Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 03 Jan 12 7:36am

AmateurStyles

Member since Tue 03 Jan 12

Need your Help Mr. O - Lactose Free Custard, can it be done?

Jamie, I'm new to being lactose intolerant.

One of my favourite things in the world was pudding and custard.

I say "was" because now I can't have custard! I've tried making custard from scratch using Lactose free milk and cream, but it comes out looking all curdled and ich. Can you help me out?

I don't want 'Dairy Free' - that's just wrong. I just want to remove the lactose from the picture.

I swear I have nearly every book you've written and I watch your show heaps - number one fan and all the usual claims.

ta,
Simon.

Last edited by AmateurStyles (Tue 03 Jan 12 7:50am)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 03 Jan 12 11:53am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Re: Need your Help Mr. O - Lactose Free Custard, can it be done?

Hi Simon, and welcome to the Forums.  It is most definitely possible to make lactose free custard - I do fairly frequently (I also make lactose free yoghurt, creme fraiche and butter at home, too!).  You don't get quite the same consistency, and it takes a little longer at a slightly lower temperature, but it is possible.  It seems to me that you are over-cooking the custard mix if it is curdling on you.

This is a recipe that I've used in the past:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/realp … tard_65614

Hope that helps!

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 12 May 13 10:21am

Sparklerae

Member since Sun 12 May 13

Do you have recipes for dairy free butter/creme fraiche etc? Please? Newish to this! Thanks x

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 13 May 13 9:16am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

If you want to make lactose (NOT dairy) free creme fraiche, yoghurt and butter, the first thing you need is a yoghurt maker (NOT the Easi-Yo style, just a simple temperature controlled one).  Then for butter you put 4 tbspns regular buttermilk into the container, followed by 900ml double cream, switch on and leave for a minimum of 36 hours.  That is then lactose-free creme fraiche.  Once you've cooled it in the fridge for a few hours, you can put it in a food processor and whizz it up for 2 - 3 minutes until it becomes butter.  Strain, wash, and form into pats.  It freezes well too.

Likes (2)

#5 Thu 16 May 13 5:19am

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Hi Olivia!
Thank you for sharing this technique. One quick question, isn't the double cream a dairy product with lactose? What is the difference between dairy free and lactose free? Pardon my ignorance but please share your views.

Thanks.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 16 May 13 8:58am

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland

Hi Moeabdullah

Lactose is a form of sugar that is contained in dairy products, and which causes problems for lots of people.  The good news is that if you ferment your dairy (i.e. making yoghurt or creme fraiche), the bacteria causing the fermentation "eat" the lactose to survive, and if you leave a dairy product to ferment for long enough, then the bacteria will consume all of the lactose, leaving it safe to eat if you are lactose intolerant.  However, if you are allergic to the protein (called casein) in dairy, then this process isn't for you and you should never, under any circumstances, eat any foods containing dairy.

Hope that helps!

Likes (2)

#7 Thu 16 May 13 12:40pm

moeabdullah

From Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Member since Wed 15 May 13

Thanks Olivia!
Your explanation is perfectly understood. You sound like a nutritionist or food engineer. Anyways, it is people like you who makes this forum amazing and the world a better place.
Thanks again.
Moe

Likes (0)