forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 26 Apr 12 12:43am

mark's kitchen

Occupation Head cook, Mark's Kitchen & Smokin' BBQ
From santa rosa,california,usa
Member since Mon 21 Jun 04

When does Basil taste like Basil?

I am almost embarresed to ask this of you. ( This is my 1st go round at growing herbs). I planted basil in a pot from a starter plant about 3 weeks ago. There are some nice looking leaves on the plant, so I decided to taste one. Hmmm, much to my suprise there was no real basil taste or smell. So I am wondering if the plant needs to mature before it developes that distinctive basil fragrence and taste. Or did I buy a lousy starter plant? sad

Mark

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 26 Apr 12 1:01am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: When does Basil taste like Basil?

Hmm, I am trying to think. I am sure my seedlings have always had a good basil smell even without tasting.
Certainly time in the sun intensifies the flavour.
If yours don't smell like basil then something may be wrong!
crossed  fingers crossed all is well!

Are they sweet basil?

PS When I saw the name of this thread it reminded me of a salad I made that contained basil leaves. My sister asked what was in the salad that tasted like licorice. I was thrown because I had never noticed the licorice notes in basil before! But it was the basil!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 26 Apr 12 5:11am

mark's kitchen

Joy Yam Daisy, when I purchased the basil at the herb garden it was just labeled as basil.
I may go ask them as I believe they started from seed. This is a farm, albeit small.
Mark

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 26 Apr 12 9:00am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

There's no issue of maturity, the very first true leaves of a basil plant should have a strong fragrance. Does the plant seem healthy, are the leaves bright-green and firm? How much sunlight are they getting?

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 26 Apr 12 8:15pm

mark's kitchen

TSR wrote:

There's no issue of maturity, the very first true leaves of a basil plant should have a strong fragrance. Does the plant seem healthy, are the leaves bright-green and firm? How much sunlight are they getting?

TSR, the plant looks very healthy. The leaves are bright and green. They are firm to the touch, do not look wilted etc. I will see if I can post a pic of the plant here. Oh, the plant is getting at least 6 hrs of sunlight. We have been having quite a few overcast days and some light rain but when the sun is out.... There are also many new leaves. Perhaps I will try another plant from a different supplyer.

Mark

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 26 Apr 12 10:58pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

mark's kitchen wrote:

TSR wrote:

TSR, the plant looks very healthy. The leaves are bright and green. They are firm to the touch, do not look wilted etc. I will see if I can post a pic of the plant here. Oh, the plant is getting at least 6 hrs of sunlight. We have been having quite a few overcast days and some light rain but when the sun is out.... There are also many new leaves. Perhaps I will try another plant from a different supplyer.

Mark

It really seems like a plant issue. If it was over-watered, the leaves would droop and have a yellow color, and 6 hours of sun, even if it was just east-facing, would be enough the get a strong taste and aroma.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 26 Apr 12 11:22pm

janiz

Forum champ
From Gulgong, Australia
Member since Sun 23 Nov 08

When I grow basil it alwals tastes and smell like basil , even when small so i think you may have a problem with your plant.

Re the licquorice flavour....I find once the plant begins to flower, if you let it flower and don't get rid of the buds quickly, there is a licquorice flavour that developes....maybe the flowering changes the flavour hmm

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 27 Apr 12 11:21pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

'When does Basil taste like Basil'...for me it has a peppery taste, i love the aroma when rubbed between my fingers smile

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 28 Apr 12 12:57am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Mm it does have a pepperiness, but it is the basiliness I love most! thumbsup  lol

Thanks Janiz my basil must be turning licoricey right now, it is all gone to flower

(spellcheck is confused by some of my words)

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 28 Apr 12 1:23am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The licorice and peppery notes come from the many different 'varieties' of basil.  Pick the variety that has flavor that you like.  They are all pretty tough in terms of how you grow them.

Likes (0)