forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sun 08 Jan 12 2:32am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Have you bought or been given a new cookery book recently ?

I bought my son a crock pot cook book and a crock pot for christmas. I bought myself back in november "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter". It's hard working in a bookstore, I look at books all day and could easily spend my entire paycheck on books. The fun part is helping people find the right cookbook. I've sold many of JO's books when people come in looking for good recipes that aren't too complicated. We can also check out books like a library, so if I see a cookbook I want to try a recipe out of. I can bring it home, cook the meal and bring back the book. The tricky part is not spilling anything on the book.

Likes (0)

#12 Sun 08 Jan 12 5:41am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

I bought myself 3 cookbooks for Christmas. Jamie's Great Britain, Nigel Slater's Tender Vol 1 and River Cottage Veg everyday. They are all fantastic and have made several things from Veg everyday.

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 08 Jan 12 9:20am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

what did you think of the Nigel Slater book SherylS , I dnt have any of his books but I see hime on the tely.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 08 Jan 12 10:17am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

I have been so tempted to buy more cookbooks. I'm hoping to get some more J/O ones soon.

@Cohphanta  lol I can always tell which are my most tried recipes by the state of the page the recipe is on!

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 08 Jan 12 4:17pm

karenlesley

Occupation Retired
From Blandford Forum, Dorset
Member since Sun 26 Sep 10

smile Hi Mummza, I have a load of T.V. cooks cookery books given to me by the family, but the ones I prefer (and buy for myself) are the ones that are put together and published by groups; - the local school, bowling club, charity group. These are recipes that are likely to be 'lost' as they are mostly family recipes and handed down by word of mouth. They are also, usualy, local to an area - so if I have been abroad i can bring to mind some of the food I have tasted, just by reading them.
Karen big_smile

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 08 Jan 12 4:23pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I may select Jamie's 30-minute Meals as my first Kindle buy.  Oops, just found out we don't have Kindle Fire, so no photos on ours which is just the reader.  I guess it's sad not to have the photos in a cookbook . . .

Likes (0)

#17 Sun 08 Jan 12 5:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

One day i may count our cook books, not one is without images.

I noticed that O/H was really interested by the following in our favorite book shop, so i returned to buy it for his Christmas present. Not sure that Louis de Funes is known of outside of France. He was a great comic actor.

http://www.renaud-bray.com/Livres_Produ … 2353261109

Likes (0)

#18 Sun 08 Jan 12 5:50pm

RebeccaBourhill

Occupation Student wanna be chef
From Rustenberg, South Africa
Member since Mon 30 Aug 10

I was given the Masterchef Australia cook book 2 months ago when I went to the food and wine show to meet Adam and it was not a very good experiance!!
Anyway they sent me a book FREE of charge!! Delivered to our house on a farm!!

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 08 Jan 12 8:27pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

MsPablo wrote:

I may select Jamie's 30-minute Meals as my first Kindle buy.  Oops, just found out we don't have Kindle Fire, so no photos on ours which is just the reader.  I guess it's sad not to have the photos in a cookbook . . .

I got a cook book on my Nook and I didn't like it. You either  have to adjust the print so small to have the ingredients and/or instructions on the same page that you can't easily read it OR you have to constantly switch between the pages. With a hard copy book it's usually all right there on the open pages or you have to do just a quick flip. My nook is a touch screen so if I want to switch to view the previous page or the next page, I'd have to either clean my hands (if i have food on them) or get my screen dirty. I found it to be a hassle.  Even though the price is really cheap, it's to me isn't much of a bargain if I won't use it.  The only good thing I can think of to have a cook book on an Ereader is it's portable and if you keep it on you and someone ask for a recipe you have it right there.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 08 Jan 12 9:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Those are good points Cohphanta.  Thanks.  I want this Kindle to be the end-all, just like I wanted computers to replace most paper, but we're not quite there yet, almost though.  I think my favorite advance in this area is digital photography.  It's so great capturing, adjusting with software, storing digitally, it's just a wonderful thing.  Oh the kids today just don't know . . .  tongue

Likes (0)