Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 01 Aug 11 6:04pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Berries, Berries, Berries....

Hi everyone,

We have just posted up a few new recipes on the site and as you will see from the lovely wallpaper this month it's all about berries..... recipes for you:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/frui … pone-tarts

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/frui … de-shortbr

Simple question this week - do you like berries? How do you eat or cook with them? We used to have a mulberry tree back in Aus, I have not had a decent mulberry in years.... Mum used to make mulberry pies and mulberry jam which was ohhhhhh soooooo good!

Cheers

Danny

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 01 Aug 11 6:18pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: Berries, Berries, Berries....

I adore berries.  I eat them alone, in yogurt, in pies and of course jams and jellies.
smile

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 01 Aug 11 6:44pm

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

I love berries too! Mostly blueberries and raspberries...warming up to strawberries. I've only had blackberries once and they were like cardboard. Hopefully it was just a bad batch.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 01 Aug 11 7:20pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

clap  clap  clap  thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 01 Aug 11 7:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

ooooooohhhhh Mulberry jam , I love Mulberry jam but I have not had it for years , my grandparents lived somwhere once with a large mulbury tree in the garden ( that I was nt allowed to climb ..ever ...but it did not stop me trying to climb it !!) I remember Mulberry jam.

Yes I love Berries , I get quite excited about the strawberies when they  start arriving on the plants ..you cant beat a fresh picked British Strawberry.
delicious however they are eaten.

Raspberies .. oh I love raspberries , Fresh made Raspberry jam is a favorite in our house. Frozen raspberries are always in the freezer for a quick pudding .when the children were small tthey used to love raspberries that had been warmed iin a pan so they became all juicy and 'microwave meringues ' floating over the  top.
They were also fasinated by helping to make the microwave meringues , seeing this litle clump of like a fondant icing texture grow into ovely crumby light meringues.

Blueberries , the ones that are sold in the shops I quite like , but I used to ick the tiny wild blueberries years ago when I could find then but never quite got enough to make much more than a blueberryand apple pie occasionally ( as most disapeared down myself and my friends as we used to pick them.... of course it was for the reasons of quality control !!)

Blackberries , Blackberry and appple jam , this was the one thing that even if it was a bit tough and rubbery ..or..too rubbery ,when  my mother made it and it tasted ok  lol .
Bramble jelly is lovely , but I have not made it for a while.
The cultivated blackberries that are in the shops as very tasty .

Goosberries are delicious , but I tink that a lot of people pick them too early nowadays whilst they are still very hard and green instead of waiting a bit till they have just a bit of 'give ' when you pinch them ....the flavour is better if they are left a little longer on the bush.
I love gooseberry fool , such a simple pudding that has gone out of fashion a bit.

Redcurrants , blackcurrents and white currants .... are there classed as berries ?
anyway I am very forn of these as well !!

I dont use elderberries much but they do make a cracking wine !
and a syrup made from elderberryjuice is lovely dribbled over icecream.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 01 Aug 11 8:03pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I've never met a berry I didn't like. I love the desserts we had in Germany at Movenpick - pies and tarts with a mix of all the various types of berries -  blueberries, blackberries, currants, raspberries, strawberries.

I sometimes make 'American' pudding which is a creamy custard made on the stovetop not in the oven, a homemade vanilla and then top it with wild blueberries and fresh raspberries.  I wish I had some in front of me right now!

Danny, I am not sure if your mulberries are the same as the wild ones we used to eat as kids.  These were a kind of pale rose color and were not all that flavorful or sweet, but fun to eat, juicy and interesting.  I may have to google . . .

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 01 Aug 11 8:05pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 01 Aug 11 9:10pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

The wild blueberries that I used to pick from the very lowlying little bushes on the hills were very small Ms P , nothing like the larger tpe that I see in the shops.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 01 Aug 11 10:25pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Danny wrote:

Hi everyone,

We have just posted up a few new recipes on the site and as you will see from the lovely wallpaper this month it's all about berries..... recipes for you:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/frui … pone-tarts

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/frui … de-shortbr

Simple question this week - do you like berries? How do you eat or cook with them? We used to have a mulberry tree back in Aus, I have not had a decent mulberry in years.... Mum used to make mulberry pies and mulberry jam which was ohhhhhh soooooo good!

Cheers

Danny

"
..................................We used to have a mulberry tree back in Aus, I have not had a decent mulberry in years.... Mum used to make mulberry pies and mulberry jam which was ohhhhhh soooooo good!"

this is a beautiful starting for a film, I can see Danny as a child and taste the sweetness of the mulberries on the tree and the smell of those too ripe fallen on the grass, making a sort of must

.........an old farmer told me some days ago that in past times there was not a single mulberry on the ground, children ate them short before they were ripe on the branches

wink I like this thread full of life

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Mon 01 Aug 11 10:26pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 01 Aug 11 10:42pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I know that once I got in trouble from my for staining my dress with the Mulberry juice from the fruits on the tree Grandmadamada so I guess you are right there, if I was not allowed to climb the tree ( unless of couse noone could see me !) then I must have eaten the fruits from the lower branches or from the ground as they fell from the tree ... so long ago I cant remember , all I remember is that it was a big house hat seemed dark inside and there was this magical tree that seemed to fill the garden to me . It was the only time as a child that I ever saw a Mulberry tree as they are not common in the UK.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 02 Aug 11 1:53am

mommyof2nc

Forum champ
Occupation Mommy, wife, chauffeur, chef, nurse, maid, occasional zookeeper...
From North Carolina, USA
Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

I love any kind of berry.  I mostly just eat them plain or in fruit salad but also make jam with them.  Sometimes, I eat them with yogurt, too.

Likes (0)