eat any fruits, very few veg, and consists on meat, fat and carbs.  I try to provide, by example, enjoyment of a diverse diet and she has ample access to fruits and veg.  While her father has radically changed his own diet, as a Scott -- grew up mostly on meat and potatoes -- living in Colorado sometimes doesn't help that bias.  I love Farmer's markets and access to local produce.  PLEASE help!

Likes (0)

#533 Sat 18 Jun 11 3:33am

missy_playful

Member since Sat 18 Jun 11

CANADIANS LOVE JAMIE!

Small confession - I have had a crush on Jamie since is first show. Small kitchen, young boy with plenty of odd sayings and food noises. He had my heart and soul. A handsome man with wonderful values and cooks! i frequently cook his easy and whimsical recipes.
Food Revolution is a mission I will gladly back up! I would hope to speak for the East Coast of Canada in saying: Sweetheart, we believe in you! I have faith you are making a lasting difference in the world.

Love always, a fan and subscriber to your love of food education,
Melissa

Likes (0)

#534 Sat 18 Jun 11 3:37am

lincolnldy

I worked with the NISD in San Antonio TX in the cafe and the food was so processed sometimes I didn't recognize it. Living in a dominate Hispanic city every day rice and beans and enchiladas were served. The school I worked in most of the time was a middle school and they always offered pizza (Redbarron) , fries, burgers. Very little fresh fruit and vegetables were offered. Fruit and veggies that were served were canned. Some salads were served usually only about 10-12 for a school of over 1000 kids.  I asked one of the ladies I worked with about why the food was so carb and fat overloaded, and her response was that some children are on assistance and this may be the only meal they get each day and that is why the meals were the way they were. I can understand, but having a daughter diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 9, you really get to know food. Unfortunately the school districts do not really care much about what the children are eating it seems they care mostly about the bottom dollar. My son just graduated from high school and at the end of his junior year he said he didn't like to eat at school due to the over load of junk food. He would take his lunch or not eat at all. This needs to be changed across the country. Please keep going. Thank you Jamie for doing something that should have been done years ago.

Likes (0)

#535 Sat 18 Jun 11 8:01am

tweenchef123

Hi Jamie! I'm a 12-year-old kid in the Seattle area and I strongly believe there needs to be a change. I attend private school that serves hot deli food from a nearby grocery store as their hot lunch, so I haven't noticed too much of a problem, but my friends in public school are unhappy with their lunches. It shocks me to look at food items eaten every day by Americans and see all the preservatives and other crappy ingredients loaded inside them. That's why I eat all-natural and organic foods on a regular basis. I'm so passionate about this topic that I created a healthy cooking blog, YouTube channel for cooking videos, and I'm writing a cookbook as well. I think America needs lots of kid and teen advocates for this issue because other kids will actually be motivated by seeing people their own age making a difference. If you want to see how I'm supporting the food revolution and the fight for changing the way this country eats, you can check out my websites and videos. I tried posting the links, but the forum wouldn't let me. So instead I'll put the words of the links in caps (in order) so you can type it in on your own time.

Blog:
HTTP:// FOOD FOR TEENS BY TEENS . BLOGSPOT . COM

YouTube channel:
HTTP:// YOUTUBE . COM / USER / TWEENCHEF123

Thank you! Go Food Revolution!

Likes (0)

#536 Sun 19 Jun 11 5:52am

silversurfer88

Occupation Small Business proprietor
From South Australia
Member since Sat 11 Jun 11

Good on you R.Steiner. If I wasn't so far away (Australia) I would be in it with you.

As for good food, I am so sick of hearing people say nothing can be changed......everything can be changed if only people stick together to make those changes. Sitting on the sidelines waiting to see what happens will not effect change, only we the people united can make change happen, so stand up and be counted and join those who have the guts and determination to make change happen in food and in life.

It's up to us, Jamie cannot do it on his own

Likes (0)

#537 Sun 19 Jun 11 9:20am

solight111

Member since Sun 19 Jun 11

Jamie,

Thanks for taking your quest to the media! It is a great tool in your hands. I haven't always liked the effect of TV regardless of the content on social conditions that need attention, it can often fall into the category of fiction when people take it in as entertainment, while you have succeeded in bringing home more than that through your excellent unfilter view of the kids feelings, as well as your exuberant presentations of facts (1 year of fast food, a bus load of sugar, etc..). It's brilliant!

I have been following this season in LA online. It's great, man! I also want you to know that it's not about time slots or ratings, as you know, it's about people. And if people care enough about something they are kept from experiencing, the natural response is for that information to become available through these forms of alternative media, by which I mean the internet. It just needs a leader, and you are the man!! Good work brother!

Likes (0)

#538 Mon 20 Jun 11 10:59pm

miagair

Member since Fri 27 May 11

i am also 12 and live in the UK. the education in schools in the UK and all over the world needs to change. no wonder kids are getting diabietes, dieing before their parents and relying on council benifits to provide for them. our civilistation is a mess! we need to be learning about money managment, how to cook realy food on a budget, and basic life skills that have been lost in this confussion. I live in a wealthy town, those who do not do sport clubs are the odd ones out and as a family we cook together, eat as a family twice a day and only eat organic homegrown food. however i appreciate this is not the case for all, i have seen what it is to have money and not fully understand nor appreciate it, and what it is like to stop caring due to a low income. but it doesn't matter how much money you have, good food should be shared between us all, if we all help each other out by doing our bit we will not just get the financial benifits, but also benifits from feeling good from doing something good. we go to school for a reason, we are there to learn what we need to live our lives to the maximum, this is not being done, we are practical beings and naturally would be hunting and doing phyisical activities all day long, so sitting at a desk all day is not the way to live. ever since i was little i have only ever wanted to do two things, be a boss, and help people. i was the strange 4 year old who when asked in nursery said i didn't want to be a princess, i wanted to own my own hospital to change peoples lives while working for myself. but i realized this was silly as i hate blood. so when i started getting involved with my mums nutrition and fitness business i realized that the health and wellbeing of humans is what i really want to do when i am older. i wnat to change the worlds health, i get that this is anbitions, but hay somebodies got to do it

Likes (0)

#539 Sat 25 Jun 11 11:21pm

rwanda

Member since Sat 25 Jun 11

My name is Kyle. I'm from Vancouver, Canada.
I am opening the first and only bowling alley in Kigali, Rwanda.
It isn't just a bowling alley, it is a public swimming pool with a sand volleyball court, a hot yoga studio, hair salon, restaurant and youth hostile. My problem is that the food in Rwanda is terrible, it is next to impossible to find a good cook that can put out consistent food.
We are getting busy already and the bowling alley and hostile isn't even complete until the middle of Sept.

I would love to have a chef take over and run the restaurant for me. Almost all of the restaurants in the country serve awful food and take a long time in doing so. There isn't a good quality restaurant serving health food anywhere in Rwanda. In short I have read about Jamie's school and I thought if any of the students wanted to run their own kitchen and be able to keep a majority of the profits, I have the right place.

It will be a great challenge and they would be starting with very basic kitchen tools.
The chef would have to know French, to communicate with most of the employees and source for the best ingredients. If anyone fits or knows someone that might fit pls. email me at kylephubbard at hotmail  help

Likes (0)

#540 Tue 28 Jun 11 8:19pm

miagair

Member since Fri 27 May 11

if you could hold on 7 years i would be more than happy to work with you, sorry i can't do it sooner, its a bit too far from home for me!  smile

Likes (0)