forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1001 Mon 19 Sep 11 8:43pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Soup's on!!

MarielH - thanks for the welcome! Yes it's a good old Scottish lentil soup. I always feel it's the forgotten Scottish soup - everyone talks about Scotch Broth and Cock-a-Leekie and even Cullen Skink, but when did you last see a recipe for plain old Lentil Soup? But it's one of the best. The biggest mistake people make is to make it too thin, I think. It should be thick and rib-sticking! That or they don't cook it long enough and you can still see the lentils. I like it cooked til it's completely smooth.

If you want to make an easy cheat pea-and-ham soup, you can make lentil soup based on a strong ham broth, take the meat out, then add a handful of frozen peas at the very end, liquidise the whole shebang, and put the meat back in (or if you're using ham stock cubes, add some crispy fried bacon bits). It tastes way better than the kind made with dried peas, and it's a beautiful colour!

Last edited by hippytea (Mon 19 Sep 11 8:44pm)

Likes (0)

#1002 Thu 13 Oct 11 1:09pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I have bought 5kg onions (2.00) Guess what i am making right now?

French Onion soup does not usually have alchol or beef stock in it.

1 kg of chopped onions
3 / 4 liter of broth
2 tsp butter
2 tsp flour
3 / 4 liter of water
1 baguette
a pinch of grated nutmeg
100 g grated cheese
Salt & Pepper

In a saucepan over low heat, brown the sliced ​​onions in butter, stirring until golden. Stir in flour.

Pour the broth and water, season with pepper and grated nutmeg. Increase heat and cook about 30 minutes.

Cut the baguette into slices and toast them.

I fill seperate 'Le Creusot' dishes/bols with the soup, place the toasts on the top, cover with grated cheese and place them into the oven to grill.

Last edited by kye in france (Thu 13 Oct 11 1:16pm)

Likes (0)

#1003 Thu 13 Oct 11 2:40pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

MMmmm love it!

Likes (0)

#1004 Thu 13 Oct 11 9:24pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

My mouth is watering too.....

Likes (0)

#1005 Mon 17 Oct 11 9:09am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've never made an onion soup I'm happy with. But then I don't really know what it's supposed to taste like, so maybe I just don't like onion soup!

Likes (0)

#1006 Wed 26 Oct 11 10:36pm

MarielH

Forum champ
Occupation Retired youngster but keeping busy!!
From Scotland
Member since Sun 14 Dec 08

hippytea wrote:

MarielH - thanks for the welcome! Yes it's a good old Scottish lentil soup. I always feel it's the forgotten Scottish soup - everyone talks about Scotch Broth and Cock-a-Leekie and even Cullen Skink, but when did you last see a recipe for plain old Lentil Soup? But it's one of the best. The biggest mistake people make is to make it too thin, I think. It should be thick and rib-sticking! That or they don't cook it long enough and you can still see the lentils. I like it cooked til it's completely smooth.

If you want to make an easy cheat pea-and-ham soup, you can make lentil soup based on a strong ham broth, take the meat out, then add a handful of frozen peas at the very end, liquidise the whole shebang, and put the meat back in (or if you're using ham stock cubes, add

Oh Hipytea - so freaky - I've mad two pots of soup this week - one is  a lovely thick lentil and the other pea and ham made with ham hough and frozen peas - now trying to stock freezer up with soups as like soups for lunchtime over winter.

some crispy fried bacon bits). It tastes way better than the kind made with dried peas, and it's a beautiful colour!

smile  smile  smile

Likes (0)

#1007 Wed 26 Oct 11 11:05pm

@MyLunchTweet

Member since Wed 26 Oct 11

The best Mushroom Soup recipe? @MyLunchTweet

Likes (0)

#1008 Mon 21 Nov 11 6:50am

ainsliejones

Occupation Fashion Designer
From New York
Member since Sat 19 Nov 11

tomato soups , i love it .

Likes (0)

#1009 Thu 24 Nov 11 5:10am

jennykyn

Member since Thu 24 Nov 11

hy guy's

i have visited a site where we can have some tip's on cooking great tasting foods   big_smile

Last edited by jennykyn (Thu 24 Nov 11 5:11am)

Likes (0)

#1010 Thu 24 Nov 11 5:13am

jennykyn

Member since Thu 24 Nov 11

hope to see more

Likes (0)