Jamie Oliver

forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 05 Nov 11 6:56pm

lainey54

Member since Sat 05 Nov 11

Gas v induction hob

Putting in a new kitchen and at the moment I have a gas hob. I am being persuaded to change to a Siemens induction hob not ceramic, (very nice) but I have reservations having never used one. I have read that they are noisy and not that great for stir fries,and while I was in the showroom the salesman put on a Bosch hob and it was indeed noisy.
I love to cook and entertain frequently which is why I don't want to make a costly mistake.  Most chefs use gas. help

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 02 Dec 11 9:57am

anna_fran

Member since Fri 02 Dec 11

Re: Gas v induction hob

We had our kitchen replaced earlier this year and replaced our gas hob with induction.I have to say I love it.  I've had gas hobs for years (decades in fact) but I think induction beats it hands down.  At high heats it boils water faster than the kettle and at low heats I can get a true simmer, something I was never able to do on my gas hob, even on the smallest ring.  I think  the new induction hobs beat gas hobs hands down for controllability.

Induction hobs are fantastically easy to clean.  Mine only has 1 control knob, which is removable, leaving a completely flat surface to wipe down (although you may may need something like "hob brite" if you get stains.

Many commentators claim that you need 'special' pans for induction hobs.  This is misleading.  You need a specific but perfectly ordinary pans, which you well may already have.  They have to be magnetic so almost any pan with steel/iron content is suitable.  Pans which are suitable are labelled so, for the ones you have at home just test with a magnet.

As for noise I think this may vary from model to model/make to make.  I can honestly say that I didn't notice any noise for weeks.  I only noticed a very low humming/buzzing noise one day when I was alone in the house and there was no other noise from TVs/radios.  Frankly, my kettle is noisier as is the extractor fan.

HTH smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 07 Dec 11 9:00am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

What is more cheaper in your country gas or electric??.Because i would look at the speding over the years,do you have pots and pans for it ?. whistle  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 18 Mar 13 6:04pm

Member since Mon 18 Mar 13

It depends how you use your hob - if you are tossing ingredients about jamie style then its going to be loud with ceramic and induction hobs as the biggest problem with electric hobs is that you have to keep the pan in constant contact with the hob surface so you'll find yourself banging and bashing the surface to keep the heat coming - whereas you can hold a wok above the gas hob without loosing heat and without the risk of breaking the hob

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 19 Mar 13 8:44am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

wrote:

It depends how you use your hob - if you are tossing ingredients about jamie style then its going to be loud with ceramic and induction hobs as the biggest problem with electric hobs is that you have to keep the pan in constant contact with the hob surface so you'll find yourself banging and bashing the surface to keep the heat coming - whereas you can hold a wok above the gas hob without loosing heat and without the risk of breaking the hob

How come This member has no name ?????

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 19 Mar 13 9:13am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Mr/s Member?

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 19 Mar 13 7:35pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I'm not sure I like referring to someone as "Mr's Member", it doesn't sound quite polite.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 20 Mar 13 10:46am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

LOL, it's all we had to go on.  Member as in registered part of?

Likes (0)