forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#251 Sat 04 Feb 12 8:54pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Vegetables and fruits that we have forgotten about....

Not forgotten, but maybe under-used are persimmons.  In Japan, they sell them partially dried and they are delicious that way.  In Sintra, Portugal, a farmer near out hotel supplied them for the breakfast table - an amazing variety I have never seen elsewhere - huge and deep rose-red.  Yes, they have rose red ones elsewhere in Portugal, but these were like Queens of the rose-red types.  I was the only one having them each time and I asked the waiter if I should divide that one big fruit so others could try it, he said no one else is here, it's all for you.  I didn't mind.

eta:  I hope I am not repeating myself!  Probably am . . . wouldn't be the first time.  Nevermind if so.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 04 Feb 12 8:58pm)

Likes (0)

#252 Sat 04 Feb 12 9:56pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Persimmons are so expensive here....when you can find them that is.
Waitrose have them, but I hardly ever see them elsewhere.............why?.............?

Likes (0)

#253 Sat 04 Feb 12 10:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

People used to grow them around here, don't know if that is a thing of the past, probably.  The shops only have them in season for a short time and they are very expensive and often not in great shape as they have been transported or no one buys because of the price and they get over-ripe.  I would love to see the semi-dried ones here.  I remember having them in very early spring in Japan - April.

Likes (0)

#254 Sat 04 Feb 12 11:10pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Persimmons i looked up and saw our name they are called Kaki, i often see them in our fruit and veg supermarket but have never tried them. What is the taste?

Likes (0)

#255 Sat 04 Feb 12 11:13pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

A blend of melon and nectarine - sort of.  The dried ones are a bit more intense in flavor and more sweet and chewy, as you would expect.

Likes (0)

#256 Sat 04 Feb 12 11:17pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

So eaten as a fruit, i would like to try one sliced in a salad.

Likes (0)

#257 Sat 04 Feb 12 11:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Just eat it alone.  Have your salad on the side.  It's delicate, so no vinaigrette or other flavors are going to add to the experience.  I tried the blended (pureeed) persimmon fruit as a beverage in Japan and found it horribly, cloyingly sweet.

Likes (0)

#258 Sun 05 Feb 12 1:47pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

every courtyard had a kaki tree here, you could see them in early autumn like Xmas tree balls on the leaveless trees. Before the forst comes they are cropped and kept somewhere outside, you take one or two inside to become ripe, I remember them on  wooden frame above the open fire in my nonna's house as a child. It's a neighbor now who gives us some in autumn or my daughter's inlaws, who have a cultivar called applekaki, which is much more firm than the common ones.
When they are ripe outside they make a terrible mess falling on the ground, the old people do not dare climbing the tree to crop them, and the young either do not like them or buy them at the supermarket in a sad enveloped black tray, poor cachi so proud and shiny on their trees, rich in vitamine too I think as all fruits in their season, my husband eats them almost with religion not even washing them, simply with a teaspoon as if it was an icecreammmmmmmmmmmmmm   big_smile

I'll keep some for you when you come yummy

Likes (0)

#259 Sun 05 Feb 12 5:58pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Then, we will plan our trip for the kaki harvest time!

Likes (0)

#260 Sun 05 Feb 12 6:27pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

s dai thumbsup  big_smile  big_smile

Likes (0)