Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Mon 14 May 12 10:51pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Composting

I think that rats are more attracted to cooked foods and I only put vegetable peelings into the compost bin , plus coffee grunds , an occasional layer of shredded paper and the odd layer of compost from the other compost bin !

I never add cooked food to the compost.
My cmpost bins are at the end of y little walled garden and I have put a rose arch over them to disguise them a bit !

Likes (0)

#32 Mon 14 May 12 11:01pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

adding milled pruned branches (??) makes the compost immediately warm and reduces it in a few days considerably smile

Likes (0)

#33 Tue 15 May 12 12:25am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi BritFinn, it is the difference between a pile of rotting foodscraps and a working compost that is important when thinking about rats etc.
They are generally there for the foodscraps.

A live compost has lots of 'brown dry' ingredients ie dry leaves, straw, shredded paper, and the milled prunings Mada mentioned. They add warmth and spaces inbetween for oxygen to balance out the kitchen waste and other 'green moist' things.

You have to think of it as a pet that does need care and attention. A very easy pet! It stays still and is inexpensive to feed. The turning is its weekly exercise!

Here is the best info I have seen. It even mentions composting in Alaska!
http://journeytoforever.org/compost_make.html
wave

Likes (0)

#34 Tue 15 May 12 10:09am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Oh thank you so much.  I really want to get one started, but it will need to compete for a spot with my OH's wood piles (I think he's a frustrated Paul Bunyan).  But I'll definitely give it a go thumbsup

Likes (0)

#35 Mon 21 May 12 3:50pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

in the end it was too busy a wekend and the compost did not get scattered on the garden , never mind... another week it will get done !

Likes (0)