Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 17 May 12 12:19pm

Star86r

Member since Wed 16 May 12

Catering tips appreciated

Hi, can anyone please help me?

I need to make a savoury pastry dish for a work function and Iím thinking of doing puffy pastry tarts (either a  3 cheese or onion tart). Can this kind of dish be made a week ahead & frozen? If not, how long will it last once cook and what is the best storage method, being cheese I would automatically store it in fridge /freezer but I don't want soggy pastry?

I need to cater for approx. 80 - 100 servers, which mean that I canít make it on the same day, and we don't have an oven at work so the tarts will need to be cooked beforehand and eaten cold.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 17 May 12 1:56pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Catering tips appreciated

I don't see why not.  I usually make cheese phyllo dough triangles.  Just lay them on a sheet pan and put in the freezer until frozen.  Once frozen transfer to ziploc bags and then pull them out when you need them.  To be safe, I would do a test run of your pastries, freeze them and then the next day cook a batch from frozen, and then cook a batch that has thawed a bit and see which worked better.

Another thing you could do that would be even easier is to make swirls.  Lay out the puff pastry and spread it with your cheese mixture (make sure there is some color in your mixture by adding an herb or some proscuitto).  Roll back up and chill over night.  The next day cut into slices and bake.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 18 May 12 1:45am

Star86r

Member since Wed 16 May 12

Thanks for your tips Koukouvagia I will give the tarts & swirls a test run this weekend!

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 12 Aug 13 9:59am

Bevisngus

Occupation Catering services
From Melbourne
Member since Tue 23 Jul 13

Thanks for this tips. Best to know this excellent services.

Likes (0)