Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 18 Aug 07 4:33pm

azzy

Occupation Online Marketing
From Peterborough
Member since Mon 25 Dec 06

Growing cherry tomatoes in a tin!

Hi Guys

Seeing the cherry toms that Jamie was growing in a tin has really captured my other half's imagination - we fancy growing these along with some chillies on the windowsill in the kitchen.

I know how to grow the chillies from seed (thanks to the illustration that appears at the top of the website lol ) but with the cherry tomatoes, can these be grown from seed, or should we buy little seedlings? Also, would they need a support to be attached to (i.e. wooden chopstick)?

We want to put a veg patch in the garden but we are going to start with some herbs outside in pots and maybe a few smaller indoor things before progressing onto digging earth.

But any help on the above would be brilliant  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 19 Aug 07 2:16am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Re: Growing cherry tomatoes in a tin!

Seedlings are easier as you do not have the hassle from keeping mr slug and mr snail off them.

Also someone else has done the hard word of seed raising.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 22 Aug 07 12:09am

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

Azzy,  I grew cherry tomatoes in pots this year.  I definitely had to have a support to hold up the weight once it started producing tomatoes.  I just used a piece of bamboo.   smile

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 22 Aug 07 11:57am

welshlambcub

Member since Tue 21 Aug 07

hi azzy -

tomatoes are a doddle to grow and as jamie shows you will be greatly rewarded.

i am a bit dubious about growing them in a tin and having a bumper crop as jamie says but you would certainly get enough for a couple of salads!

if you are tight on space grow 'bush' varieties or 'tumbling' (they will be described as such on the packet / label) which can be grown in hanging baskets or pots. the added advantage with growing this way is you can move them to where the sun is in the garden, they dont  need staking, and wont take over your garden/patio. you can also grow them on a sunny window sill. 

i personally would grow tomatoes from seed. you can get loads of weird and wonderful varieties, like the ones jamie uses. check out your local garden centre as this time of year they sell seed packets off cheap - i have just bought 10 different types in seed packets for 50p per pack. you can also easily buy packets of seeds online.

if you sow a few of each type in small plastic pots indoors in february, by easter you will be able to plant them into pots / baskets. try sowing some basil seeds and planting these seedlings in the same pots / baskets.

to get a heavy crop of tomatoes use 'Tomatorite' or a similar plant food - this is high in potash and promotes fruiting. soak the pots every day with water in the summer as erractic watering severly affects all fruit and veg.
also try to place pots where they will get maximum sun as they will need this to ripen although this will be difficult if we have more summers like this.

i have moved to a house with a patio and this year made the mistake of growing regular type tomato vines in the ground - they have completely taken over so next year i will be growing bush and tumbling varieties in pots as i describe here.

by the way when buying packets of seeds try some courgettes and aubergines too - they are just as easy to grow in medium / large pots.

good luck!

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 28 Feb 12 4:33am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

This sounds maybe strange to all but im in a China and cant find any of the seeds for sail.Does anybody know how i can grow then from a tomato it self?.Like i put the tomato in the ground or the seeds of it.What do i need to do for it?.
i dont have a garden but i do have a glass wall in the kitchen to put them up:)
I made a window garden (window farm ) my self.

love to get to know if i can do that with more green stuff... thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 28 Feb 12 8:25am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Lemonman you can dry tomato seeds on some kitchen paper on your windowsill and then store them somewhere dry until it's time to plant them.
Place your seeds into some little seed raising pots until they sprout leaves and stems. Then translpant into the ground or receptacle of your choice  with good compost and soil. Make sure you put in your stake before planting out so as not to destroy the roots and keep well watered but not wet.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 28 Feb 12 10:00am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

My sister does this all the time, you will get better results, more seeds germinating if you ferment your seeds first before drying. 

google these three words      ===>    tomato seeds ferment

you will find many sites and even videos on the hows and whys of fermenting before drying and saving.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#8 Tue 28 Feb 12 11:09am

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Ashen wrote:

My sister does this all the time, you will get better results, more seeds germinating if you ferment your seeds first before drying. 

google these three words      ===>    tomato seeds ferment

you will find many sites and even videos on the hows and whys of fermenting before drying and saving.

Thanks Ashen I'll try this method. thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 28 Feb 12 2:46pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Do people have trouble germinating tomato seeds?  I've never had a single tomato seed fail to germinate and grow.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 28 Feb 12 11:22pm

Goldstars

Member since Tue 28 Feb 12

Where are the cherry tomatoes that grew in the tin as mentioned in the first post? 

I want some interesting/ easy/ fun vegetable growing to do so I can do it with my 4 year old.  The tin thing sounds like fun, but where do I get the starting point to do that?

..and thank you, I'd also like to try the basil growing and aubergine growing.  Would I do that all in one tin?  Is that what you mean?

Last edited by Goldstars (Tue 28 Feb 12 11:23pm)

Likes (0)