Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 01 Feb 12 8:46pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Advice needed

I would think that is the staff od he catering van are employed by the school then the school would get the profit as they are the schools employees, .
but it might be that the van just pays a percentage of the profits  to the school in order to be able to sell their.
The school govenors should be able to awnser that question.

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 02 Feb 12 1:12pm

Greggj

Member since Mon 23 Jan 12

Just to confirm, it's not a van, it's based inside school but point taken

Likes (0)

#23 Fri 17 Feb 12 2:08pm

Greggj

Member since Mon 23 Jan 12

Hi, just a quick update. I sent the following email about a week ago. I haven't received a response and am not sure whether I will. I thought I may be able to make a change. In fact, I can but it is just in my household. I'm still annoyed by this but it appears there is nothing we can do. Crazy thing is, the school is really good on most other aspects.....thanks for help.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my message and treating it seriously.

As you can imagine, the issue of a healthy diet in schools is naturally a hot topic with many parents. What I found disappointing is that when I talked to other parents about it I was told that because the sale of the foods in question represented such a healthy revenue stream the situation was not going to change. I truly believe that a balance needs to be found between raising needed revenue and looking after the dietary needs of our children. I had hoped that your reply would have echoed that view, sadly it did not.

Over the past year I have seen my own children put on weight, over and above what one would expect from growing kids. I don't believe that either of them could be described as overweight, but the extra pounds are there for all to see, and as they eat very healthily at home it gave me to pause to think of where their diet was diverting so dramatically from their normal diet. It was only after I visited the school during a mid-morning break and noticed the huge queue of children waiting to buy a ‘snack’ that the penny dropped. When I think about their mother's and my body shape when we were their age, I find it all the more worrying, as we were both on the skinny side.

Whilst there may be some food education and promotions in place at the school, when I asked what the queue was, I was told it was "the bacon roll & pizza queue".

My own children are now aware of my unhappiness of this and one of them recently said told me that she had stopped having the pizza and was now having the panini, as if this was somehow better. This same daughter had stopped having breakfast, claiming she wasn't hungry. Clearly, what she had been doing was waiting for her "pizza fix". At least we now know what's been happening, so we can try and stop it.

You are clearly an educated an sensible person, so, I don't believe that you can genuinely feel that giving children these options is in their best interest. The message our children are receiving is that bacon rolls, paninis and pizza are acceptable breakfast foods. I believe that they are nothing of the sort. When was the last time you ate pizza for breakfast?

So, I thank you for responding to me. I don't think I can change this policy, so, will just try and ensure that my own children avoid these foods.

Thanks again.

Likes (0)

#24 Fri 17 Feb 12 2:44pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Don't give up, I know that it seems pointless to go against the institution however if you're willing to invest some time and set out to be very annoying to them it may result in something.

In the meantime, can you have discussions with your kids about it?  Maybe show them some videos of Jamie's Revolution?  Get them believing that this stuff is not healthy on an every day basis?  I'm sure that what you serve at home is perfectly healthy, but maybe you can start a dialogue about nutrition beyond what is eaten at home.  Explain the difference between eating sensible nutritious food versus occasional treats?  Sometimes kids think that we tell them to never eat treats, when in fact they're better off having the opportunity to eat it occasionally. 

Skipping breakfast in order to get a "pizza fix" is completely unacceptable.  It sets her up for a day of bad choices, not to mention long term bad habits.  Also, can you monitor their money while at school?  Do kids need money to take to school with them?

Likes (0)