forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 28 Aug 11 7:56am

Question

Member since Mon 07 Mar 11

Any tips for cooking steak?

I just cooked some a few days ago. No sauce or seasoning. Cooked them till they were brown on the outside, but the inside was still pretty red when i cut it open. Not sure if i undercooked them or something...

I ended up buying a bottle of steak sauce yesterday. Not sure whats the best way to use it though...do i fry the steak with the sauce, or put the sauce on only after i finish cooking it?

P.S. Any idea what beef schnitzel is? I bought a packet too and it just seems like boneless beef.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 28 Aug 11 10:25am

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Re: Any tips for cooking steak?

Steak Sauce is just a condiment, not dissimilar to Brown Sauce. Personally I would not let it anywhere near a decent steak, give me a homemade Pepper Sauce any day.

The usual way I cook a steak is either on the gas bbq or on a griddle pan. This gives the criss-cross charred lines and an excellent visual effect.

Heat the BBQ or grill pan to a medium-high heat. Lightly season the steaks with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil. For medium rare, grill each steak for 4 minutes each side, 8 minutes each side for medium and 16 minutes each side for well-done. Split the time each side in half and put the steaks on diagonally and turn to the opposite diagonal for the second half of the time before flipping.

To test if your steak is cooked to your liking, press the centre with the back of the tongs. The steak will feel soft if it's rare, slightly firmer and springy when it's medium and very firm when it's well-done.

Remove the steaks and place on a plate to rest for half of its cooking time. I usually put the steak on its edge as this avoids it sitting in a pool of juices.

With timings like this, it is easy to manage people wanting different levels of doneness, just put the ones on that need the most cooking first and use a timer to keep track of where you are. Always rest the steaks.

Schnitzels are easy enough to make and if what you got was in a packet then it is likely as far from a proper schnitzel as you're likely to get. Making them is simple.

Get a piece of (Veal or Beef Escalope/Chicken Breast/Pork Fillet) then put it in between 2 pieces of cling wrap and use a meat mallet to make it thin all over, some butchers can do this for you. Set up a breading station, I use milk, seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Dip in the milk, then coat with seasoned flour, then dip in the egg and coat with the breadcrumbs (panko crumbs work too)

Heat some oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry till golden brown.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 28 Aug 11 11:05am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Smple tips ....
get steak to room temperature
Get the pan hot
oil the steak not the pan

the differnce between getting the steak well done , medium rare or rare ...
this might sound odd I know !
with middle finger , feel and press down on your forehead , your cheek and your chin . You will feel the difference in the 3 areas you have just pressed .
If you want he steak well when you press on it in the pan it will feel much like your forehead
,for medium rare it will feel much like your your chin
and for rare it will feel much like your cheek !!

Remember once you remove our steak from the pan ..always rest it for a couple of mnutes so that it starts to relax and absorb some of the juices. By doing this the steak will be more tender and less blooded ( in the case of a rare steak )

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 28 Aug 11 9:09pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I cut a small piece of the fat from the steak and let it render on the hot pan before adding the steaks.  I would make a homemade pan sauce, even deglazing with a little water or wine and then a piece of butter is nice.  Steak sauce is delicious on any type of burger, I really like it on vegetarian burgers, don't know why.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 29 Aug 11 7:46am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I think the main trick is definitely to let the steak come to room temperature before you cook it, then you're much less likely to end up with it under cooked.  Otherwise, the tips given here pretty much cover it.  But otherwise it is really a bit of trial and error.  Good luck crossed

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 05 Sep 11 11:32am

Question

So what is beef schnitzel exactly? It just looks like boneless beef to me...

And whats the point of resting the steak after cooking? Wont that just make it cold when i eat it?

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 05 Sep 11 12:19pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 11 Sep 11 11:41am

Question

Wouldnt the steak get cold while resting?

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 11 Sep 11 12:21pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Cover it with foil

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 11 Sep 11 1:51pm

HaggisHunter

Occupation keeping dogs happy
Member since Sun 06 Feb 11

Love your tip Mummza! May I qoute you in the future? :-)
I agree with Falcony a home made sauce is so much better.  This is  really quick and easy pepper sauce I use often...

1 table spoon of Pepper corns... in brine or pre-soaked (any colour but I like a mix of pink & green for a bit of colour)

Small glass of white wine

150g of Gorgonzola, cut into cubes 

Good nob of butter & table spoon of olive oil (I use a home made garlic oil here for a bit more flavour)

Couple of nice big sirloin steaks (for me its got to be rare!)

Melt the butter & oil in a pan on a high heat. Add the steaks & pepper corns cooking the steak to your liking (i will be trying mummzas tip here)

Remove the steaks to stand.... Covering with foil will keep them warm.

Keeping the pepper corns in the pan, add the white wine & sizzle on a high heat for a minute, stirring up the tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pan.

Turning down the heat to a medium, add the gorgonzola stirring continuously for a few minutes letting the cheese melt into a smooth sauce.

Now slap your steak on yer plate and pour over your lovely sauce.... Simples!

Likes (0)