Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 23 May 12 11:09am

Mad parent

Member since Wed 23 May 12

School Dinners

Hi, I have been a mum in the school system for 25 years, and over the last few months I am losing the will to live as far as school dinner, the so called cooks and the the rules everyone in school kitchens should live by.
In the last few month my children have repeatedly been given food with the cooks hair in it.....yuk!!!! When I have spoken to the school, asked why the cooks don't wear hair nets am just ignored. My children have time and time again come home with upset tummy's, I know the answer is send them in packed lunch but I can't afford it, so they have me over a barrel. The other day my daughter saw a hair in the potatoes and the cook took her plate back and without gloves on removed the hair. Then gave it back to her. I really dont think this is good enough.
Also healthy food, well thats a laugh. fish finger pie...... This is fish fingers covered in baked beans then cheesey mash baked... my children say its really nasty.
I might not be so angry but I live in the middle of the country surrounded by field of veg. It so cheap to buy veg here. It really does'nt make any sense to me.
Let kids eat healthy food instead of rubbish.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 23 May 12 12:01pm

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

Re: School Dinners

You don't say which country you are from.

Please

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 23 May 12 1:50pm

Mad parent

Member since Wed 23 May 12

Hi Am from UK.  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 23 May 12 2:05pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

If they'll decde to stay there I'll have a granddaughter going to school one day there please fight for her aswell you have all my support in being arrabbiata (madamada was my previous name here, I thought it as being mad but amada/loved)

what you say  about having all sorts of vegs and giving children  puke makes me so very angry angry

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 23 May 12 7:47pm

dhartley

Occupation Office Wallah
From Yorkshire / E Sussex
Member since Thu 15 Mar 12

Cheap veg? Theres your answer!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 23 May 12 8:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

welcome to the forum Mad parent  smile

Are your children in the state school system or the private school system.

I am afrais the school cooks do very very much from school to school as do the schol dinners vary.

The only advice that I can give you is to in the first instance write to the school head teacher and if ask if you can call to see her/ him to discuss the matter .
This is always a good start .
I am unsure if this is what you have already done , as you said that you spoke 'to the school' but not who you spoke to .

In most schools the catering is run by the council and not by the school itself.
Dispite this it is always god to discuss the matter with the school head teacher.

Can your children take in a packed sandwich lunch or do they need to have a cooked school lunch ?

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 23 May 12 9:05pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Sounds like the issues you raise would be more of a problem for the Environmental Health Department. Perhaps talking to your local one would yield some results. The issue I'm getting from your post is down to piss poor personal hygiene on the part of the caterers.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 23 May 12 9:46pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I believe there are two issues - violations of health and safety regulations by food workers and poor quality food.  Here in the U.S., they must wear a hair net or some form of hair control.  Once the food is served, if it's returned to the kitchen, they are obligated to serve a new plate of food.  It's incorrect for the food worker to serve food she/he knew was unsanitary because it contained hair.  That food should have been binned and the child given a fresh plate of clean food.

It's no wonder kids feel so knocked around by authority and fed up with the way they're treated in school.  It's very dehumanizing for a child to be served unsanitary food.

I'd be tempted to bypass the school on the food safety issues and instead contact food safety authorities.  You should take up the other issues of your children not being given basic respect by employees of the school and the quality of food served with the administration.  I would say that you might suggest they offer a salad bar, but as it is, your children should not be eating anything uncooked that's been handled by food workers who violate food safety regulations constantly.

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 23 May 12 10:50pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 24 May 12 7:28am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I would not relate the children having 'upset tummies' with the school dinners , sadly people DO send their children to school with 'upset tummies ' or sickness bugs , it could possibly have been caught from another child , it might also be an issue with something as sime as the soap in the toilets not being refilled .
If the children getting 'upset tummys' was to do with the school
Dinners there would be a large number of children unwell at one time and the matter would likely have been reported to the authorities for investigation.

With the hair in the food , in the school kitchens in the authority where I love the cooks wear hats , check out the policy in the area that you live .

Now I am in no way doubting the child , but children do sometimes say things that they think adults want to hear or they say things for effect to achieve a goal .. This could be protesting about the dinners to enable a sandwich lunch to be made.

Sandwich lunches need not be expensive , some children in the school that I help in take things like a pasta salad , or couscous with roasted vegetables or some often bring leftovers from the evenings supper . flasks of homemade soup or a bit of Dahl and a chappati ..whilst others bring lunches that are of no nutritional value .
You do not have to follow the trends and send a child with crisps/ potato chips , chocolate biscuits and the like , things like homemade flapjacks are cheap and easy to make filling and enjoyable , children can also help to make them.

I still think you would be better aproaching the head teacher in the first instance , she/he should be able to assistain if there have been other children have had similar issues with the school dinners .
If you don't feel your queries have been awnsered then you could go to either the school goveners of the local education authority as they will know who is contracted to do the catering.

Personally thinking  , I do not think that a hair in food is something that an environmental health department would initially get involved in unless it had caused a problem to the health of the individual .
A hair found in food  might be unpleasant and off putting but a single human hair is unlikely to be much risk to human health.
However , I am not saying there is not a problem with this school kitchen , it does sound like that they need a bit of help .

Regards the quality of what is being fed to the children for their school dinners , that is very much down to each indervidual school authority as they set the menus and dictate where food stuffs are provided from , the school itself has little to do with the process ( as far as I am aware ) the school will send in numbers of children eating school dinners  and ensure that they have the correct supplies in their pantry to cook the weeks menu . The council set the menu and organise the suppliers and supply of the food stuffs , the school simply cook what they are told they have yo cook on each day .

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 24 May 12 1:34pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It's not a big health issue to find one hair in food, but apparently her kids find hair in the food often and the staff isn't using any hair control.  If that's a violation of food safety regulations, and it should be, then she has a right to bring it up to the proper authorities.

I'm not suggesting the hair in the food made the kids sick.  I'm saying, it's disgusting and should be against health codes.  Just because they are children, does not mean that they should have to eat something with hair in it because it could be coated with  hair spray or other hair products or dandruff, sweat, dust, pollution or worse!  Hair picks up a lot of crud from the air and scalp secretions.    It shows a lack of basic hygiene and care in making the food which could indicate they are not careful in other ways as well.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 24 May 12 1:42pm)

Likes (0)