Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#541 Thu 25 Aug 11 11:31am

Ruth20

Member since Thu 25 Aug 11

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

Hey there
Dont know if im in the right place posting this but i was hoping for some support from Jamie Oliver and his team im currently starting my dissertation and the title that i want to discuss is How a child's diet affects their behaviour or around those lines and i was just wondering if there is any evidence that this is true? Please let me know as soon as possible.
Thank you in advance
Ruth Martin

Likes (0)

#542 Tue 30 Aug 11 2:33am

Lornick

Member since Tue 15 Mar 11

carylnbickle, i totally understand your delema in getting kids to eat there fruit & vegies.   I have the same issues with my son but have now started to get him to eat not vegies but fruit.  How i did it was get frozen yogurt and added it to there platter of fruit, it works a treat!!!  Also ive gotten him to eat it fruit with just whipping some cream up and pouring it over the fruit (sometimes i whip it).  Now i get all kinds of fruit into my son the biggest issue i had was getting him to try it but once i got passed that now he asks for it!!!  With vegies there isnt anything i could do to make my son eat it, so the way i worked around it was for him to think it wasnt vegies or that in his favorite food like bolognise I grate many vegies  up so they cant be seen and add it to the sauce and cook it.  Now my son is loosing weight and its even building up his immune system.  The trick is to find out what the children actually like to eat and work with that.  Hopefully this helps you in finding the right kind of foods to help the children into better eating habits. Im from australia, our children here do not recieve school lunches, only lunches prepared by parents.  The weather is extremely hot most of the time, here are no fridges to keep there food cold or fresh and i have grave concerns about lunches going off before my child gets to eat it.  Unfortuately thats just the way it is here but in the same breath gives me complete control over what my son and daughter eat while there in school.  If parents are having issues with what is provided at school and the way its prepared maybe they should look into preparing there own childrens lunches and incouraging them to eat healthier at home that way the foods are not so allen to them when they have no choice but to eat healthy.

Ruth20  i found a great site on excuse the name of it but its called doctorsaredangerous.com  there you will find plenty of proof what we eat is effecting our health including our children.  Also there is great source of information available all over the net if you do a search.  Even maybe contact a herblist they have great resources on information regarding the effects of bad foods on our health.  I dont know if any of this will help you but try emailing the websites for more information and im sure they will bend over backwards in trying to help you.

warmest regards to all...KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK JAMIE!!!!

Likes (0)

#543 Tue 11 Oct 11 11:35pm

italianinlondon

Member since Tue 11 Oct 11

I agree with what Jamie said about the elections and how disappointed he is about what kind of food they are still giving to children.
I just moved back to England and notised that nothing has changed in the last 10 years. It's sad to see that 25 year old girls still do the washing up without rinsing the soap away from their pans, plates or glasses! 10 years ago my English flatmate, who was on her early 30s, would do the same.
They have pets but they don't clean their home at all.
Not to mention the food these girls eat every single day: canned food, frozen and precooked food, fast food with a lot of fried stuff in it. No fresh fruit AT ALL. No fresh vegetables at all! They don't cook anything. Anything. They just warm up what's in their cans or frozen boxes. And if you hear them speaking, they just say that they have no idea what that food contains. I think they don't even know the difference between saturate and unsaturated fats or preservatives and added sugar. They don't know anything, but they have  normal lives: they go to work everyday, go to gym, see their boyfriends and watch lots of TV. So I wonder: why nobody on TV tells you how to do your washing or what you should really eat. Do we really do a new reality show just to educate people to the basics of nutrition and hygiene? How can you teach people how to cook, if they don't know how to do the washing up in the first place?
In Italy we grow up watching our moms cleaning our home like a royal palace and cook any kind of meal. Real cooking I mean. And it's not an economic issue: even the most modest family in Italy has a squicky clean home and knows how to cook.
What's been going on in England so far? Or what's not been going on?

Last edited by italianinlondon (Tue 11 Oct 11 11:38pm)

Likes (0)

#544 Fri 28 Oct 11 4:05pm

DavidHow

Member since Fri 28 Oct 11

Great to have the recipes from the Guardian teacher Network to use at School.
Wouldn't it be great if Jamie could come up with 10 key cookery skills for primary age children to master before they left at Y6.
It could be used by schools like an Award Scheme - something for children to strive towards (Gold, Silver, Bronze that kind of thing). It could engage thousands of children in cooking, teach basic skills for life, engage parents and carers and local eating places.
if there is anything like this around I would like to know. If not whu can't we get together and do something!

Likes (0)

#545 Tue 01 Nov 11 10:35pm

AMS376

Member since Tue 01 Nov 11

Hi everyone,
I am a Alyssa and am a college freshman from UK. I know everyone is always aware of how bad the food is in college but it seems like nothing is ever done about. The only healthy choice offered in the main dining area at my school is some sort of salad which can get old, very quickly. What I find that is even worse is these unhealthy options are all that we have. Most of us do not have the money to spend going out to eat and even then it can be hard to find a place that is healthy but worst of all is we cannot cook our own meals. Some colleges don't even allow microwaves and with a microwave or no microwave it is near impossible to make a homemade meal. Has anyone ever heard of anyone trying to change how colleges serve food?

Likes (0)

#546 Tue 01 Nov 11 11:36pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Alyssa, that sounds terrible!
Have you a student union or something? Surely there would be other people trying to do something?

Likes (0)

#547 Wed 02 Nov 11 12:17am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

AMS376 wrote:

Hi everyone,
I am a Alyssa and am a college freshman from UK. I know everyone is always aware of how bad the food is in college but it seems like nothing is ever done about. The only healthy choice offered in the main dining area at my school is some sort of salad which can get old, very quickly. What I find that is even worse is these unhealthy options are all that we have. Most of us do not have the money to spend going out to eat and even then it can be hard to find a place that is healthy but worst of all is we cannot cook our own meals. Some colleges don't even allow microwaves and with a microwave or no microwave it is near impossible to make a homemade meal. Has anyone ever heard of anyone trying to change how colleges serve food?

Jamie was into schools, possibly not colleges, if he could have given lessons to the parents before the kids started school he would have done so...(he should also try too to educate future parents while they go to pre-birth lessons)....

now lets get back to the initial... college, uni..... hospital food is cr*p.
My son spent 2 1/2 yrs in Colchester uni, the food was fun to him in the beginning, notably the breakfast, and once he had eaten that he couldn't eat for the rest of the day....and it was very expensive. Lunch even more so.

He quickly learnt that heavy breakfasts weren't for him so he started making a boxed lunch every morning after a light breakfast of toasts and jams, peanut butter....

His boxed lunches were more often 'club sandwichs'...sometimes salad and cheese with tomato...but he prefered to eat lightly....when he saw his collegues slumbering in class after a heavy breakfast/brunch he more than often got really annoyed.

I have just showed him this post, he mentioned chips covered with cheese, hamburgers soaked in fat and muffins and greasy doughnuts for desert.

I am so happy that he has returned home.

Last edited by kye in france (Wed 02 Nov 11 12:31am)

Likes (0)

#548 Thu 03 Nov 11 9:08pm

LTCoats

Member since Thu 03 Nov 11

I've been a Food Revolution supporter for well over 18 months. I have some concerns though. My main concern comes from the fact that I know most kids hate the taste of regular milk & will only have it with cereal, & some kids can't even drink it. Even though flavored milk should not be an everyday food item, many kids drink it simply because it's more palatable. Has anyone said what should be made available to drink other than regular milk or water? & concerning water, when I was in school in the '80s, we didn't even get that. If you wanted water, you drank it from a water fountain.

My other concern is that many are calling for an outright ban on flavored milk. I personally don't think that's very fair. When I was in school, it was a once a month special treat, & I personally think that's the way it should be.

Likes (0)

#549 Mon 07 Nov 11 4:58pm

mitch161

Member since Mon 07 Nov 11

to LTCoats.

when milk is 50p for a pint, orange juice is a cheaper alternative at 70p for a litre (2pints) retail price.

also what i have seen happen is using PROPER cocoa powders or fresh strawberrys.. and not a spoon of sugar in sight. to flavour milk

throwing some milk and proper ingrediants into a electric mixer takes less then 20 seconds.

letting the electric mixer do its job for a couple minutes leaves the kitchen staff's hands free to do other things and then come back to the mixer ready to pour the flavoured milk into a gallon tankard to place on school lunchroom tables or into individual glasses.

Last edited by mitch161 (Wed 09 Nov 11 6:45pm)

Likes (0)

#550 Thu 19 Jan 12 7:28pm

Jo Food Rev

From Jamie's Office
Member since Mon 21 Nov 11

The Food Revolution has just launched an amazing new browser app which allows you to fundraise for free!

You can help us fight the obesity epidemic with our new 100% free fundraising app! Every time you shop you will be making a difference, raising dollars for the Food Revolution at no extra cost!

www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/givingassistant 

Once installed, our free Giving Assistant automatically and effortlessly generates money for Jamieís Food Revolution. Every time you make a purchase with our online partners - including Gap.com, Hotels.com, Bestbuy.com - a portion of the proceeds is donated to the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation.

Plus there's an amazing prize to be won! To celebrate the launch of our new app, we're giving away a foodie trip for two to London, including a cooking class at Recipease, Jamie's cooking school, dinner at Jamie's Top London restaurants - Barbecoa, Fifteen, Jamie's Italian and Union Jacks - plus a signed recipe book from Jamie Oliver. Invite your friends to download the browser app, and for every successful recruit, you win 100 more entries. Shop online and earn even more entries.

Download the giving assistant now to start fundraising for free and help support the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation!

www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/givingassistant

Likes (0)