forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Mar 07 9:17pm

johnheeley199

Member
Occupation Hgv Driver
From Dewsbury West Yorkshire
Member since Sun 24 Dec 06

reheating chicken

due to the nature of my job, truck driving, i have to make dinners that i can reheat in my wagon. i have been living off beef and lamb stews for months now, preparing and making on a saturday night, for reheating on a sunday evening. my question is can i make a chicken cassarole and reheat it safely the following evening wíthout resigning myself to the grave-yard??

    Likes (0)

#2 Fri 16 Mar 07 5:00pm

schoolcook

Member
Occupation school cook/ chef
From north west
Member since Wed 11 Oct 06

Re: reheating chicken

yes you can, BUT it must hve been cooled quickly after cooking and then kept in a fridge until needed ,the temp of the fridge should have a holding temperature of at least 5deg c .
If you have not kept it in a fridge or frozen it ,I would bin it as bacteria would have started to multiply +ur at the risk of food poisening yourself,This applies to all high protien foods(all food)

Chicken can be re-heated once only to a temp of 85 degrees c and maintained at this temperature 4 at least 5mins (the chicken should be piping hot to ensure heated right through)
Happpy reheating

    Likes (0)

#3 Sun 18 Mar 07 10:07am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: reheating chicken

All food should only be reheated once.

this website may help:

http://www.foodsafety.asn.au/publicatio … om3047.cfm

    Likes (0)

#4 Mon 07 May 12 3:00am

tfnippon

Member
Member since Mon 07 May 12

Re: reheating chicken

id never say never about these things.

always as a kid i would pick at the leftover meats from christmas and sunday lunch 24 hours after cooking when they had just been left out on the side, not refrigerated or anything. i have always been happy to eat meats out for about 24 hrs since then, never been ill from it.
i am eating a chicken stir fry right now which i made last night probably 27 hours ago, left on the cooker and reheated once this afternoon for lunch and im confident i wont be ill.
if the room temp was very warm i probably wouldnt touch it but its been cool here.

i would say if the room is cool and you only reheat once, it will be fine. often fridges are the worst place because people will already have fruit and veg in the fridge which has moulded and left spores everywhere even if it was taken out.

its not like i have a particularly strong stomach either, i had to stop ordering from my local chinese because 3 times in a row they gave me food poisoning, i cant imagine the state of their kitchen.

    Likes (0)

#5 Mon 07 May 12 12:37pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: reheating chicken

Welcome to the forum tfnippon  smile


tfnippon wrote:

id never say never about these things.

always as a kid i would pick at the leftover meats from christmas and sunday lunch 24 hours after cooking when they had just been left out on the side, not refrigerated or anything. i have always been happy to eat meats out for about 24 hrs since then, never been ill from it.
i am eating a chicken stir fry right now which i made last night probably 27 hours ago, left on the cooker and reheated once this afternoon for lunch and im confident i wont be ill.
if the room temp was very warm i probably wouldnt touch it but its been cool here.

with this beng an international forum we have to be quite carefull  with the advice that we give to others and whist you might have been ok leaving meat out for thise lengths of time its not a recomended thing to do as bacterias can start to multiply a a fairy low temperature.
It is best to always refridgerate the meat.
It is also improtant to reherat thing fully as this will help to kill off any pathogens that have been growing in the meat.

tfnippon wrote:

often fridges are the worst place because people will already have fruit and veg in the fridge which has moulded and left spores everywhere even if it was taken out.

I think that most people check and clean out their fridges frrequently so this should not be an issue.

Sorry to be disagreeing with your first post here on the forum , but we have forum members from all parts of the world who either just pop in to read the form or to join in as you have done. we have to be sure that the correct advice is given .
.

I think you must be very good at reheating your food , and reheat it to a high temperature , then let ot cool a little before eating it and this is why you have been ok so far .thumbsup

Please dont be put off the forum by me saying these things , its nt uncommon for one of us to disagree with another so  do stay arund and join in with the other threads.

    Likes (0)

#6 Mon 07 May 12 3:16pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: reheating chicken

tfnippon, As they say, 'Life begins at 40, degrees Farenheit, that is' (4.4 C.).  Since most people's homes are above 4.4 C. inside, it's safest to store food in the refrigerator, wrapped up tightly or in airtight containers.  The fridge should be clean!

Why would you not refrigerate your leftovers?

There is nothing wrong with eating refrigerated, cold leftover chicken.  In fact, I would not reheat cooked chicken more than once as this can introduce problems.

    Likes (0)

#7 Mon 07 May 12 11:57pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: reheating chicken

johnheeley199 wrote:

due to the nature of my job, truck driving, i have to make dinners that i can reheat in my wagon. i have been living off beef and lamb stews for months now, preparing and making on a saturday night, for reheating on a sunday evening. my question is can i make a chicken cassarole and reheat it safely the following evening wíthout resigning myself to the grave-yard??

Meats once cooked, cooled before storing in the fridge over night or upto two days to be re-heated and consumed is OK.

Re-heated once only....then eat cold or throw away.

    Likes (0)

Powered by PunBB.