forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 23 Jun 11 8:28pm

Dougs

Member since Mon 25 Sep 06

Jamie Oliver BBQ

Hi
Has anyone purchased a Jamie Oliver BBQ recently? I think they look really cool but one review said that the pan is deep so you have to add lots of coals or the food doesnt cook properly.  Just wondered what everyone else thinks.  There is one that is on a really good offer and looks amazing  smile
I do think Jamie only lends his names to good products but interested in reviews.
Thanks peeps.
Keep up the amazing work Jamie
xxx

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 23 Jun 11 8:39pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Jamie Oliver BBQ

I have not seen the BBQ , but I do think that its odd that the review said that the deep pan does not let the food cook properly...personally I would think that its more that persons BBQ technique .
If you get the coals to the correct heat , a white heat and there are the correct amount for the BBQ then there should be no problem in cooking the food.

I have a cooking pot which is like a fairly deep terracotta flowerpot , it is for cooking wih a tagine , I put the charcoal in the base, light it and wait till the coals get that dusty coating of white on them then I start to cook.. its perfect , I have also used it as a small BBQ and grilled some Kebabs , toasted breads etc .
Without any problem.

When I BBQ I take my time as the result is better , rather than rush to cook something as fast as I can.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 23 Jun 11 8:50pm

Dougs

Member since Mon 25 Sep 06

Thanks Mummza, I do agree with it being the technique.  I really want a BBQ and have been debating for a while over whether to get a gas BBQ or a charcoal one, i like the idea of the charcoals keeping warm as at the sun goes down as kind of a heater - me and my romantic idea's hehe !!
Also, the weather in England isnt that great mostly, so gas would be quicker than waiting for the coals to go white but charcoal tastes better - hmmm decisions decisions  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 24 Jun 11 7:32am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

We have both gas and a charcoal foukou (a local rotisserie style bbq)

The gas one gets used most of the time, often as an alternative to the stove top griddle or grilling. The foukou comes out when we want kebabs or souvla. it's all down to what you'll be cooking and what works well for you.

If you're going to be cooking burgers and sausages a lot then go with gas as the heat is more controllable - useful when you get a flare up. A gas BBQ can also double as a smoker.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 24 Jun 11 10:34am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I find that with proper technique there is much better temperature control with charcoal.    I did a quick search and it looks like he has branded quite a range of different grills, which one specifically were you interested in??    If it is the charcoal kettle style , I would say it is probably a good one.  Make sure it is enamel coated not high heat painted other than that kettles are some of the best units to put a wide range of food .    They work great as makeshift smokers as well.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#6 Fri 24 Jun 11 11:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I find the gas BBQ we have is easy a lot of the time as its quick to set up  , if the weather was more predictable , we would use charcoal more ( it rains a lot !!)

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 26 Jun 11 2:29am

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Dougs,  I think you should buy a gas one and a charcoal one!  LOL   You still l trying to figure out which one, aye?   Let me know what you decide!!  Love you!! smile

Likes (0)