Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 23 Mar 12 8:24pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Composting

Urine is a totally organic compost accelerator...........fabulous stuff & so much better than a lot of the chemical accelerators many people use to speed things up.

I have 5 x 750ltr bins on the go at any one time, & at the minute all of them are 'ready to go', I have 2 more being filled & they are quite empty just yet (not for long since the lawn mowing has now begun again). I have recently built 2 new raised 'salad beds' which will take quite some filling, but there will be enough left over to top up several other beds too.

I love this time of year...........lots & lots of compost!

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 23 Mar 12 11:43pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Mmm good point.
Since I live in a block of flats and the compost bins are out the front near the letterboxes, you might find a shadowy figure carefully carrying a bowl to the compost bins, in the quiet dark night time...

And again to the lemon tree in a pot. wink

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 08 Apr 12 4:42pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

rumi please stop posting that e-mail.

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 01 May 12 3:59am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

I think she did Kye! Whether by choice or not!

My compost bin is asking for some added straw and manure. I will try to do that today!

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 13 May 12 11:12pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

We have 2 compost bins in my little garden and next week the compost bin that has been resting now for around 15 mnths will be emptied and its contents spread over the garden , its now full of worms that wiil help the garden.
I might also use some of the compost in large pots that I will plant this years tomatoes in.

That means the compost bin that we have been using this past year will be put into a resting phase and we will start using the compost bin tha has just been emptied.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 14 May 12 4:45am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

Mine is similar Mummza, although my twirly think means I get my compost quicker!

My sister brought me some ash, from their slow combustion stove, to add to my compost. It was very pleased!

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 14 May 12 8:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I put the Ash from the BBQ into the compost bin.
I have not heard of a twirly .
Another thing that might speed up the vegetable matter being made into compost is your warmer climate , where I live is not the warmest place and it rains  a lot .
( most days for a short time and sometimes for days and days at a time which is why I recon Tom Jones used to sing about the 'Green Green Grass of Home ' !)

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 14 May 12 9:10am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

The warmth does help a lot Mummza! But my favourite is those cold winter days when I am using my twirly thing ( http://www.thehomecomposters.com/produc … st-aerator ) and steam is rising from the compost.
I don't know if it might be too much for your shoulder though Mummza. If I use it every couple of days the compost is light and easy, but it is hard slog otherwise.

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 14 May 12 10:14am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

No . I could not manage that at all these days Joy . Never mind . Thanks for showing me what it was .

Likes (0)

#30 Mon 14 May 12 1:13pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

We've not set up our compost bin yet, as our garden is still quite a building site (although we hope to get some grass seed sown soon).  But one thing I have wondered about is if a compost bin will attract rats, especially as we live next door to a farm. question

Likes (0)