Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 06 May 12 2:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Steven Gerrard and Jamie Oliver call on PM to fight obesity

UK now has the highest rate of obesity in Europe, with one in three children overweight or obese by the age of nine”

Professor Terence Stephenson Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
............................................................................................
I have copied this over from the BBC website as I know that some find it difficult to acess links........
.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17970169
............................................................................................
Steven Gerrard and Jamie Oliver call on PM to fight obesity

Steven Gerrard and Jamie Oliver Steven Gerrard and Jamie Oliver call for compulsory cooking lessons and food education in schools.

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver and England footballer Steven Gerrard are calling on the government to fight obesity through cookery teaching in schools.

They have joined figures in health and education as signatories to a letter to the prime minister suggesting changes be made to the national curriculum.

The letter says all pupils aged four to 14 would benefit from food education.

The Department for Education said it was already undertaking a review.

The letter says the "pride" of hosting the Olympic Games has been "tainted by the shameful fact that Britain is the fattest nation in Europe".

Professor David Haslam, chair of the National Obesity Forum, who also signed the letter, said: "The 2012 Olympics provide a unique opportunity to improve the nation's health and reduce the burden of obesity.

"However, sitting in front of the television, cheering our elite athletes on, while eating crisps and chocolates, drinking sugar-sweetened beverages is entirely counter-productive."

Teaching children through the National Curriculum how to prepare nutritious meals for themselves and their families would be an important step in tackling the rising obesity epidemic, the letter argues.

Without these skills, people are less likely to exercise meaningful control over their diet and food intake, and tend to rely on pre-prepared or takeaway foods, the campaigners add.

Oliver has previously campaigned for healthier school dinners while Gerrard is ambassador for the Get Up, Get Moving programme designed to increase awareness of physical activity and healthy eating.

Other signatories to the letter include Dr Clare Gerada, chair of the Royal College of General Practitioners, Christine Blower, general secretary of the National Union of Teachers, and Professor Terence Stephenson, president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.

Besides the call for compulsory cookery lessons, they note the need for more sporting role models to promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle to children.

They write: "As a group of charities and leading professionals in the field of medicine, food, sport, education and cookery, we firmly believe that the impact of obesity on our health is a very serious problem."
'Obesity crisis'

Dr Gerada said: "I have a number of patients who have never cooked a meal, ever, in their entire lives.

"The closest they may ever get to cooking a meal is putting something in the microwave.

"I think it is important that we put cookery back into schools so that at least children can see how much sugar goes into an average cake or how much fat goes into a pastry so they can make choices about what they're going to eat."

Prof Stephenson said: "The UK now has the highest rate of obesity in Europe, with one in three children overweight or obese by the age of nine....
England and Liverpool player Steven Gerrard. Steven Gerrard is ambassador for the Get Up, Get Moving programme.

"We need to act now but we will not win this fight alone. Parents, schools, healthcare professionals and the government must take a united approach in order to combat this obesity crisis."

The Department for Education said it was reviewing the National Curriculum and would make a further announcement in the future.

"We know that a healthy attitude towards food, developed early, is critical to the health, well-being and good educational attainment of young people," it said.

"That's why we've asked the School Food Trust to use their expertise and draw up early years nutritional guidance and why maintained schools must abide by the national minimum standards for nutrition."

It added that the Department of Health was committed to tackling obesity and major retailers and food manufacturers had backed the government's Responsibility Deal aimed at helping people to cut their calorie consumption.

Last edited by mummza (Sun 06 May 12 2:18pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 06 May 12 4:03pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Re: Steven Gerrard and Jamie Oliver call on PM to fight obesity

I fully agree that cooking skills should be taught in schools , and we have I know discussed this in the past here on the forum , I thought with the food revolution day coming up on the 19th May that we could reopen a discussion on our thoughts about teaching cooking in schools.

Over recent years with my 4 children going through the school system I was quite shocked aat the level of cookery that happened in the highschools here in the UK.

My children were fortunate as I always cooked at home and used fresh ingredients and from a young age , they learned about food and cooking skills from what they saw and what they ate as well as trying out cooking themselves .

However , learning about cooking in school.. well that was negligable.
One daughter tells me she made
a quiche ( was meant to take in bought pastry but she made it at hme to take in )
a baked potato ... with a simple filling ... cheese or similar !
a salad
and chcolate chip cupcakes....
Not a great deal of skill as I am sure you are the first to agree.
Much of the work they dis in the food tecnology classes was done on worksheets and not a practical skill.

Primary schools here in the UK do tell children about foods that are healthy and foods that are not and I know that many do try to cook with the children as and when they are able , but  there is a limit  to what can be included in within the strict guidelines of the national curriculum.

When I was at school , we learned to cook , we learned about all the different meats, vegetables, pastry , breads , cakes , how to peel , chop , grate etc etc .
Skills that could get a person through any cookerybook that they would come across ( well almost any cookery book ! ) .
These days I dont think that the skills taught would get you very far at all.

I would like to see a good range of cooking skills taught in schools , ones that will help , ones that are not mainly learned from worksheets or booklets.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 13 May 12 10:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

bump

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 14 May 12 11:09am

curriculum cook

Member since Tue 08 May 12

I wonder how many primary schools are doing as we are, teaching cookery and linking it to the curriculum....? Numeracy, literacy, science, social skills all come into our cookery lessons. Every child from aged 4 - 11 cooks regularly and will leave us with a skill set that enables them to safely prepare healthy meals from scratch. Not only do they learn to cook and eat well, their cross curricular skills are enhanced through use in the practical kitchen environment.
This week, in time for The food Revolution, we have an article and photographs in our local paper.
We would be happy to speak with anyone wishing to learn more about how we have set up our cookery programme and what we have discovered over the 2 years it has been running.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 14 May 12 7:06pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

curriculum cook could you write a bit about what you cook with the children here on the forum , it will be interesting to here about your experiences.
I would also love to see some photos of thngs that the chiildren cook .
I am a great beleiver in getting children cooking and I know that this in turn gives the parents confidence to start to cook.

thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 14 May 12 8:22pm

curriculum cook

Member since Tue 08 May 12

Hi, if you go to the school website: www.greatdunmowprimary.co.uk and look on the cookery page you can see what we do...I always take lots of photographs and it is fairly up to date.
When I have a little more time, I will write in more detail but to give you an idea, we start with gingerbread men for the first Foundation stage lesson, as this is a theme running through the numeracy and literacy lessons in class. The children cook in groups of 6. Our cookery skill is sifting, a good coordination exercise. The children take it in turns to cream the mixture etc. We smell the ginger and cinnamon and taste and smell treacle and syrup and compare them. They make patterns when adding the treacle and syrup.  They help roll out the dough, use their chosen cutters and count out their currants...all fine motor skills and a bit of numeracy. The children take it in turns to fetch things so listening skillls and ability to follow instructions are important. every aspect of the cuuriculum gets covered in most lessons, on a similar basis to lesson 1! In their second session they make vegetable stir fry cooking on the hob and eating what they make but that is another tale for another day...take a look at the photographs in the meantime!

Likes (0)