forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 23 Dec 07 11:16am

blarny3

Member since Sun 23 Dec 07

How do I cook a whole duck

I think I know but some recipes say prick skin others say not, and no one seems to have a clear idea about how to make skin crispy.

Anybody?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 23 Dec 07 1:26pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Re: How do I cook a whole duck

Hi blarny2 -

Check Delia's method, usually reliable!!

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cris … 70,RC.html

Merry Christmas and Happy Cooking!!

yummy

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 23 Dec 07 3:01pm

blarny3

Member since Sun 23 Dec 07

Fantastic recipe...looks gorgeous ..I love dehlia too..I am so excited for christmas..cooking for 10 this year

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 24 Dec 07 3:39am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Hints and Tips on Roasting Duck

When roasting a duck, place on a rack in a baking tray so the fat can drain freely.

Ensure the vent end of the duck is always open. This allows the heat to cook the meat from the inside as well as the outside.

Never stuff the cavity of a whole duck. This prevents hot air entering the duck cavity.

A few herbs, zest of an orange or some star anise placed inside the cavity will give a good aroma and add to the flavour when cooking.

For a crispier skin, wipe the uncooked duck dry with kitchen paper and sprinkle a little salt on the skin.

Always roast a duck in a hot oven approx 190 deg celcius.

Duck reheats really well, so why not cook it the day before, joint it when it's cold and reheat in a hot oven or under the grill for a duck dinner with ease!

If you reheat the duck and want the skin to be crispier, dab the skin with kitchen paper and place under a hot grill or in the oven.

Duck, as with all meats and poultry should rest after cooking to allow the juices to settle. It also makes the meat easier to handle.

Always serve the sauce on the plate and the duck on top. Putting sauce on the crispy skin will make the skin go soft.

For a sweet sauce, add a couple of teaspoons of cranberry sauce.

When making sauce, instead of using water, use orange juice for a quick traditional Duck a l'Orange.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 07 Apr 08 3:36pm

Gianfranco

Member since Mon 07 Apr 08

blarny3 wrote:

I think I know but some recipes say prick skin others say not, and no one seems to have a clear idea about how to make skin crispy.

Anybody?

Barbecued Orange duck....
Funny....
wink

http://forum.bbq4all.it/viewtopic.php?p=21726#p21726

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 22 Dec 11 1:15pm

Andycromer

Member since Thu 22 Dec 11

Firstly what type recipe if it's Chinise type for pancakes it needs to be well cooked. If its roast don,t over cook. The meat needs to be pink. To answer your question I find its best to take the duck out of the fridge several hours before cooking. I do prick the skin to allow the fat to escape freely. I also coat the skin in either soy sauce and honey and a little salt or a little old English dark marmalade. This gives a slight orange flavour as I do not like duck to be over powered with a sweet orange flavour. When roasting I find it's best to turn the heat up high at the end of the cooking to obtain a crispy skin which I love. Don,t over cook remembering it will continue to cook after removal from the oven.

Good luck all the best

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 22 Dec 11 3:21pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Andycromer wrote:

Firstly what type recipe if it's Chinise type for pancakes it needs to be well cooked. If its roast don,t over cook. The meat needs to be pink. To answer your question I find its best to take the duck out of the fridge several hours before cooking. I do prick the skin to allow the fat to escape freely. I also coat the skin in either soy sauce and honey and a little salt or a little old English dark marmalade. This gives a slight orange flavour as I do not like duck to be over powered with a sweet orange flavour. When roasting I find it's best to turn the heat up high at the end of the cooking to obtain a crispy skin which I love. Don,t over cook remembering it will continue to cook after removal from the oven.

Good luck all the best

As the OP was in 2007, I have a feeling the duck may well be crispy enough by now.......  whistle  big_smile

Edit...OOPs Manners..welcome to the JO forums btw Andy..

Last edited by wine~o (Thu 22 Dec 11 3:23pm)

Likes (0)