forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 16 Feb 12 10:20am

roowilliams

Member since Thu 16 Feb 12

Looking for some insight - dining tables/space for dining

Hi there!
My name's Andrew, I am a Product Design student at Central Saint Martins, London. I am currently in my third year and am working on my final project - it is worth 50% of my entire degree!!

I have a client brief for John Lewis: Western homes are getting smaller and the UK in particular has the smallest homes; a lot of new builds don't have a dining room. I have been asked to design a table for small spaces that allows the user to create a pop-up dining experience. John Lewis plan to manufacture and launch viable solutions in 2013 - so a very exciting project!

We start projects by collecting as much research using as many different methods as possible. I am planning on going to speak to my target audience, face to face, but in the meantime have set up a short survey and would be SO grateful if any of you would be happy to contribute?

If so please visit my site www.roowilliams.com/dining-survey/ to fill it in.

If anyone has any other recommendations for places to post this, as to collect more responses, then please feel free to share. Also any comments on the survey or anything you think might be helpful for me, please just post away here big_smile

Best wishes

- Roo (Andrew)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 16 Feb 12 10:35am

roowilliams

Re: Looking for some insight - dining tables/space for dining

I am also using the search tool, there's some really helpful nuggets of information on this forum smile

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 16 Feb 12 10:38am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

You could try the delia smith message boards too.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 16 Feb 12 11:05am

roowilliams

Thank you Rabbit!

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 16 Feb 12 1:03pm

roowilliams

Thank you to those who have been answering my survey too - very helpful smile I'll report back further on through the project with my insights and then eventual concepts should you be interested.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 16 Feb 12 1:38pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Try to think multi-purpose/multi-function - that would be important in a confined space. I remember as a kid that we had a kitchen cabinet which had a drop down table, when closed it was the doors, when up it was a table.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 17 Feb 12 9:51pm

roowilliams

Thank you falconcy - I have a few possible directions in mind but we have to evidence that our design agenda is insight-driven, in that we have done some research and discovered something that makes it obvious that the table should be designed in such a way. I have accessed a report on what people would like to see in their new kitchens and smart-storage was top- this makes a strong case for a multi-purpose solution in a home where the user might have an open plan kitchen/living area.

And thank you to all those that have answered, I would appreciate if people continued to take the survey as I really want to do well this year - I got my results back for my dissertation and self-directed project (which make up the first 50% of my degree) yesterday and I got a first for both, so fingers crossed on this project smile

Last edited by roowilliams (Fri 17 Feb 12 9:52pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 18 Feb 12 9:49am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

we used to have 'Hygena' kitchen in the early 70's , this used to have a stow-away table , there was a drop down panel where some of the draws would have been in the floor standing units , you dropped down the panel and just swizzled the table out then dropped down the table legs.
The table was narrow and not the most stable of things.
The one end of the table was crurved so that it was able to be moved back into the space easily on the swivel hinge.
This design did not last very long I think .

( yes it was a 70's orange kitchen as well !!)

Old fashioned 'drop down' table units I also remember well , but most people used these areas for a work top rather tha sitting and eating at.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 18 Feb 12 11:22am

roowilliams

Thank you for your reply Mummza. I have used some things you have said in other posts as good research actually - off the top of my head, what you said about kids eating around a table - at their nan's house!

I am finding that dining tables make a house into a home.
I found an interesting quote along the lines that someone aspired to have a big, solid, sturdy dining table surrounded by people doing homey things like drinking cups of tea, making things, eating good home-cooked food. It's like that piece of furniture represents all things homey. I guess there's something in the rituals that come with using a dining table - perhaps it marks a period of putting your roots down. After years of being a student or working and sharing with others, dealing with dodgy chipboard furniture from Ikea, buying a 'proper' table from John Lewis or Habitat becomes much more than what it seems. Going through the dining ritual of setting the place mats, laying cutlery out sort of affirms that now you are in a place where things can be done 'properly' and family values can be nurtured.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 18 Feb 12 4:03pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

It may be a good idea to include or ask in the survey;
how big the room/space is
Is the table expandable
how many people can you seat at the table
where do you put the extra chairs
Do you have dinner parties

and I guess are you willing to cough up 4000 GBP for a space saving dinning table with chairs. lol

Likes (0)