forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 06 Oct 11 2:21pm

Drewboy

Member since Thu 06 Oct 11

Cultivator Advice

Hello All,

This is my first post on here.

It is coming to the end of my first year of my allotment, and what a year I had with lots of homegrown veg!

I am starting to get the allotmnet ready for the winter, I am starting to clear the area I did not use, lots of weeds and mice.

My plan was to hire a caltivator, and caltivate the soil after I have cleared most of the weeds, then add compost and let it work its magic over winter.

Shall I cover the ground aswell?

Is this a good thing to do?

look forward to hearing from you all.

Drew x

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Oct 11 3:38pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Cultivator Advice

It's better to cover the area.   There are winter weeds that grow before planting time.  The options are a winter crop cover that improves soil, a thick layer of mulch or a weed cover cloth (made for this purpose).  Crop covers benefit soil in two ways, their roots make channels and they add nutrients to the soil, but usually need to be turned in to the soil in spring which creates yet another chore for you.  Mulches attract rodents, but can improve soil.   Weed barrier cloth goes down in minutes and the moment you pull it up, the area can be planted.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 06 Oct 11 5:22pm

Drewboy

Member since Thu 06 Oct 11

Thank you MS Pablo,

So you think its best to get the area ready with the,then start with protecting against the weeds?

What would you hold the weed barrier cloth down with?

Cheers

Drew

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Oct 11 6:23pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Yes, I would do it that way.  You can pile some soil around the edges to weight it down, or straignt pieces of lumber.  Ask at your garden center which type of fabric is best for this use.

It's also nice to use on paths to keep the weeds down if you don't have gravel or paving.  In this case, I would cover it with a chunky hardwood mulch, something that doesn't break down quickly, in order to protect it from wear and tearing from your boots and tools.

Likes (0)