forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sun 18 Dec 11 10:11pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Re: Just got one.....

cookinlovebird that is awful, I hate rats they are so destructive. Hopefully they won't come back.

Likes (0)

#52 Thu 29 Dec 11 7:43pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working
From West Midlands United Kingdom
Member since Wed 05 Dec 07

No sign of any more rats at the moment ........so I will keep my fingers crossed they have well and truly moved on ......

will start digging over the plot in the New Year hopefully we will get a hard frost to help break up the soil.......in a silly little way I cant wait !!!! because once the ground is dug over we can make a start on next years seed sowing..Oh what fun we will have...

cookinlovebird  big_smile

Likes (0)

#53 Sun 19 Feb 12 12:30pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working

Weather has stopped play as so to say at the moment, the ground is sooooo hard due to the frost  so hopefully now I am also better we can start soon......went along to a jumble sale at a local church hall yesterday and we purchased a new outfit for Charlie our scarecrow, black trousers, cream shirt , a blazer and a flat cap.. I think he will look splendid when we dress him up ..ohh I nearly forgot we picked up an old pair of walking boots for him too, he'll be the best dressed scarecrow on the plot.....Hubby has his work cut out , our poly tunnel has took the worst of the weather, Hubby has bought some new plastic sheet to recover the whole thing and will have to reinforce the inside but once thats done we can start to dig over the plot and get sowing our seeds. We have already purchased our potatoes and onion sets so all we need is a dry few days and we can make a start.  I will keep you all updated

cookinlovebird  smile  crossed  crossed

Likes (0)

#54 Sun 19 Feb 12 1:40pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I have bought many organic and demeter-certified seeds for my orto as well as a package og greenmanure/sovescio seeds. I'm wondering where to sow this wheter in my orto or campo. I have dug almost all the orto beds even if hard as stone, to let them dissolve when thee temperature rises again crossed
I should prpare boxes with good soil to sow pepeprs, aubergines and and and, but I fear my compost is not ready yet hmm  think and I would not start my sowings in a foreign  big_smile  hmm soil   poets are often so integralisti help lol

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Sun 19 Feb 12 1:40pm)

Likes (0)

#55 Sun 08 Jul 12 5:39pm

cookinlovebird

Forum champ
Occupation working

Things not going so well this year with all this wet weather most of the seeds have washed out of the soil or have been ruined by all the rain. The only things growing are the WEEDS.....potatoes seem ok but I just hope they are not going to be water ones with no taste, cabbages doing ok but have not planted as many as last year. Some of the crops were killed off by frost over two nights so we have got alot to do to play catchup this year if the sun comes out and stays there I think we might still have a chance

cookinlovebird
crossed

Likes (0)

#56 Sun 08 Jul 12 6:16pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

ciaooooo  big_smile I cannot blame the weather but I'm very disoriented with my vegs this year, wanting to do my best I started most of them from seeds, then did not recognize what is what, gave many away, planted in orto or campo and now ...... that I would like to have radicchi and salads, I can count only on transplanted ones if I do not decide to make potatoes every day, or tomatoes, yes I could say tomatoes are doing well

ciao cookin it's nice to see you again

Likes (0)

#57 Sun 08 Jul 12 7:38pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

I was thinking about an allotment and I know where these gardens are about the town, but I wouldn´t want to drive there every day. My dream would be to have a flat with an attached ground that can be used as a garden. I´m keeping my eyes open!

Hope things will turn out fine, cookin!

Likes (0)