forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Tue 02 Aug 11 9:45pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Berries, Berries, Berries....

There is a berry I wish that grew here, a crowberry . I tried it when we were vacationing on the northern tip of newfoundland. It only grows really far north, I wonder if they grow near britfin.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#22 Wed 03 Aug 11 7:12pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69921  - my berry soup recipes.

also today I made a pie with some jams before they go off, on rye crust (3,5 cup rye flour, 1,5 cup sourmilk, 25 g yeast, 3 tbsp syrup, 1 tsp salt, 2,5 tbsp sunflower oil). Spread on a baking sheet, then mixed 450 g jam with 2 tsp potato starch and spread it on the bottom. sprinkled some flaked almond on top and baked for 40 minutes in medium heat. You can do the same with fresh berries, then you donīt need starch. fenno-ugric kitchen has a lot of berry pies on rye crust and they are hard to resist. I had to leave home and come write to you so I donīt binge them all!!!

Likes (0)

#23 Wed 03 Aug 11 8:04pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Raspberries, Loganberries, Tayberries, Blackberries, (jams, medicines for colds/coughs, fresh in/on meringues, but also frozen for "Christmas Day Trifle" & sorbets for when everyobe is sick of the sight of food!)
Currants - Red, Blue, Black & White (oh! a wonder in "Summer Pudding", cooked into muffins/cakes or stewed into a light syrup for topping pancakes/crumpets)
Strawberries (on their own with white pepper & a dollop of clotted cream, in Eton Mess, & jams/syrups to beat the winter blues)
Gooseberries (a star Spring/Summer fruit.......crumbles & puds, syrups for ice-cream & for coughs, jams, & with Elderflowers to make the most wonderful jelly, cordials/liqueur.....the list goes on for this most fabulous fruit!)
Bilberries - not to be confused with the cultivated Blueberry, but the berry that grows wild on the moors (jam)
Cape Gooseberry - Physalis/chinese Lanterns ( jam or dipped in chocolate as a sweet/dessert garnish)
Elderberries (medicines)
Lingonberries (a cheat this one, since I don't grow them myself.............a Swedish friend living near me brings gifts from her mother for me when she goes home. Her mother likes the idea of me enjoying Lingonberries!)

.....................I suspect that like most people, Danny is thinking of SOFT FRUIT-type berries, but Rowan, Sloe, Haws & Juniper berries are as important as any soft fruit berry could ever be!

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 03 Aug 11 8:57pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I need to put juniper berries on my shopping list.  Used the last of them yesterday in my pancetta cure.  And we can't have sick pancettas now can we?

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 03 Aug 11 9:01pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I almost forgot about the Sea Buckthorn berry.  MrP and I bought the pure juice in Helsinki first at the Herring Festival and later from Stockmann's Dept. Store which has two grocery store levels.  It's also made into candies, is very sour and loaded with vitamin C.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 03 Aug 11 9:05pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I like Sea Buckthorn juice.  I have only ever had it once at booth at a garlic festival near us.  yummy

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#27 Wed 03 Aug 11 9:17pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I've only ever been to the Herring Festival in Saint Olaff.  I worked at the Guess The Herring's Weight booth.

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 03 Aug 11 9:33pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Ashen wrote:

There is a berry I wish that grew here, a crowberry . I tried it when we were vacationing on the northern tip of newfoundland. It only grows really far north, I wonder if they grow near britfin.

Empetrum nigrum does grow in the north of Scotland, but that's no help is it? Sorry Ashman!

Likes (0)

#29 Thu 04 Aug 11 1:26am

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

minerva wrote:

Raspberries, Loganberries, Tayberries, Blackberries, (jams, medicines for colds/coughs, fresh in/on meringues, but also frozen for "Christmas Day Trifle" & sorbets for when everyobe is sick of the sight of food!)
Currants - Red, Blue, Black & White (oh! a wonder in "Summer Pudding", cooked into muffins/cakes or stewed into a light syrup for topping pancakes/crumpets)
Strawberries (on their own with white pepper & a dollop of clotted cream, in Eton Mess, & jams/syrups to beat the winter blues)
Gooseberries (a star Spring/Summer fruit.......crumbles & puds, syrups for ice-cream & for coughs, jams, & with Elderflowers to make the most wonderful jelly, cordials/liqueur.....the list goes on for this most fabulous fruit!)
Bilberries - not to be confused with the cultivated Blueberry, but the berry that grows wild on the moors (jam)
Cape Gooseberry - Physalis/chinese Lanterns ( jam or dipped in chocolate as a sweet/dessert garnish)
Elderberries (medicines)
Lingonberries (a cheat this one, since I don't grow them myself.............a Swedish friend living near me brings gifts from her mother for me when she goes home. Her mother likes the idea of me enjoying Lingonberries!)

.....................I suspect that like most people, Danny is thinking of SOFT FRUIT-type berries, but Rowan, Sloe, Haws & Juniper berries are as important as any soft fruit berry could ever be!

Sloe Gin    mrgreen  yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 04 Aug 11 7:25pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

but in fact berries are still most beneficial eaten raw.
they are good on pancakes and in rolls too.

and with ice cream

Last edited by RedfoxEstonia (Thu 04 Aug 11 7:27pm)

Likes (0)