forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 25 Mar 12 5:06pm

katymac2000

Member since Thu 09 Jun 11

Growing basil

Hi All, I always have pots of basil in my kitchen, but does anyone know if it's possible to grow it outside in the ground in Ireland. Thanks help

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 25 Mar 12 5:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Growing basil

It seems to be possible but Basil loves the warmth: http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about2399.html

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 25 Mar 12 8:46pm

katymac2000

Thanks Kye, I might just keep it in the kitchen.  It's lovely and warm in Ireland today, but that probably won't last.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 25 Mar 12 10:41pm

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

I know very little about Ireland but I know that over here in Australia (central west NSW...3hrs nth/west of Sydney) I have to grow basil inside in the cooler months. Actually, I bought a new plant on Friday and I am keeping it inside. All we need is one cold night and the one in the garden will be gone!

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 25 Mar 12 11:03pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I plant it in the garden in the summer , I often just buy a few of those pots and plant then in a cluster , I have not had much sucess with seeds striaght int the garden as the snails just love eating the seedlings.
If you have fir cones , surround the plants with a ring of fir cones a couple of fir cones deep , ( thinest end pointing away from the plants ) Snails and slugs find it very difficult to climb over thr fircones !!

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 25 Mar 12 11:32pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Good idea mummz, i'll gather up the next fall of cones later this year.

Basil is that one little herb that loves bathing in the sun and having its roots humid, if you can do that it will be happy. If my last basil lasted all last summer its because it lived in those conditions.
It was planted in a high container made of white clay, the pores in the clay allow difficult plants to breath and be rid of an excess of water.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 26 Mar 12 12:47am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I live in Melbourne which is a Mediterranean climate (so basil is quite easy) but I have a little warm sheltered area where I can grow more tropical plants like lemon grass and curry leaf, and they are okay even over winter.
If you had such a warm sheltered place (but sunny too) you could try basil there?

I grow mine in pots, and only over Summer. Sweet basil grows into a good size by the end of summer, so the pots aren't small, but they could still be moved into a sunny spot, and then out of the cold, if I were in Ireland! wink 

Good luck!

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 26 Mar 12 6:29am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Basil prefers temps above 55 F. or 12.7 C.  Our last frost date is usually mid-April and even then, I would not leave basil out if the nights were in the 40's.

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 26 Mar 12 8:47pm

katymac2000

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try some of your tips thumbsup

Likes (0)