forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#931 Fri 04 May 12 11:40am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: THE gluten-free thread

Tried http://www.momentumfoods.com.au/product … herbs.html today. Looks like it will be awful when you get it out of the pack but tastes great when cooked as a pizza. Had it with cheese and tomato paste with a bit of garlic and it was good. Bunnikins ate one all to herself. I think a good option if you are doing a pizza party and have to cater for one or two gluten free people. Less than 10 minutes to cook.

Likes (0)

#932 Fri 04 May 12 8:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I wonder what 'fructose friendly' means.

We tried Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix and liked it.  It makes two pizzas - about 15" square and was easy to mix and spread.  It's still not like regular pizza dough, but it didn't have any offensive qualities and was nicely crisp.

Likes (0)

#933 Sat 05 May 12 8:44am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Some people, from the little information I've gleaned, have an issue with high fructose foods. So I find a lot of my gluten free foods are also fructose friendly (I assume they mean low fructose). It doesn't matter to me but I often get thrown in with dairy free (there is logic in that) and vegan roll

I also like the old time bakery gluten free pizza bases, it's just a bit easier than making up a mix. Though the lauke bread mix can be used.

Last edited by The White Rabbit (Sat 05 May 12 8:44am)

Likes (0)

#934 Sat 05 May 12 10:17am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

TWR - have you ever used the Lauke bread mix to do pizza dough?
I love the bread that it makes and I've made an amazing damper with it and my mum made me piklets the other day for breakfast and they turned out superbly.

Had a bit of an embarrassing moment last night - had made a stunning looking apple pie for my girls night in dinner at a friends place and I must have misjudged the blind baking because the pastry was dry. AND I accidentally used SR flour.

Note to self: Never cook pastry when tired. It. Doesn't. Work!  hmm  hmm

Likes (0)

#935 Sat 05 May 12 12:33pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I have, there is a recipe on the side of the pack. I put it on one of the non-stick baking papers on a try because it's quite liquid. It's fine but I find the pre-made bases easier.
The lauke mix works well in my breville bread machine (has a gluten free setting).
How do you do the damper? I've got some new honey which would be great on damper.

Ah, tired baking, not a good idea.

Likes (0)

#936 Fri 15 Jun 12 11:06am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Cauliflower pizza crust thread http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 44&p=1

Could be a gluten free alternative

Likes (0)

#937 Fri 15 Jun 12 1:34pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

I sometimes buy Udi's pizza bases.  I like the convenience.  The mix makes almost double the quantity, which makes it about half the price and I kind of like having that large pizza for leftovers.

Likes (0)

#938 Sun 15 Jul 12 11:41am

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

Just to let you know I made Jamies Amazing Indian Dosa yesterday and the pancake worked out perfectly gluten free! I just replaced the plain flour with Doves Farm gluten and wheat free flour and I added a teaspoon of xanthan gum.

Really pleased now I have the perfect gluten free pancake recipe!

I've put a photo on my blog on this site.  smile

Likes (0)

#939 Wed 08 Aug 12 1:44pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Likes (0)

#940 Wed 12 Sep 12 10:21pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Glad to hear about the dosa recipe working out Gravy Queen.  I'm going to try it when I can get back into the kitchen.

MrP's made the Wegman's grocery store brand of gluten-free brownies twice now.  They come out with bands of chocolate throughout the brownies that give them a wonderful texture and taste.  We both liked them very much.  I believe the price was about $4.99 and fills an 8" X 8" pan.  You can cut them small, they are that rich and very nice with the addition of walnuts.

Likes (0)