Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 27 Dec 11 6:39pm

Ms Kira

Occupation freelancer
From Greenville, SC
Member since Mon 07 Jul 08

Why does Jamie include MILK in the Food Revolution?

I really want to know Jamie's stance on milk consumption, considering there are many, many resources to back up the fact that we absolutely DO NOT need milk after we are weaned.

Check this out:

~     ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~     ~

If you're like most people, you've been raised on cow's milk and probably continue to think that it's a healthy food that's inexpensive, tasty, rich in vitamins and minerals, and contains muscle-building protein. It is, simply, "nature's perfect food." If only this were true. But, it's not. Rather, much of the cow's "milk" that's produced today isn't really milk at all, but is a toxic soup of harmful chemicals that will destroy your health.

rBGH is injected into cows in order to elevate IGF-1 levels and increase milk production. Human and bovine IGF-1 is chemically identical,2 and this is important to note because when IGF-1 levels are elevated in injected cows, IGF-1 is secreted into the milk you drink. This IGF-1 also survives the pasteurization process.3 This means: your IGF-1 levels become elevated when you drink milk from a cow that's been injected with rBGH, and elevated IGF-1 levels in adults is linked to many cancers and tumors.  Even children are not immune from the health effects of elevated IGF-1 levels, which can include childhood bone cancer, juvenile onset (Type I) diabetes (by destroying insulin-producing pancreatic cells), allergic reactions, allergy, ear and tonsillar infections, bedwetting, asthma, and intestinal bleeding.

So, while the injection of cows with hormones and antibiotics is good news for major pharmaceutical companies and dairy farmers, the presence of these contaminants in your food supply is detrimental to your health.

Usually, the dairy industry and the medical profession recommend increasing milk intake to ensure adequate calcium intake. Calcium intake is critical for the prevention of degenerative bone diseases like osteoporosis and its related health effects. But is dairy cow milk a good source of useable calcium?

Consider The Following:

Bovine milk causes sickness in the majority of the world's population.

Epidemiological data show that calcium deficiency and osteoporosis rates are lower in non-milk consuming countries than in Westernized and industrialized milk-consuming nations.

Human consumption of cow's milk is a recent development in evolution. Pre-humans and human ancestors did not drink cow's milk. Early fossil evidence shows no signs of osteoporosis.

Milk is a source of calcium, but not the best source of absorbable calcium - other foods are better.

As a source of protein, liquid milk is less than ideal - other foods are better.

The majority of the world's population does not drink cow's milk.

This is just one of thousands of articles and reports that document exactly HOW BAD milk is for you. Basically, we are all mammals who nurse off our mothers until we get teeth. Then, we don't need milk any longer. We build bone mass by exercising between the ages of 14 and 18, and keep our bone mass by continuing to exercise and avoiding things that leech calcium. I'm weaned. I'd think school children are, too.

THE MAJORITY OF THE WORLD HAS BEEN WEANED SUCCESSFULLY AND DOES NOT HAVE OSTEOPOROSIS! They also do not have American Dairy Association advertising!

Please Jamie, take milk OUT of the food revolution!  crossed

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Dec 11 7:01pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Why does Jamie include MILK in the Food Revolution?

........Heavens above, how on earth have I managed to live to such a venerable age drinking all that milk...................I must be on borrowed time............or is English milk so much better than its American counterpart????

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 27 Dec 11 8:40pm

Sabs

Forum champ
Member since Mon 09 Aug 04

43 almost and still very much alive after drinking loads and loads of rivers of milk....
But minnie,everyone knows that belgian and dutch milk is so much better the english equivalent...;-) Joking....
And please excuse me : going to make myself a decaf latte with 200 mil of full milk...I like to live dangerously...

Last edited by Sabs (Tue 27 Dec 11 8:47pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 27 Dec 11 8:53pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Hey babe.......that's really living on the edge!

...........& what's this about Belgian milk better than ours???
You will be telling me next your beer's better than ours too..........Ha!  lol

Hope you had a grand Christmas, pet!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 27 Dec 11 9:04pm

Sabs

Forum champ
Member since Mon 09 Aug 04

hahaha! Well I do think England has some superb beers! Last week an english friend gave us some lovely beers as a gift. Nice IPA...and three homemade chutneys , so delicious.
beers were :
http://brodiesbeers.co.uk/
http://www.brewdog.com/
http://thekernelbrewery.com/

Christmas in this household is always a low-key affair but a nice one. smile

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 27 Dec 11 9:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I must be risking things as well as I drink milk in my tea !

I always thought that milk was a good sorce of calcium , nessersary for health of bones, teeth , something to do with nerve transmission and impulses and various other things.

OK so the majority of the world might not suffer from osteoperosis , but many people do and I can tell you that it can be uite debilitating fr some people. I have a friend who has a crumbled area in her spine due to this horible condition , she is never free from pain and she has grea difficult just getting out of bed each day.

Ms Kira , unless I am mistaken , the problem that Mr Oliver has with milk is the flavoured milk shakes that contain as much as 6 teaspoons of sugar in a carton .

In my opinon , milk is good and I will continue to live life on the edge and consume milk.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 28 Dec 11 10:34am)

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 27 Dec 11 10:18pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Ehh>>> can't be ars3d to read all the above..maybe all that milk I've been drinking has limited my concentration levels...or maybe it's the Cider/Wine... think

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 27 Dec 11 11:17pm

moramora

Member since Mon 26 Dec 11

In Italy we know for years that milk is full of antibiotics and thus lowers our immune system. My sister, who was a major consumer of milk, and had very often cold problems, stopped drinking milk and is ok since then.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 27 Dec 11 11:53pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I drink milk every day...sometimes 2 or 3 glasses of it.....I'm almost 44 and healthy....hmm.

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 28 Dec 11 4:07am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I have some problems with the way milk is processed but not with drinking milk per se.. There definetly are differences between countries though.. 

Milking hormones are strictly illegal in Canada, and in many other countries I suspect. This is not the case in the USA though. 
The use of anti-botics in milking herds in Canada are very specifically regulated .  If an animal becomes sick they are quarantined for the duration , and if anti-botics are used they cannot rejoin the milking herd til there is no antibotics detected in their milk.

The use of antibotics and hormones is strictly monitored  in milking herds in Canada.    Every load of milk sent from a dairy farm to a dairy  is tested for these things and if it is  found the entire load is destroyed.. This means that Canadian dairy farmers are very stringent about following the regulations as it is very costly to make a mistake , nevermind try to cheat .

As to the point about pre-humans and ancestor humans not developing osteoporosis. Anyone stopping to think about this for a moment can see the fallacy of this argument.  How many pre-hominids or early hominids lived past 20 years old  to become fossils??

This doesn't mean I am happy with the milk I buy at the market.
Having  been able to drink whole raw milk in the past I know just how different the product most people call milk is from the actual product that comes straight from the source.

Enforced pasturization of all milk  for sale is something I have a problem with.  I am not advocating  a ban on it , simply that it is possible to safely provide unpasturized milk to those who want it .  There are dairies running in many countries that have been able to do this succesfully .

Homogenization is another issue I have..The practice is a monymaker for most dairies though.

Before homogenization,  dairies would deliever milk and people would let the fat float to the top and then they would skim most of the cream off to use for coffee and baking and drink the mostly fat free milk beneath.

then they came up with homogenization and if you wanted cream you needed to buy it separately. Also they started skiming milk to different % of MF. and selling it that way.  Now most dairies 100% skim  the milk that is shipped in.  They then add back the milk fat to  exact %'s  and then homogenize.

As a general rule I hate to buy  any food product  that has been overly processed. The way modern daires process milk makes it a very different thing from what comes out of a cow.

There is some definite questions that need answering in a possible link between homogenization and allergies in my mind.   The homogenization proccess bascially tears apart the milk fat  globules to such small particles they can't clump together again.  These   particles are  small enough to pass through the gut wall and in the body it is plausible that the immune system could view them as a threat causing immune system allergy reactions in some people.

Last edited by Ashen (Wed 28 Dec 11 4:10am)

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)