forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 07 May 12 10:36pm

auntycarol

Member since Fri 05 Oct 07

Indian food Cooking Demo

I am starting on a new adventure in my life and my first cookery demo is on indian food, samosas, parathas, prawn curry, tandoori chicken and more... I can fit a party of six guests there will plenty of tasters and everyone will go home with a goody bag.  If you are interested in attending it is on the 25th of this month 6pm-9pm and the cost is 45.  I am also thinking of demonstrating cake making including cupcakes.  Please message me if interested.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 03 Jun 12 10:07am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Indian food Cooking Demo

That sounded interesting and I hope all went well with the new venture.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 18 Jun 12 3:04am

auntycarol

Member since Fri 05 Oct 07

Thanks for the reply, the demo went really well they all loved the food and even had a go making parathas and samosas.  I have had good feedback and my chicken tandoori was made by one of them recently and the family loved it!  Looking forward to my next one.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 18 Jun 12 4:12am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Congratulations! Sounds yum! yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 18 Jun 12 1:41pm

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

I have never been able to keep the pastry samosa covers intact whilst frying. I once ate at our Qatari agent's house and his wife (Lebanese) served some wonderful bite size samosas. I enquired as to how she could make the triangles so small but still keep them intact? She told me it was easy - make the stuffing yourself and take it around to the pastry shop for them to provide the pastry and fill the samosas.

Without a local pastry shop, I now resort to using samosa filling in spring roll pastry.

http://freebeerforyorky.com/spring.html

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 18 Jun 12 2:19pm

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

Back in 2000 when we first moved into our house here, I was asked by two of my neighbour's children if I could assist them with a school project. They were required to cook a foreign (to them) dish which would be judged the following day by their teachers.

Given that it would require re-heating or eaten cold, I decided fish and chips or roast beef and Yorkshires would not really be suitable. After some deliberation, and given that many Thais do not eat beef, I suggested an old Mridula favourite, egg and potato dum (they provide the eggs).

The designated afternoon came round and they duly arrived to commence their introduction to Indian cuisine cooking. Now my kitchen is not small compared to Thai standards but mine was designed for me and my wife. What I had failed to grasp was that the class had been divided into four for this project, so I ended up with 12 x 13 year old girls in my kitchen! Impossible! In the end we lined then up as neatly as possible along the back wall and I proceeded to cook the dish with them watching.

The dish won one of the four prizes.

As an aside, one of the girls is now standing for mayor of our village. Doesn't time fly?

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 19 Jun 12 12:59am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

What a great tale BeerforYorky! Time does fly!
I can't help but hope she becomes Mayor! smile

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 19 Jun 12 5:54am

jazyscott

Member since Thu 14 Jun 12

That's awesome.  I like samosa, whether it is vegetable or meat.  It is delicious  and appetizing, great with tea. A perfect snack!

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 12 Sep 12 4:12am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

What a great tale BeerforYorky! Time does fly!
I can't help but hope she becomes Mayor! smile

The majority of the village think she's too young (25 ish)

http://freebeerforyorky.com/images/lekbanner.jpg

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 12 Sep 12 10:12am

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

I've always fancied having a go at samosas. on hairy bikers one of the mums made them with flour tortillas, just like the ones you can get from some snack outlets in london. Mmm!

Likes (0)